Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yet another laptop thread - this time down the budget end of the market.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You had a homework diary? A paper one? Bloody luxury. You spoilt brat. What's wrong with slates?

Maybe slate/paper and the odd board rubber aimed at you, wouldn.t produce the spoilt cherubs we have today ;)

You had a slate? Bloody public school toff. What's wrong with scrawling into your arm with a compass?
What a bunch of swats, just don't write anything and go into hiding for the week after parents evening.

Never did me any harm - said the postman who is acutely aware that one day he'll be replaced by a shaved monkey.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Is that right, re Chromebooks & printers?

I can't just connect one to the other with a USB cable.

If you have another computer you should be able to set the printer up via that with Google Cloud Print, or you can fork out £40 for a new printer that supports Google Cloud Print. But no, you can't just stick in a USB printer and go with Chromebooks unfortunately.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you have another computer you should be able to set the printer up via that with Google Cloud Print, or you can fork out £40 for a new printer that supports Google Cloud Print. But no, you can't just stick in a USB printer and go with Chromebooks unfortunately.

Blimey for a minute then I thought you weren't going to write a single word I understood, I'm glad you got there in the end.

Thanks for that.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Blimey for a minute then I thought you weren't going to write a single word I understood, I'm glad you got there in the end.

Thanks for that.

Sorry, should be clearer! Google Cloud Print is a technology that lets you connect your printer to the internet. It's not on every printer that has Wi-Fi, you have to look out for the symbol on the box and Google has a list of those with official support. You hook the printer up to a Google account and then you can print from anywhere in the world really, long as you've got an internet connection. Chromebooks are set up to use Google Cloud Print, and it's the only way you can really print from them.

While you can buy a new printer that supports the technology, you can also configure a normal printer so that it will work with it by connecting it to another computer that's not a Chromebook (and that has internet connection). It's a bit like sharing your printer between multiple computers on the same network. Getting stuff set up with Google Cloud Print this way is a bit fiddly though from what I understand.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
daughter 18 and wifey have gone for this- http://shop.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/100-series/100s-11-inch/

so lightweight,almost similar in size to an apple i pad..i myself have a Toshiba (ex daughters)

obviously it's windows 10 but we are microsoft types when it comes to pc's the above computers we got for £129 and they are ideal for most applications but have no dvd/cd..

For comparison, Acer's Aspire Switch 10E comes with twice as much storage in the detachable screen that you can use as a Windows tablet, along with an additional 500GB hard drive in the keyboard dock for expandability.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/lenovo-ideapad-100s-1303533/review

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry, should be clearer! Google Cloud Print is a technology that lets you connect your printer to the internet. It's not on every printer that has Wi-Fi, you have to look out for the symbol on the box and Google has a list of those with official support. You hook the printer up to a Google account and then you can print from anywhere in the world really, long as you've got an internet connection. Chromebooks are set up to use Google Cloud Print, and it's the only way you can really print from them.

While you can buy a new printer that supports the technology, you can also configure a normal printer so that it will work with it by connecting it to another computer that's not a Chromebook (and that has internet connection). It's a bit like sharing your printer between multiple computers on the same network. Getting stuff set up with Google Cloud Print this way is a bit fiddly though from what I understand.

Just before I felt school the science block burned down (the 2 are unconnected).

Throughout my schooling TIC consisted of 2 of these:-

PRODPIC-2817.jpg

surrounded by all the pupils so socially inept even I was able to look down on them, just.

Through that final term and then summer an ITC suite was built, where the science block once stood, looking something like this:-

blocks_image_4_1.png

Now I realise this correctly makes me look bad on all things personal development.
But I hope it goes someway to explain why the only words I understood were "Sorry, should be clearer" :lolol:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
For comparison, Acer's Aspire Switch 10E comes with twice as much storage in the detachable screen that you can use as a Windows tablet, along with an additional 500GB hard drive in the keyboard dock for expandability.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/lenovo-ideapad-100s-1303533/review

That's a nice device and we have had Acer's before,but the girls have apple tablets and we wanted a laptop to be a laptop,that said it's horses for courses and each to their own.although it's good how the memory is double..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok so I'm just about to crack open my wallet, any more advise before I buy later tonight?

It seems £150 gets me most of what's mention here, assuming I steer clear of G-Anica :shrug:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ok so I'm just about to crack open my wallet, any more advise before I buy later tonight?

It seems £150 gets me most of what's mention here, assuming I steer clear of G-Anica :shrug:

If you buy a refurbished laptop you can also bet on the battery being knackered from overuse. Replacements cost £35 or so. Junior might very will notice this.

The only real reason to buy refurbished laptops is for the Microsoft Office software which is often included in the price.

For internet browsing the Chromebook is better.

Lenovo IdeaPad still looks good (although I've never actually tried one: tried a Chromebook).

I picked the Acer before: http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/aspireswitch10e

Eye-catching trendsetter

The Aspire Switch 10 E comes in a range of trendy colors that all work perfectly with its dynamic shape and elegant textile-pattern texturing to create one great-looking device. Choose the color that suits you, and watch your friends turn green with envy.

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

So watcha got?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So watcha got?

Unless someone comes up with something different it'll be a Lenovo IdeaPad, £139.

The outfit I've bought my last couple of towers from have a Refurbished Dell Latitude E5420 Laptop Dual Core 1.9Ghz 4GB 160GB Win 7 Pro for £10 cheaper, but I think I'll stick with 'box fresh'.

I know I keep saying this but by jimminy I really don't have a clue what's going on or what anything means.
(That's not an invitation for people to explain stuff, because I still won't understand)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jnr received his Lenovo thingy yesterday (birthdays don't get much better than that for a 12 year old Albion nut).

Anyhoo at present giving time I realised I hadn't bought any t'internet security for it.

What can I download (preferably free) to use as a sticking plaster, while I sort out all singing and dancing protection.

Oh and clearly to save time, what all singing and dancing protection is good?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Dear daughter wants a new laptop for uni as her current one's battery no longer lasts more than a minute and it takes nearly 5 mins to boot.
All she wants if for it mainly word.
The prices you been quoting on here are way cheaper than ive been seeing.
am i aiming to height a spec for her?
been looking for i3 processor &min 8gig ram and prices are around £300 ish.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have bought inexpensive laptops and a PC from Big Pockets in the past. They do new and refurbished PCs and Laptops.

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here