Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] You should be targetting top 4 this season, minimum.

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012
Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool have been garbage this season. Newcastle good, but they're fading now.

As a neutral, without a doubt, the 4 best teams in England this year have been Arsenal, City, United and Brighton. It's time for you guys to start believing. In 4-5 years you will look back and think, we had those 5 players in the same team at the same time? Player for player, you are as good as any of the aforementioned and are trained better.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We’ve had all the coverage, but why not Fulham or Brentford? Both equally capable, and Fulham have got more points currently even if played more. It’s incredibly tight, all to play for as they say! FA cup win is THE one for me to go for. Let’s not get too greedy and start talking about CL when Europa qualification is still an incredibly tough challenge and beyond our wildest dreams. Well, it is for someone who went to Kent for 2 years. Pinch yourself stuff, what a time to be alive!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Great idea

Can someone email Paul Barber to let him know?

Seriously though, we have an outside chance and after a few more games we will know more.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Just like in a relegation race where you don’t want to have to rely on other results to get out of the bottom 3, us finishing 4th is in our own hands. It’s not something you’d expect to be saying pretty much ever as a Brighton fan but let’s dare to dream just a little bit.

Although if you offered me 4th or 8th and the winning the FA Cup today I’d take the FA Cup win all day long.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
FiveThirtyEight currently give us a 27% chance of a top 4 finish...

Ignore the order the teams are shown in - they have all of us, Newcastle and Liverpool finishing on 64 points, but the table doesn't seem to sort by Goal Difference which actually has Newcastle on +23, us on +22 and Liverpool on +21.

All of which means, we'd finish 6th, one goal behind Newcastle in fifth and one point behind Spurs in fourth.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think you're not giving enough credit to Brentford and Fulham (although they were dire when we played them).

Still think our best chance of qualifying for Europe is through the FA Cup
We’re better than both those teams, but unfortunately better doesn’t always equal points, as the game v Fulham proved. Over 38 games though, think we will finish above both of them.

If we have anything like the finish of last season think we will be top 6 at least.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think you're not giving enough credit to Brentford and Fulham (although they were dire when we played them).

Still think our best chance of qualifying for Europe is through the FA Cup
In terms of probability, our best chance of Europe is top 6 or 7. We’re currently 11-2 to win the FAC but only 5-4 for top 6 (and evens with most bookies).

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We’re better than both those teams, but unfortunately better doesn’t always equal points, as the game v Fulham proved. Over 38 games though, think we will finish above both of them.

If we have anything like the finish of last season think we will be top 6 at least.
Fulham away one of the only games this season where the opposition were better than us. So I wouldn't write them off so easily.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
“Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool have been garbage this season. Newcastle good, but they're fading now.”

So if the good team is starting to fade what’s to stop the garbage becoming good ….and three out of those four are above us…Liverpool running into some sort of PL form …Spurs a Jekyll and Hyde side …Newcastle stop their slump.

If we progress further in the FA Cup more matches to rearrange ….nah if we achieve 6/7th place it will be brilliant

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I suppose it will depend on whether a dopey VAR official draws a line in the wrong place again.

We would now be 1 point behind Newcastle with a game in hand and five points behind Tottenham in fourth with three games in hand.

That decision could well cost us at least Europe and maybe even Champions League

But hey ho, it wasn't his fault really - these things happen 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I suppose it will depend on whether a dopey VAR official draws a line in the wrong place again.

We would now be 1 point behind Newcastle with a game in hand and five points behind Tottenham in fourth with three games in hand.

That decision could well cost us at least Europe and maybe even Champions League

But hey ho, it wasn't his fault really - these things happen 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
VAR made a horrendous error granted yet we were still in front until Sanchez gifted them.
We are never going to win every game regardless of how well he might play. Blaming one result won’t tell the whole story come the end of the season.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool have been garbage this season. Newcastle good, but they're fading now.

As a neutral, without a doubt, the 4 best teams in England this year have been Arsenal, City, United and Brighton. It's time for you guys to start believing. In 4-5 years you will look back and think, we had those 5 players in the same team at the same time? Player for player, you are as good as any of the aforementioned and are trained better.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Honestly think the games in hand will be our downfall - crazy we had so much free time in recent weeks and it looks like we could be playing 2 games a week for 3 or 4 weeks to my untrained eye?? Someone more on the ball than me could outline that schedule a bit better no doubt.
We have a brilliant first choice 11 and a good 5 or 6 back up but at that point it starts to be a question of experience.

All said and done I think we have a great chance of top6 but the schedule might wear us down

Went to the match yesterday. Mind blowing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here