Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

You are Mcghee, what tactics would you play?

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
If I was Mcghee, I would have spent this week discussing with the PLAYERS what formation they feel most comfortable playing, what their ideas are for opening up the play and I would have then suggested we try the Coppell formation. 5-3-2 when defending, 3-5-2 in attack, perhaps even bringing back Mayo to play alongside Harding and keep that left side more secure. Also Mayo`s pretty good at moving up the field and getting the front players more of the ball and crossing it, I just think it worked so well for us with Coppell when we played the good teams away from home (Reading, Wolves, etc) it could be worth a try, at least for the 1st half. Not only that, Bristol play with 2 wingers and they`re pretty quick so we could get caught out big time if we don`t. :) :)
I just hope to god we don`t play like the last 2 games.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Stick with 4-4-2 but bring Hart on to the right of midfield for extra attacking options and move Reid into the middle with Chippy for extra creativity...

Roberts
Virgo Cullip Butters Harding
Hart Reid Carpenter Jones
Knight Iwelumo

Subs: Kuipers, McPhee, Piercy, Oatway, Mayo

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
same team as trigger, but maybe mayo for harding as rougier did seem to go past harding at ashton gate too easily for me, and is more experienced, however not match fit probably.

Dublin_Seagull

Jul 14, 2003
Dublin . Ireland
well if I was McGee I would drop Reid and put Hart in his place,
Put three up front to help out Knight and then put a large bottle of dirreorra tablets in Bristol City drinking water and pray :jester:
Also give a few bob to the ref

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Good point Jezzer and actually an interesting take on formation.

I'm confident in Brighton's ability to contain Bristol on the day, but surely you've got to plan for letting one in and getting two yourself. Banking on keeping a clean sheet I think is a little risky.

Unfortunately our attacking form has left us, or at least the spark we had earlier isn't there, and keeping things relatively the same I think is like saying lets hope we can take it 1-0 and get the goal from somwhere. So it looks like the answer comes from taking a little risk in the form of support from midfield or perhaps a key individual from defence and yes perhaps it's looking there at the likes of Mayo or in midfield having Hart support from the outset, maybe as an extra man in midfield. I think we'll be putting our faith in luck if we approach it the same as the last few games.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I can't see him changing it but if he did:
Code:
                     Roberts

Virgo    Cullip    Butters
  Reid                                 Mayo
        Carpenter     Oatway     Jones

Iwelumo   Knight

Last edited:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I'd try the long ball approach...just for a change.

:jester:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
saafend_seagull said:
same team as trigger, but maybe mayo for harding as rougier did seem to go past harding at ashton gate too easily for me, and is more experienced, however not match fit probably.

And you think he won't get past Mayo as easily?

:lolol: :lolol:

ciderred

Nov 13, 2003
If i was mcghee my team talk before the game would be: , look boys i like bristol city , they finnished third and deserve to go up so go out there make it look like were shite and let them score a couple.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
dont change the formation! if he does and it all goes pearshaped u'll be on here slatting him for changing it

roberts

virgo cullip butters harding

hart carpenter oatway jones

knight iwelumo

subs kuipers hinshelwood piercy reid mcphee

I have to agree with Saltash.
I'm a big fan of 3 5 2 using a genuine sweeper system; but it's a bit late in the day for changing a winning formula.
If you go with three at the back and they play 4 4 2 you have to cut off the wings when they have it or otherwise they outnumber you 2 - 1 in the wide areas; you have to force them to play down the middle where you are 'strong' (3 in the centre mid). Which is all well and good if you've had a chance to practise it.
I'd stick with 4 4 2 in the circumstance but with the option of switching to a zonal 3 at the back and 5 in midfield (2 centrally holding, one foraging with the strikers) if you need to do a bit of chasing.

Oh and I'd swap Reid for Oatway in Saltash's line up.
But hey ho, what do I know? I'm just a fan with a badge !
:lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Against my sentiments and beliefs I would play Oatway from the off.

It depends where the game goes but gives options of Hart and Piercy

Last week I was all for changing things, but let's be honest, it's too late for that now. OGH for Reid is the only debate, I think OGH deserves it for what he did against Swindon but I don't mind either way. It's way too late for Piercy now.

Keep it tight until half-time. Then keep it tighter until full-time. Then bring on a few defenders in extra time to tighten things up a bit. THEN LET'S RUN THEM RAGGED IN THE PENALTY SHOOT-OUT :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

As the great man said, the Football League can't send us a fax on Monday morning telling us we're too crap to go up :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

WE'RE GOING UP!!! THE EXTREMELY HARD WAY!!!!!!!!!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
London Irish said:
Last week I was all for changing things, but let's be honest, it's too late for that now. OGH for Reid is the only debate, I think OGH deserves it for what he did against Swindon but I don't mind either way. It's way too late for Piercy now.

Spot on for me.

Theres two ways to go really, keep playing like we have been, keeping it tight, let them have a lot of posession and relying on keepign a clean sheet, scoring just the one or it going to pens. I guess that is favourite - its not pretty but its worked really well over the last couple of months.

The alternative is assuming that Bristol will assume we will play like that, and changing to the 3 up front option that blew Plymouth away. In that case Piercey probably comes in for Jones, and Reid plays with Hart on the bench. It might sound nice, but it could also leave us 3 down at half time.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I reckon he will keep exactly the same team.

Hart will make a difference but not if he plays the whole game. He has lost his pace but being brought on as a sub will turn the game (if needed) The timing is crucial though.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Swindon aside, we've hardly conceded a goal for weeks. It would be crazy to change it. Harty deserves to start and would make us a bit more attacking but otherwise why do anything different?

Piercy looked good when he came on the other night too, so don't waste time using him if need be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here