Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Albion story... when did it start?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
September 1977 against Hull - I was 11. My older cousin took me, and we were in the standing bit of the West Stand, as he had promised my mum I would be in a 'safe' bit. A goal down, and we scored a great goal, and everyone got excited (obviously). My cousin said something along the lines of 'that won't happen again' - only for us to score another great goal a minute or so after the first. Pretty sure Wardy was one of the scorers (of course).

By the end of the season I was going with schoolfriends on our own - a group of 3-4 11/12 year olds. We used to mainly go in line with the goal at the bottom of the east stand, near the away fans - and sometimes sit on the wall just below them (most memorably against Sunderland when we got a couple of goals in the last few minutes - we nipped off the wall and round the pitch!). The Blackpool game we were in the middle of the north-eacst, and the next year (12-13 year olds) we were regulars in the north stand. It amazes me that our parents let us go on our own, with all the stuff about hooliganism in the late 70s. I can't imagine, even in the sanitised stadia that parents let many kids go.

Bingo

Jul 27, 2014
Seaford
2-4 defeat at home to Norwich in October 79 - My dad took me and we stood in the North West corner of the ground.
Game best remembered for Andy Rollings Punching Justin Fashanu and getting sent off. Often remind Andy of this when I see him in the 1901!!

EastWarren

Jan 24, 2015
Brighton
My Albion story began on a cold evening game in 1973 against Port Vale. I was six, Cloughie was in his brief stint as Albion manager, and we had West Stand tickets courtesy of a couple of reserve and loan players lodging with us down the road from the ground (anyone remember Chester FC legend Grenville Millington’s spell at the Goldstone?). The following season I joined my granddad on the East Terrace in the spot he had occupied, world wars permitting, since 1911, where I stayed for a decade until a spell in the North Stand. Am back in the East Stand now – a long way from 1973.

Knocker15

May 18, 2013
Gosport, Hants
1976 Albion v Shrewsbury I was 3 and my Dad and Mum took me having returned home just in time from our family holiday in Devon. Ended 3-0 to us and I fell asleep in the second half, some thing don't change!

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Saturday 24th November 1991 was the first Brighton home game I went too. We drew 0-0 with Millwall. I think Perry Digweed saved a penalty. I had seen us play in the play-off final earlier that year and I had also been to the Goldstone ground in 1989 to watch England B take on Italy B.

I was not allowed to go to football on my own as neither of my parents liked the game and it was only 2 years after Hillsbourough. I went to the game without my parents permission and I can remember my dad going mad when he found out later that day.

I have been going every week ever since.

The first ever game of football that I went to was at Smellhurst park 1n 1989. I went on a Bevendean Badgers trip. I saw Spurs beat Palarse 3-2.

mattp

Feb 1, 2013
20th December 1980 vs Aston Villa, at age 11. They were top, we were bottom. We won 1-0, with Michael Robinson getting the goal in the first half. Such a great team in those days - Foster, Lawrenson, Robinson, Horton, Stevens, Gregory - and Paul Clark in midfield! Admission was £1 for kids in the north stand! My family moved from the area soon afterwards so only saw a couple of games (2-1 friendly win over Fulham in 1981 and 2-1 against Spurs in 1983) before getting my first season ticket in the north stand in 1988!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Boxing Day, 1988, Palace, 3-1.
my mate and his dad were season ticket holders and invited me along, obviously a pretty impressive introduction to the albion.
Had a great time at the Goldstone late 80's and 90's after that

Remember that game well. Those days were my favourite following the Albion.

mattp

Feb 1, 2013
One thing I remember to this day about the Birmingham game - it was absolutely freezing! Kevin Bremner got a hat-trick, I seem to recall.

mattp

Feb 1, 2013
1988. Boxing Day I think.

Albion 4 Birmingham 0

Then few days later...

Albion 3 Shrewsbury 1

One thing I remember to this day about the Birmingham game - it was absolutely freezing! Kevin Bremner got a hat-trick, I seem to recall.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My father took me to the England u21 game in '77 when I had just turned 9. I thought it was the most amazing thing ever; I'd never seen or heard a big crowd before, the pitch was bright green under the lights, cigarette smoke seemed to bellow out of the stands and it just felt so exciting. I asked to go to a Brighton game and was taken to Brighton versus Bolton on Oct 8th 1977 a few weeks later. I've never looked back and almost 40 years later we still have seats together.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
1962 ish ,my father was a season ticket holder,and i stood behind the North Stand goal........It was (and still is ) just so exciting !!!!!

Smiley Miley

Jan 16, 2015
Felpham
21st August 1976 versus Oxford at the Goldstone.
My father had finished playing for Knowles in about Division 8 of the Worthing league the season before, I had been mascot for about 6 years.
Something to do on a Saturday afternoon we would go over the Albion and although he packed up going when work called, 38 years later still going strong.

SM

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
When I was at junior school (Goldstone) we collected bubble gum cards and one of my first was of Roy Jennings. I must have been about 9 at the time and that started me on my journey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here