Yorkshire Puddings

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Anyone got any tips to make some well wickerd ones like this

976_3.jpg

Its national SAUSAGE week and I intend to take full advantage of that fact. What better wat than with a well wickerd yorkshizzle to go with me bangers!!

None of that rubbish that Aunt Bessie makes

hmmmm sausages...

TM1634_Braised-Chicken-Sausages_lg.jpg

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Peasy.

• Self-raising flour - about.............oooh..................................that much
• Three eggs
• Pinch of salt
• Can John Smiths or Boddingtons (f*** it, it's not as though you're going to DRINK that stuff)

Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, with the pinch of salt and break the three eggs into it (four if you want it RICH).

With a balloon whisk, mix them together and pour in (fairly slowly) the beer, until you have a consistency slightlty runnier than custard.

Meanwhile, set your oven to the highest setting - take the Yorkshire pudding tray and grease heavily with butter or oil. Heat said tray for about 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, take the tray out and pour in the yorkie batter (it should hiss back at you) to fill each cup.

Slam in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. Do NOT open the oven until you're ready to take them out.

Job done.

When he gets here, XIV Eye will give you a recipe with all sort of added extras.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Equal quantities of flour, eggs, and milk, pinch of salt.
Whisk, leave, re whisk upon pouring into tray which is well hot.
They should start 'cooking' as you're pouring.

Into oven for 20 mins max.

Job done

NEVER OPEN OVEN TO SEE HOW THEY ARE DOING.

Cromwell Road Gull

Jul 2, 2008
Let the batter rest in the fridge for at least an hour, colder the better, and make sure the oil is roasting hot.

Then pour quickly and never open the door to check on them.

Finally make sure oven not hot when cooking as they brown too quickly on the outside but stay raw in the middle.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Make the batter well in advance, and leave it in the fridge. The greater the contrast in temperature between the oil and the batter the better they rise.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I echo the comments about putting it in the fridge for a while. Use a Gordon Ramsay recipe myself & always add a bit of mustard into the mixture

Planning on doing toad in the hole for sunday lunch this week :thumbsup:

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Controversial I know, but IMHO the extra amount of work and skill needed to produce your own Yorkshire pudding compared to Aunt Bessies etc is hugely disproportionate to the increase in quality.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Equal quantities of flour, eggs, and milk, pinch of salt.
Whisk, leave, re whisk upon pouring into tray which is well hot.
They should start 'cooking' as you're pouring.

Into oven for 20 mins max.

Job done

NEVER OPEN OVEN TO SEE HOW THEY ARE DOING.

Yep

Also leave the batter to rest over night in the fridge for some reason.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The ones in Mendoza's picture are all the wrong SHAPE.
Yorkshires should be in the form of a little bowl, so you can have a pool of thick GRAVY in it, with which to use as a DIP.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Controversial I know, but IMHO the extra amount of work and skill needed to produce your own Yorkshire pudding compared to Aunt Bessies etc is hugely disproportionate to the increase in quality.

you cant hear it but the rest of your roast dinner is crying when you put aunt bessies on your plate.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
you cant hear it but the rest of your roast dinner is crying when you put aunt bessies on your plate.

Who said anything about aunt bessies ? Yorkies are easy enough to make from scratch, I just INSIST they are of a bowl shape (but I wouldn't go as far as a northerner and have my whole dinner sitting in one giant yorkie, mind).

My roast dinner cries when I put a bit of ketchup on my roast tatties. It whines like a little BITCH when I do that, but I don't care. I like it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The simplest recipe (mine one) is pretty much guarantees dippy bowls, Easy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyway if they are surrounded by Aunt Bessies, roast veg, roast potatoes, and boil in the bag meat, I'd imagine the yorkies would feel quite at home.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It's Easy.

9oz Plain Flour
4 eggs
1/4 pint milk
1/4 pint of water
Salt
Pepper

Mix altogether and whisk for ages, or as long as you can be bothered. No need to put in fridge, no need to leave to rise. Just make sure when you pour the batter into the yorkshire pudding tin to roast it the fat is literally on the verge of catching fire. Then stick it in the oven for 15-20 mins on 230 C. Cant fail.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Oooooh and to make an extra fancy Toad in the Hole wrap the sausages in parma ham first

hornet

Mar 9, 2005
Horsham
when pouring the batter in, keep the fat sizzling hot by putting it on top of lit hob rings so that you can see it sizzling and smoking.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
when pouring the batter in, keep the fat sizzling hot by putting it on top of lit hob rings so that you can see it sizzling and smoking.

Is the right answer. So hot it is just about to set your kitchen on fire (I have done this).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports