Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Your favourite city in the world

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[A pedant writes] It's always a tricky decision as to whether to use English or German names, but surely you need to be consistent: München and Köln or Munich and Cologne

I agree consistency is a good thing. That said, the big footall club in the south is commonly known as Bayern Munich which combines both German and English in one name.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Berlin is great for a long weekend. The wife took me there for my 40th as Im a bit of a WW2 history nerd, and we had a brilliant time exploring.

However - my favourite city in the world has to be San Diego. Only been a couple of times (28yrs apart!) but it has the most amazing vibe, climate / weather etc. and there is so much to do in a fairly small area - that is all walk-able and safe.

the Waterfront...the USS Midway museum...the Harbour tours...Old Town...Little Italy...San Diego Zoo...Coronado Island...Petco Park for baseball...a cheap and easy tram system to get around on...its a magical place.

So friendly & laid back...a "must" visit imo.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Berlin is great for a long weekend. The wife took me there for my 40th as Im a bit of a WW2 history nerd, and we had a brilliant time exploring.

However - my favourite city in the world has to be San Diego. Only been a couple of times (28yrs apart!) but it has the most amazing vibe, climate / weather etc. and there is so much to do in a fairly small area - that is all walk-able and safe.

the Waterfront...the USS Midway museum...the Harbour tours...Old Town...Little Italy...San Diego Zoo...Coronado Island...Petco Park for baseball...a cheap and easy tram system to get around on...its a magical place.

So friendly & laid back...a "must" visit imo.

I agree San Diego is really nice. Fantastic climate .

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Jerusalem - History, History and History, dripping through every pore. A mix of different religions/cultures and people.

The Old City is fantastic, Three (not counting the Armenian quarter) different religions and cultures crammed in to such a small area. Always something happening.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Very nearly bought a 4 bed townhouse overlooking the river Arun in the late 80’s for £56k. Didn’t do it and every time I go there now, I see it and think that I wish I did.

Lovely. Without making you feel bad... must be well over a million now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I agree consistency is a good thing. That said, the big footall club in the south is commonly known as Bayern Munich which combines both German and English in one name.

Yeah, my German teacher regularly moaned about the inconsistency in that :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Tokyo.

Lived and worked there for just over 4 years. And I would go back and do it all again in a heartbeat.

One of the most fantastic places where modern and traditional culture exists side by side in harmony, fantastic food, where great friendships have been established, and just an all-round amazing place.

You do get some dodgy sorts drinking pints of gin and tonic in the karaoke joints though...... :whistle:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, my German teacher regularly moaned about the inconsistency in that :lolol:

And West Germany never existed either. This is something which has always annoyed me.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Copenhagen being mentioned was one I was tempted by and not as big as I’d assumed (a good thing and nice community). Along with mentions for Stockholm or Gothenburg. If only the winters weren’t as long (the intensity would be nice enough if shorter). Prague is nice too in a slightly more ‘untamed’ way but I haven’t been in the last 10 years after fairly regular visits before that and probably didn’t see the bad parts as much. Zizkov doesn’t really count as bad right and even 20 years ago was starting to be gentrified slightly. Am sure it’s become a bit of a Shoreditch these days?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Copenhagen being mentioned was one I was tempted by and not as big as I’d assumed (a good thing and nice community).

I remember being amazed how there were so many bikes just left on the street and not locked - try doing that in Brighton

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Was lucky enough to take a year out in 2019 (returning just in time for the pandy) and the two standouts of many of the wonderful cities we visited were probably Hiroshima and Seoul.

I'd go back in a heartbeat to either of those.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I absolutely adore Ljubljana, perfect size, very pretty, very walkable and very friendly. Also got the delights of the seaside only half an hours drive away and Lake Bled which is stunning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here