Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite Sussex CCC line-up

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Austin Edward Werring Parsons.
Do younger readers realise what this man achieved? He came over from New Zealand and set targets that no living Sussex cricketer has neared, before or since. No woman in the Brighton and Hove area was safe whilst the blond bomber was around. One after another, he went through them like a plague of locusts through a cornfield.
Picked to play against the touring Australians at Hove ( 1975? ) he was about 20 something not out overnight. Not for Mr. Parsons a cup of cocoa and an early night, no siree. To put it bluntly, he was at it all night. Result....141 next day!
Legend doesn't do the man justice. We should all doff our caps in silent and envious admiration.

Respect! Unfortunately though I suspect his energies were drained by his off-pitch exploits as his overall performance with the bat was pretty ordinary? He'd star in a different kind of dream team maybe?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The case of Gehan Mendis got me thinking about other Sussex players who left and found other counties. Obviously these days there's load who come and go (eg Yasir Arafat) so I've limited myself to players who were established in the team. Here's my X1. The fast bowling is rather thin...................and also correct me if I'm wrong.

Speight
Mendis
Goodwin
Parker
Wells (Colin)
Ambrose
Reeve
Hodd
Salisbury
Cheatle
Giddins

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
This thread is such a good read, I mentioned it last night when I saw my Father. He's well into his 70's and not an NSC'er but played a great deal of club cricket in Sussex. I asked him to compile a best/favourite XI of Sussex CCC players he played with or against in club cricket in Sussex. The younger players were from his 2nd XI days in his 50's:

Les Lenham (Three Bridges)
Tim Booth-Jones (Hastings)
Alan Wells (Brighton & Hove)
Simon Hoadley (Bexhill)
Colin Wells (Brighton & Hove)
Michael Yardy* (Hastings)
Andy Hodd+ (Bexhill)
Nicky Phillips (Hastings)
John Denman (Three Bridges)
John Snow (East Grinstead)
Tony Piggott (East Grinstead)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The case of Gehan Mendis got me thinking about other Sussex players who left and found other counties. Obviously these days there's load who come and go (eg Yasir Arafat) so I've limited myself to players who were established in the team. Here's my X1. The fast bowling is rather thin...................and also correct me if I'm wrong.

Speight
Mendis
Goodwin
Parker
Wells (Colin)
Ambrose
Reeve
Hodd
Salisbury
Cheatle
Giddins

You could have Alan Wells as well - he moved to Kent.

If you're looking for bowlers who moved there's Alan Jones, Adrian Jones, Billy Taylor, Danny Law to pick from

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
This thread is such a good read, I mentioned it last night when I saw my Father. He's well into his 70's and not an NSC'er but played a great deal of club cricket in Sussex. I asked him to compile a best/favourite XI of Sussex CCC players he played with or against in club cricket in Sussex. The younger players were from his 2nd XI days in his 50's:

Simon Hoadley (Bexhill)
Andy Hodd+ (Bexhill)

Cracking team showing the strength of club cricket in Sussex. I don't remember Nicky Phillips though (no disrespect intended). Great involve your dad in this thread too!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Cracking team showing the strength of club cricket in Sussex. I don't remember Nicky Phillips though (no disrespect intended). Great involve your dad in this thread too!

Some of the test players he mentioned playing against were impressive in showing the strength of club cricket in Sussex - John Edrich, Greg Richie, Tim May, Chris Matthews.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You could have Alan Wells as well - he moved to Kent.

If you're looking for bowlers who moved there's Alan Jones, Adrian Jones, Billy Taylor, Danny Law to pick from

I'd almost completely forgotten Adrian Jones. In the halcyon days of my youth Jones, Imran, Le Roux and Stephenson were the quick bowlers of real note. Watching live, Jones was actually the most fearsome of them - not just quick, but also a real intent to scare the batsman.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'd almost completely forgotten Adrian Jones. In the halcyon days of my youth Jones, Imran, Le Roux and Stephenson were the quick bowlers of real note. Watching live, Jones was actually the most fearsome of them - not just quick, but also a real intent to scare the batsman.

I have a vague memory of one of the fast bowlers of the time injuring his wrist by writing a letter. Missed a number of matches. It may have been Adrian Jones or possibly Tim Pigott. Halcyon days indeed. That 1981 county championship battle with Notts was an amazing summer.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have a vague memory of one of the fast bowlers of the time injuring his wrist by writing a letter.

Can't remember a Sussex player doing it (although one might have done) but Derek Pringle missed a test match after being injured writing letters - not from the actual writing though, his chair collapsed. Hasn't stopped there being an urban myth about it

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Can't remember a Sussex player doing it (although one might have done) but Derek Pringle missed a test match after being injured writing letters - not from the actual writing though, his chair collapsed. Hasn't stopped there being an urban myth about it

Some online research hasn't yielded the name (and I may have imagined it). However I did find this which is an enjoyable read:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/1712709.stm

Apologies to the thread for going a little off topic but I don't have much on today !

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove

Simon Hoadley (Bexhill)
Andy Hodd+ (Bexhill)

Blimey, that's brought back a few memories. Booth-Jones was a really good player. As was Jeremy Heath at Three Bridges (scored his only first-class hundred for Sussex against Sri Lanka in the early 80s.).

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Some of the test players he mentioned playing against were impressive in showing the strength of club cricket in Sussex - John Edrich, Greg Richie, Tim May, Chris Matthews.

...others to play in the Sussex League....Imran Khan, Keppler Wessels, Tony Greig, Ian Greig, Yajuvendra Singh, Merrick Pringle. ....amongst others.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
...others to play in the Sussex League....Imran Khan, Keppler Wessels, Tony Greig, Ian Greig, Yajuvendra Singh, Merrick Pringle. ....amongst others.

In more recent times Monty Panesar, Craig Ervine and Saeed Ajmal have all played in the SCL.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Blimey, that's brought back a few memories. Booth-Jones was a really good player. As was Jeremy Heath at Three Bridges (scored his only first-class hundred for Sussex against Sri Lanka in the early 80s.).

Booth-Jones sadly never scored a deserved century for Sussex. A stalwart Hastings United fan too and a regular at The Pilot Field.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Booth-Jones sadly never scored a deserved century for Sussex. A stalwart Hastings United fan too and a regular at The Pilot Field.

Always good to see locals making it into the county side and even better when they get their county cap - and also when they stay or return to the area. Ian Thompson (fast bowler from the 60s) turned up as a supply teacher at my son's school some years back. I tried to explain to my lad the significance of this and that he (Thompson, not my son) had once taken 10 wickets in an innings no more than a mile from where we having the conversation. When GNT junior showed no interest in, or awareness of, this momentous achievement I nearly booked a place on the bloody Jeremy Kyle show to do a DNA test!

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
My all-time favourite Sussex Xi would include Giles Cheatle, Austin Edward Werring Parsons, Paul Philipson, Jerry Morley, John Spencer, Roger Philip Twells Marshall, Tony & Mike Buss, John Denman and Peter Graves but that is another story altogether.

somw great names there
apparently John Denman once took 4-5 in a one day game? anyone remember when!

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
4 Day:
Montgomerie
Nash
Goodwin
Adams
Wright
Prior
RMJ
Magoffin
Kirtley
Ahmed
Lewry

Honorable Mentions/12th Men:
Yardy
Brown
Rana

Limited Overs:
McCullum
Nash
Wright
Goodwin
Smith
Carey
Weise
Rashid
Arafat
Jofra
Kirtley

Honorable Mentions/12th Men:
Jayawardene
Yardy
Mo Sami

(Yes my first game was in 2005)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Tough one. But assuming we are only allowed two overseas players:

Annotation 2020-09-02 004436.png

Batting is very serviceable, bowling is to die for.

Arnold Long might challenge for the keeper slot, but not sure if he was better than Gould or not. If not much between them it's Gould who was the better batsman.

Martin-Jenkins might challenge for Greig juniors place.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here