Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Your favourite Sixties songs

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
You just had to have lived through that decade to appreciate how music changed several times and how all different genres arose and interracted. A favourite one year was blasted out of the water the next by something completely different.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I could’ve missed out altogether on the decade’s music, being just an infant in the late 60’s. But my Dad loved pop music, Radio 1, The Beatles, The Stones, The Who and so on. Passing that passion on to us kids.

Definitely a defining decade, where pop and rock was transformed in so many ways. Even the yanks admitted that Lennon, McCartney, Richards, Jagger were the catalyst, throwing out all the old conformities. Creative geniuses.

But the Yanks were the source of the material that the Beatles/Stones/Who covered in the UK when they started off, namely R&B, Motown, Stax, etc

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Love The Kinks (I’ve had run-ins with a NSC’er, who always appears, to slag off their song writing and everything else). Unique, talented, memorable.

I guess that many people who don’t rate them haven’t listened to their catalogue. Whilst most pop songs of the 60s were about relationships between men and women, most of Davies’s work is akin to social and historic commentary on pre and post war England, its people and their lives. A poet who, despite his knighthood, I don’t think has been recognised by many as such.

With the advent of Spotify etc, people can at least now listen to his stuff without having to buy the albums. Village Green and Arthur are worth a listen.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
:clap2:
I loved this song until recent years:ffsparr:

The Dave Clark 5 were all Tottenham boys who supported Spurs. Not their fault that Pal-arse hijacked their song.

This is my favourite of theirs, perfect for a Saturdat night.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But the Yanks were the source of the material that the Beatles/Stones/Who covered in the UK when they started off, namely R&B, Motown, Stax, etc

Exactly. The UK bands worshipped the 50’s/early 60’s innovators, then took it to amazing, different place themselves.

The Byrds said “The Beatles didn’t just push the envelope, they tore it up and created a whole new envelope”. They were in awe.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The entire Prince Buster back catalogue. The sound he was able to produce with the technology of the time and fantastic musicians. Ska fans and rappers should all be grateful.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It would be easy to crash NSC with fantastic music from the 60's. Equally, like every decade, it had some dirge. Dave Clark 5 for example!

Stax, Motown, Studio one, Trojan, Decca/Deram Island. . . . . Apple immediate and Track!

And this wonderful slice.

https://youtu.be/zOusKPeH7nU

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
[yt]0Zp4NbXE0_o[/yt]
Anything by Marvin, absolute God, saw him at the Brighton Centre 1980 I think it was....magic

[yt]54LgyqSPfsQ[/yt]

[yt]jzdP-wkyV5w[/yt]

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
[yt]fPr3yvkHYsE[/yt]

A voice like velvet

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
[yt]HUuuHLaSLR0[/yt]

Elder brother was an original Brighton Mod....grew up with the Small Faces and The Who music

[yt]SHhrZgojY1Q[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here