Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Your favourite city in the world

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Controversial maybe, but I do love London. Outside the UK, Prague or Berlin.

Biggest shithole was Moscow. Absolute dump.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Seville, Palma de Mallorca and Venice in that order.

The second is an absolute gem with brilliant restaurants , unfortunately missed by many people who fly there go to a resort and never get to see the capital.

Seville is my second home, but every time I go to Venice I still can't believe it exists.

Vancouver probably the fourth but I do love Spain. I went there randomly to see the Pixies and it is stunning. It does have some very dark corners and a huge addiction issue.

Last edited:

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Buenos Aires (the posh bit in the middle) was a lovely city to visit...The peso was worth the square route of far call and lived like a king for a fortnight...

Taking in a match at the Bombonera ( Boca v Argentinos Jnrs ) made it virtually certain would never experience a better atmosphere at a sporting event, the steaks were majestic and some great pubs and bars to boot...

I'm against the room re Copenhagen...Found it tired, not especially clean with loads of feral youths hanging about cuffing cans of Carlsberg...The walk from the centre to the Parken stadium was pleasant enough but nothing Amsterdam doesn't have which I prefer way more

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
NYC
London
Amsterdam

Smaller cities - Bath, Brighton, Stockholm, Liverpool, Oslo.

Having to pick just one - NYC.

Yes Amsterdam is lovely if you avoid the twats from England. It's the city I've visited more than any other because pre pandemic I used to go to an exhibition there every year with friends. I've probably been twenty times.

Terrible food though for Europe.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
…it’s Brighton and Hove.

I’ve been to so many fantastic cities. Cape Town. Tokyo. Delhi. Quito before we fell in love with all things Ecuadorean. Amsterdam. New York. Sydney. Kathmandu and so on and so on.

Nowhere makes me quite as happy as Brighton does. I always leave it feeling better than when I arrived. It’s attitude is second to none.

Of course, not actually living there probably makes a difference. :lol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The only what's-your-favourite question I can answer is what's your favourite football team.

Cities, bands, food, I'd struggle to limit it to under 20.

This.

My favourites are Brighton, Sydney, Tokyo, Taipei, Barcelona, Rome, Bucharest but I could say very good things about a lot more.

The OP won't be happy but I hated Venice. Found it expensive, smelly and easy to get lost in (which is a bonus if you're going to find something interesting rather than another overpriced cafe or "attraction"). Most other places I've been I can say something positive about, even Birmingham and Chennai.

Another on the shit list is Dublin. Overpriced and without the charm of the West Coast or rural bits of Ireland.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Love Barcelona, but not as much as Seville or Palma.

Valencia is "ok", with a remarkable beach but is really a second grade Barcelona. I'd never go again.

My favourite place in Barcelona is the not very well advertised bar on the top of the maritime museum that overlooks the port.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The only what's-your-favourite question I can answer is what's your favourite football team.

Cities, bands, food, I'd struggle to limit it to under 20.

Agree…..can’t choose a single favourite city at all (although plenty on this thread wouldn’t be anywhere near my top 10, including New York, Venice, Singapore and San Francisco for starters). Vancouver, Miami, Edinburgh, Madrid, Bogota, Budapest and several others would be in the mix for me.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The OP won't be happy but I hated Venice. Found it expensive, smelly and easy to get lost in (which is a bonus if you're going to find something interesting rather than another overpriced cafe or "attraction").

You need to go a few times and that easier said than done obviously. First time I went I got absolutely fleeced.

After the third visit I got to know the city (and the other islands) and how not to get ripped off.

That's why I love Seville and Spain generally. It's really hard to get ripped off and you can be eating and drinking under a national monument and the price is the same.

I've found it literally impossible to have a bad meal or be ripped off in Seville. It's a "locals town".

Unlike Paris (or London) for instance.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It depends on what is the biggest stimulation of interest.

I love places rich in social and working class history and architecture, so I'm more likely to prefer Barnsley to New York.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Another vote for Vancouver.
Never been myself but a few people I know rave about Buenos Aires.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Vancouver, could quite happily resettle out there. If I wanted somwhere a bit edgier then Cape Town...

Yes, Vancouver. Lived there for four years.

But....I'm going Faversham. It's bloody lovely here. Best weather, easy access to sea swimming, May to October. Amazing countryside, low crime rate....nice neighbours....nice house. Whenever I have travelled over the last 20 years, the best bit about the trip was the thought of coming home. I can't lie. I love travel (even though it stresses the **** out of me) but....:O:rave::cheery::salute:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here