Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] You are the ref - bet you don't get them all right.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
1. C
2. A
3. C
4. B
5. B.
6. B.
7. C.
8. C.
9. B.
10. A
11. C
12. C
13. B
14. C.
15. B

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Keep them coming in, I'll mark up a final score tomorrow by lunchtime.

Edit: 50 entries now, average of 8.16. Highest of 13, lowest of 0.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Questions with options below, please answer all 15 e.g.:

1: A
2: B
3: C

And so on. Best of luck. No googling!

1. With the ball in play in the centre circle, the home team goalkeeper who is stood in their own penalty area strikes their opponent using excessive force. What is your decision?

A -
Stop play, send off the goalkeeper and restart with an indirect free kick to the team who have been offended against from where the offence took place.
B - Stop play, send off the goalkeeper and restart with a dropped ball where play was when you stopped the game.
C - Stop play, send off the goalkeeper and award a penalty kick.

You haven't said which team is Man U?

Jul 7, 2003
1) C
2) A
3) C
4) B
5) B
6) B
7) A
8) A
9) A
10) A
11) A
12) C
13) B
14) C
15) A

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Well here we go then, over 50 entries and no one managed to get 100%, so instead, I'll make a donation to https://www.gosh.org/.

Now for the answers which are highlighted in red.

Final scores to follow in another post.

1. With the ball in play in the centre circle, the home team goalkeeper who is stood in their own penalty area strikes their opponent using excessive force. What is your decision?

A -
Stop play, send off the goalkeeper and restart with an indirect free kick to the team who have been offended against from where the offence took place.
B - Stop play, send off the goalkeeper and restart with a dropped ball where play was when you stopped the game.
C - Stop play, send off the goalkeeper and award a penalty kick.

2. At the taking of a penalty kick, the dedicated kicker runs up and kicks the ball forwards. The ball only travels around 1 metre. At this point a fellow attacking player runs towards the ball and kicks it into the net. The fellow attacking player was outside the penalty area at the point of the penalty kick being taken and no encroachment has taken place. What is your decision?

A - Award a goal.
B - Disallow the goal, caution the original penalty taker and restart with a penalty kick.
C - Disallow the goal, caution the original penalty taker and restart with an indirect free kick to the opposition.

3. An attacking player scores a goal but is flagged offside and the goal is disallowed. In their immediate celebration the goal scorer removed their shirt over their head but then very quickly puts their shirt back on when they realise that their goal has been disallowed. What action do you take as the Referee if any?

A -
No offence has been committed - no action would be taken, and the game is restarted with an indirect free kick to the opposition.
B - The goal scorer would be given a verbal warning by the Referee asking him to not repeat those actions and the game is restarted with an indirect free kick to the opposition.
C - The goal scorer is cautioned and shown a yellow card and the game is restarted with an indirect freekick to the opposition.

4. A defender taking a free kick from outside their own penalty area mistakenly turns around and kicks the ball into their own net. What is your decision and how is the game restarted?

A -
The goal is not allowed, and the game is restarted with the direct free kick to be taken again.
B - Goal.
C - The goal is not allowed, and play is restarted with a corner kick to the opposition. - One day this is going to happen in a game and I'll love it.

5. During play as the red team attack, the ball hits you and changes possession, starting a promising attack for the blue team. Do you?

A -
Stop play and restart with a drop ball with both a red and blue team player 1m from the ball.
B - Stop play and restart with a drop ball to the red team at the point where the ball was last touched by a red team player. - A recent law change.
C - Allow play to continue.

6. A defender deliberately handles the ball on the goal line in an attempt to stop the ball going in the goal. The attempt is unsuccessful and a goal is scored. Do you?

A -
Disallow the goal, award a penalty kick and send off the defender.
B - Award the goal.
C - Award the goal and caution the defender for unsporting behaviour.

7. If a substitution is made during the half-time interval and you as the referee are not informed, what action should be taken?

A -
Stop the game, caution the replacement substitute and restart with a drop ball where play was when the game was stopped.
B - Stop the game, caution the replacement substitute and restart the entire half from scratch.
C - The named substitute may continue to play, no disciplinary action is required and the matter is then reported to the authorities post-match.

8. During kicks from the penalty mark to determine the winner of the game the home team involved has a player sent off. This dismissal now results in the home team having fewer than 7 players. What is the correct decision?

A -
Abandon the game as you cannot continue with a team who has less than 7 players as per the laws of the game.
B - Request that the away team now reduced their penalty takers to correlate the same number to that of the home team and continue the game.
C -
Do nothing and just allow the game to continue with unequal number during kicks from the penalty mark to determine the winner of the game.

This was the one that the fewest of you got correct, with only 12% of you getting it right. In the laws it says (when talking about a PK shoot-out) 'The referee must not abandon the match if a team is reduced to fewer than seven players'.

9. At a stoppage in play, the away team indicate that they wish to make a substitution. The player who is to be substituted reacts negatively and refuses to leave the field of play. What do you now do as the Referee?

A - No action is taken by the Referee and play continues.
- This happened in the League Cup final a few years ago.
B - Caution the player for refusing to leave the field of play and insist that he now leaves before play can continue.
C - Temporarily suspend the game, allow the away team to resolve the issues before then restarting the game.

10. At the taking of a free kick the defensive wall contains 2 defending players. Just before the kick is taken an attacker moves close to the wall and is less than a metre away at the point of which the free kick is taken, which subsequently ends up in the back of the net and a goal has been scored. What is your decision?

A -
Disallow the goal and restart with an indirect free kick to the opposition.
B - Award a goal. - Another new law change, the wall must have 3 players in it for an opposition player to be more than a metre away.

11. You award a penalty to the away team which causes an injury to away team 7. Away team 7 receives treatment and then wants to stay on the field and take the penalty kick despite the arguments of home team players. What action do you take?

A -
Insist that he leaves the field in accordance with the laws of the game.
B - Allow the away team 7 to stay on but because he has received treatment, he cannot take the penalty.
C - Allow the away team 7 to stay on the field and take the penalty.

12. At a dropped ball a player from the attacking team takes 3 touches then kicks the ball over the goalkeepers head and the ball enters the goal. What action does the referee now take?

A
- Caution the attacking player and restart the game with another dropped ball.
B - Award a goal-kick. - Again, would be chaos. The ball has to touch two players for the goal to stand.
C - Award a goal.

13. A player who is taking the kick-off, kicks the ball before the referee has given the signal. What is the correct decision?

A -
The game continues a no offence has been committed.
B - The kick-off is retaken by the same team.
C -
The kick-off is retaken by the same team and the player is cautioned.

14. A player enters the field of play without the required permission and then commits a reckless tackle. What is the correct decision?

A -
The player is cautioned for entering the field of play without permission. Play is restarted with an indirect free kick.
B - The player is cautioned for unsporting behaviour. Play is restarted with a direct free kick (or penalty kick).
C - The player is cautioned for each offence and is therefore sent-off. Play is restarted with a direct free kick (or penalty kick).

15. A free kick is taken quickly by a defending team player inside their own penalty area. An opponent who remained in the penalty area and did not have time to leave intercepts the ball once it is in play and scores a goal. What is the correct decision?

A -
The goal is disallowed and the free kick is retaken.
B - As the defending team opted to take the free kick quickly, the goal is awarded. - Another recent law change
C - The goal is disallowed and the free kick is retaken and the opponent is cautioned.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I got quite a lot wrong (though pleased I’m not the one with zero 😂). Really interesting, thanks OP! Although the rule that you can kick a free kick in your own goal and the goal is not allowed is bonkers!

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Final scores, (if i've mismarked or missed you out, please let me know!).

@lizard - 0 - I know you put D for everything but you still put answers for them all!
@Diablo - 4
@um bongo molongo - 4

@Blue&WhiteSea - 5
@newhaven seagull 85 - 5

@Nobby Cybergoat - 6
@simonl - 6
@Sheebo - 6
@Blatter - 6
@Harry Wilson's tackle - 6
@Barnet Seagull - 6
@The Brighton Bear - 6

@Bob! - 7
@Commander - 7
@Kojakker - 7
@helipilot - 7
@Dun Lurkin - 7
@thedonkeycentrehalf - 7
@dsr-burnley - 7

@KZNSeagull - 8
@Miami Seagull - 8
@golddene - 8
@PILTDOWN MAN - 8
@Withdean11 - 8
@WASH - 8
@papajaff - 8
@Billy the Fish - 8
@wolfie - 8
@Jeep - 8
@Mellor 3 Ward 4 - 8

@amexer - 9
@Guinness Boy - 9
@Machiavelli - 9
@Blues Guitarist - 9
@Hugo Rune - 9
@Psychobilly freakout - 9
@MJsGhost - 9
@Garry Nelson's Left Foot - 9
@jackanada - 9
@hoveboyslim - 9
@Tim Over Whelmed - 9

@Birdie Boy - 10
@Official Old Man - 10
@Cheshire Cat - 10
@drew - 10
@mejonaNO12 aka riskit - 10

@Tfitz12 - 11
@Jeremiah - 11
@Bodian - 11

And only 4 out out 54 passed - that's just over 7% ... Congratulations to:

@studio150 - 12

@jackalbion - 13
@McTavish - 13
@schmunk - 13

Last edited:

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

@lizard - 0 - I know you put D for everything but you still put answers for them all!
@Diablo - 4
@um bongo molongo - 4

@Blue&WhiteSea - 5
@newhaven seagull 85 - 5

@Nobby Cybergoat - 6
@simonl - 6
@Sheebo - 6
@Blatter - 6
@Barnet Seagull - 6
@The Brighton Bear - 6

@Bob! - 7
@Commander - 7
@Kojakker - 7
@helipilot - 7
@Dun Lurkin - 7
@thedonkeycentrehalf - 7
@dsr-burnley - 7

@KZNSeagull - 8
@Miami Seagull - 8
@golddene - 8
@PILTDOWN MAN - 8
@Withdean11 - 8
@WASH - 8
@papajaff - 8
@Billy the Fish - 8
@wolfie - 8
@Jeep - 8
@Mellor 3 Ward 4 - 8

@amexer - 9
@Guinness Boy - 9
@Machiavelli - 9
@Blues Guitarist - 9
@Hugo Rune - 9
@MJsGhost - 9
@jackanada - 9
@hoveboyslim - 9
@Tim Over Whelmed - 9

@Birdie Boy - 10
@Official Old Man - 10
@Cheshire Cat - 10
@drew - 10
@Tfitz12 - 11
@Jeremiah - 11
@Bodian - 11

@studio150 - 12

@jackalbion - 13
@McTavish - 13
@schmunk - 13

with a miserly 4 .. That must qualify me to ref a prem Game.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Just did the quiz without looking at the answers and my responses were CCCCBBCAAACCBBB giving me a score of 9.
Pleased with that although, bizarrely, when i checked the answers i had written down the wrong letter to one i knew the correct answer to so should have been 10!

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Despite falling to pass this test I shall continue to believe I'd still make a better job than our current refs for 99% of the types of decision that need to be made.

At least for the first minute or so after which I would be retching with my head between my knees and unable to see anything due to unaccustomed exercise.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

@Diablo - 4
@um bongo molongo - 4

@Blue&WhiteSea - 5
@newhaven seagull 85 - 5

@Nobby Cybergoat - 6
@simonl - 6
@Sheebo - 6
@Blatter - 6
@Barnet Seagull - 6
@The Brighton Bear - 6

@Bob! - 7
@Commander - 7
@Kojakker - 7
@helipilot - 7
@Dun Lurkin - 7
@thedonkeycentrehalf - 7
@dsr-burnley - 7

@KZNSeagull - 8
@Miami Seagull - 8
@golddene - 8
@PILTDOWN MAN - 8
@Withdean11 - 8
@WASH - 8
@papajaff - 8
@Billy the Fish - 8
@wolfie - 8
@Jeep - 8
@Mellor 3 Ward 4 - 8

@amexer - 9
@Guinness Boy - 9
@Machiavelli - 9
@Blues Guitarist - 9
@Hugo Rune - 9
@MJsGhost - 9
@jackanada - 9
@hoveboyslim - 9
@Tim Over Whelmed - 9

@Birdie Boy - 10
@Official Old Man - 10
@Cheshire Cat - 10
@drew - 10
@Tfitz12 - 11
@Jeremiah - 11
@Bodian - 11

@studio150 - 12

@jackalbion - 13
@McTavish - 13
@schmunk - 13
Thanks again for doing this. An education for most of NSC I would think.

The answers confirm what I thought, that most I got correct I knew for one reason or another, but my educated guesses were terrible. The one I thought I must have right and was wrong about was the seven players / penalty kicks one. I assume the game still gets abandoned if there's less than seven during open play?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
9's not too bad.

On one question I went with what I hoped the rule was rather than what I thought it was and on another I went with what I thought the rule was rather than what I hoped it was. Got them both wrong!

If only I had gone consistently one way or the other I'd be sitting on a very respectable 10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here