Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] You are the ref: Dale Stephens' challenge on Gaston Ramirez

What was the correct decision for the Dale Stephens' challenge?

• Total voters

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I voted Yellow - I don't think it was a bad foul but considering the previous handbags going on between the two of them I would have given the yellow and then given the baddie from Beauty and the Beast also a yellow for smacking the card out my hand...
You've got far too much common sense, and as a result will never make it as ref :lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not a foul in the SLIGHTEST. Not even a "CHALLENGE".

He got to a loose ball first. Ramirez kicked the underneath of his boot.

If Ramirez was wearing shin pads CORRECTLY.....ie, TO PROTECT HIS SHIN, then this would never have happened.

I'll always acknowledge when we've fouled, dived, cheated, been dicks. But in this case Stephens did nothing wrong and the ref has been swayed by an injury which is pathetic.

Yes, but Dermot Gallagher actually stated that the red card was correct because of the seriousness of the injury. I too would like to know which rule states that if there is a serious injury someone must be sent off.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I voted Yellow - I don't think it was a bad foul but considering the previous handbags going on between the two of them I would have given the yellow and then given the baddie from Beauty and the Beast also a yellow for smacking the card out my hand...

He played the ball, then the man played him, not a foul. It really is that simple. I'm sorry Ramierez got hurt but he should timed his challenge better or worn some bloody shinpads that covered more than an ankle. Stephens not responsible for either of those things.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
He played the ball, then the man played him, not a foul. It really is that simple. I'm sorry Ramierez got hurt but he should timed his challenge better or worn some bloody shinpads that covered more than an ankle. Stephens not responsible for either of those things.

I agree that it probably wasn't even a foul but it was escalating towards that anyway with the shoving and the handbags and to calm them down I would have given the yellow.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Just watched Ref Watch on Sky sports. Dermot ???? the ex Premier Ref said it was the seriousness of the injury that warranted the change from Yellow to Red. Correct decision he says. No chance we will win the appeal, methinks.

But he also said it was such a serious injury he would need surgery etc so why was Ramirez running on the pitch at the end ? Albion need to put footage of that into the appeal and also the fact he wore kids shin pads

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
He didn't leave his boot in. Where was he supposed to put it? - Ramirez came in from the side and hit Stephens' boot. Never a foul - but Dermot Gallagher on ref watch didn't even consider that, just the state of the injury.

I think he did. He followed through in a downwards motion when he could've kept his foot lifted. I'm sure he didn't mean to cause the damage that he did, but I do think he meant to leave something on Ramirez. I used to do it when I played, if you're in a battle with someone you win the ball and leave something on the player as well, you're not trying to hurt them but you need to assert yourself.

I also think Stephens was very unlucky that Ramirez's follow through effectively increased the force of the collision. Had he not cut him it would've been a yellow. It's all very unfortunate, but I think the ref had no choice.

I realise the majority don't agree and I understand why.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Yes, but Dermot Gallagher actually stated that the red card was correct because of the seriousness of the injury. I too would like to know which rule states that if there is a serious injury someone must be sent off.
Ramirez didn't leave in an ambulance and isn't in hospital now, so that comment doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ramirez didn't leave in an ambulance and isn't in hospital now, so that comment doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Yes, I agree with you, but according to Gallagher, the wound was so terrible it might need plastic surgery. His words, not mine.

Perhaps he should have been a physio, not a ref..................

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Yes, I agree with you, but according to Gallagher, the wound was so terrible it might need plastic surgery. His words, not mine.

Perhaps he should have been a physio, not a ref..................
:lolol: So refs are qualified plastic surgeons now ? Blimey, how long do they have to train for ?

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Two yellows for Ramirez, one for not having the correct protective equipment and another for petulantly knocking the card from refs hand.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Referees are a joke. There's no point listening to them because they will never criticise one of their own.

The seriousness of the injury was greatly exaggerated (as seen by Ramirez's reaction on the pitch, as he was more interested in getting Stephens sent off than his injury) and it was his challenge that was late. It's truly incomprehensible to me that anyone could see it as a sending off. Stephens got the ball well before Ramirez came in, it wasn't reckless and, if Ramirez had proper shin pads on, there would have been no issue.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
But he also said it was such a serious injury he would need surgery etc so why was Ramirez running on the pitch at the end ? Albion need to put footage of that into the appeal and also the fact he wore kids shin pads

that cut would be sorted out with 7 or 8 stitches......hopefully the club doctor will pry the already healed edges of the wound apart , clean it with bleach and then sow it to his forehead .....without anaesthetic....!!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Referees are a joke. There's no point listening to them because they will never criticise one of their own.

The seriousness of the injury was greatly exaggerated (as seen by Ramirez's reaction on the pitch, as he was more interested in getting Stephens sent off than his injury) and it was his challenge that was late. It's truly incomprehensible to me that anyone could see it as a sending off. Stephens got the ball well before Ramirez came in, it wasn't reckless and, if Ramirez had proper shin pads on, there would have been no issue.

It is obvious Dean has reacted to the injury .....which is plain wrong...!! end of...!!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yellow, at most for Dale...

GR is a tw@t of the highest order and should be retrospectively suspended for knocking the YELLOW card out of the ref's hand...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yellow, at most for Dale...

GR is a tw@t of the highest order and should be retrospectively suspended for knocking the YELLOW card out of the ref's hand...

And why isn't more made of this? Amongst all the reporting of the incident, there is no mention of this in the media except the Argus (or that Dean had a yellow card in his hand). If he asked for the linesman's assistance, why get a card out?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
If Stephens was a different kind of player who seeks oppositions cards, he could have thrown himself into the air when Ramirez kicked his boots. Dean would have then walked up to give a yellow to Ramirez, then put the card away when he saw the injury. Fortunately for us, Stephens isn't that kind of player concentrating on forcing an attack instead. It's a shame Dean isn't as intelligent.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
yes but also he is repeatedly seen on the idiot box saying .....look at his leg , look at his leg , look at his leg......this whole scenario is just ****in wrong...!

Completely agree. As I said above, if you're going to check with your assistant, you don't get a card out of your pocket in advance. You wait for them to respond. Mike Dean is lying to Hughton and others and no doubt his assistant will back him up.

The most depressing thing is he is supposed to be one of the best referees in the country. If it was a young referee in his first league game, you could almost understand the over reaction. But this is one of the most experienced referees and he changed his mind based on an injury. It's ludicrous

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here