Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] You are the ref: Dale Stephens' challenge on Gaston Ramirez

What was the correct decision for the Dale Stephens' challenge?

• Total voters

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
image.png

Studs. But dangerous? Not so sure.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Studs are up and they have caused considerable damage to the opponent.

I'm sure Sephens didn't mean to hurt Ramirez, but it is obviously reckless.

I think it is a red.

Genuine question here, how do you suggest a player goes for a ball that is at thigh or hip height? Surely it is not possible to to this without lifting your foot. Are players only allowed to go for balls that are on the ground?

I think most coaches would ask Dale to do exactly with what he did in this situation.

What would you tell him to do next time?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Anyone else notice him going off on a stretcher with gas, yet came out running to get his runners up medal. That just shows what a wanker he is.

Yep and needed the gas AFTER he spent a few minutes telling the ref what a nasty tackle it was(n't).

Genuine question here, how do you suggest a player goes for a ball that is at thigh or hip height? Surely it is not possible to to this without lifting your foot. Are players only allowed to go for balls that are on the ground?

I think most coaches would ask Dale to do exactly with what he did in this situation.

What would you tell him to do next time?

It's a good question. Ramirez though appears to be trying to control the ball with his knee and thigh in the above pic.

I'll be fascinated to see how the appeal fairs. It's obvious there was zero intent but merely studs up seems to be good enough to convict? I wouldn't instictively be against that, regardless of what it may have cost us today we should be looking to reduce even accidental injuries

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I agree - that altercation must have been in the ref's mind as the timing was so close.

Yep it must have been, the ref must have assumed that intent was there because of this (can't see any other was he would have thought it was intentional).

In a high stakes high pressure game like this i would suggest the ref needs to be certain of said intent, which he clearly wasn't as he changed his mind when the player showed him the injury.

He made his decision based on what was already in him mind and what happened to his leg rather than the challenge itself. Poor refereeing.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's a good question. Ramirez though appears to be trying to control the ball with his knee and thigh in the above pic.

I'll be fascinated to see how the appeal fairs. It's obvious there was zero intent but merely studs up seems to be good enough to convict? I wouldn't instictively be against that, regardless of what it may have cost us today we should be looking to reduce even accidental injuries

I agree we should be looking to reduce accidental injuries. It must be pointed out that the easiest and most logical way to have avoided this injury would have been to have more substantial shin pads.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Anyway it is what it is we can't change it and the FA will do FA about an appeal.

So we need to move on and focus on the playoffs which we are surely favorites for. Especially after the second half performance yesterday (and the last 10 of the first). We are still a very good team and have a wonderful chance in the play offs.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
But it was only a yellow at first, this was either changed by the 4th official who was nowhere near the incident, or Dean saw the gash and then ddecided it was a red in which case that is not allowed.

Not rip on the sock either.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Well the independent pundits on Sky at the game and on Channel 5 highlights programme are all agreeing no red.

Can't see the FA agreeing though.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ha, I'm not bothered about people ganging up on me as long as it's civil.

It's a game of opinions, and I think although certainly he didn't intend to hurt anyone, his actions are reckless.

Happy to bet £25 that the appeal is unsuccessful, with the loser giving the money to REMF.

It will be unsuccessful. But it wasn't a foul.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
cannot see why an appeal wouldnt be sucessful. but needs to be quick thats the problem.

DavePage

But he's won the ball with his studs up. And you can't do that any more.

Zero chance the appeal is successful.[/QUOTE]
Then how do you score from an overhead kick?

Equally, and i’m only going by memory having only seen it live, scroll back 15-20 seconds, on maybe even less
it was immediately prior to the incident . Did Rameriz not have his foot higher than Stephens in the attempt to get the ball (not involving Stephens).
Therefore maLord stating a president that was acceptable?
His foot was high as were his studs, which is exactly the same as in question except

a) Stephens won the ball
b) Rameriz on either occasion had no chance or real attempt to contact with the ball.
c) where does self inflicted come into this
d) Where does Dean’s cowardice or the governing board above him stop?:
If in a court of law,
why wasn’t Rameriz wearing shin guards?
Why didn’t the wound bleed?
Why was he allowed to knock the yellow card from the referees hand?
Can they
prove it wasn’t and old injury?
I suggest Ma’Lord had it been the other way, a replay behind closed doors would be in order.

I would state that the first goal was off side due to it being part of the same scoring move
But that is nothing compared to the cowardice that resigned a team to 39 minutes with one man short.
So with 170 million at stake the league turn a blind eye

We wouldn’t replay with a team already promoted,
We couldn’t act upon a opposition staff member stopping the opposition for continuing normal play with less than two min left to play.
They condone supporters on the field of play during actual playing time?

So now they have a dilemma if they rescind are they liable?

Last edited:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I believe Gaston was trying to get Dean's attention and trying to tap his hand. He hit Dean's hand just as Dean got the yellow card out. I don't think it was intentional that Gaston knocked the yellow card out of Dean's hand.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The ref initially took out a yellow and I think he should have stuck with that, not only to calm everything down but also to keep the game even.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here