Yeovil moved to Fri, live on sky

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
People make plans. When will they realise this?

yes, I know it adds a few coffers to the account but us mere mortals have to make plans around the season even as STHs. I will probably now have to miss our final home game because of this. Cheers!:cheers:

Yep - have booked tickets for a concert that night already. Are we supposed to block book Friday night, all day Saturday and Sunday, plus Monday nights too for EVERY Match during the season 'just in case' the club decide 4 weeks out to change the time and date? Football clubs really exploit the season ticket culture that all seaters and fear of not being able to be with families and friends has caused. Mighty peed off with the club over this one especially.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
I can make this game either way so not affected but I still think the timing is pretty sh*tty and would much have preferred a Saturday kick off. Bit if an odd game for sky to show but that said their facilities here are fantastic especially the box (see below) and if you are booking a hotel for the game I wouldn't hang about as I'm sure a few of the Sky Bods will use this last minute match change as a fantastic excuse for a long weekend by the sea.......although I'm sure that had absolutely nothing to do with this what so ever. Did it? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395993531.281681.jpg

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Last night I asked insider if the club had any say in the matter, here's the reply:

Like all member clubs of the Football League we are committed to the TV broadcast contracts that are in place. Of course there are sometimes reasons why matches cannot take place, but these would be either on safety or operational grounds - but without a legitimate reason it would be very difficult for us to say no to a televised game. Our ticket terms and conditions do stipulate that fixtures are liable to change.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I hope they club are not stupid enough to organise the lap of honour. It was embarrassing enough last year when 60% of fans decided a beer was more important than showing their appreciation to the team that achieved the highest position in a generation. This season there will be 59 fans left in the stands.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Last night I asked insider if the club had any say in the matter, here's the reply:

Like all member clubs of the Football League we are committed to the TV broadcast contracts that are in place. Of course there are sometimes reasons why matches cannot take place, but these would be either on safety or operational grounds - but without a legitimate reason it would be very difficult for us to say no to a televised game. Our ticket terms and conditions do stipulate that fixtures are liable to change.

Nice try but utterly predictable. Football-the commercial model that defies logic. And they know it!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Of course...the day after I book my friday night flight to UK for that weekend, and the match on saturday...

Last edited:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I hope they club are not stupid enough to organise the lap of honour. It was embarrassing enough last year when 60% of fans decided a beer was more important than showing their appreciation to the team that achieved the highest position in a generation. This season there will be 59 fans left in the stands.

If its anything like the Ipswich game it will be between 5 and 9 fans left

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
How tedious,.... last match at home, travel down on the Friday night after work from the west country, nice sunny day on the Saturday or Sunday, beers in town before and after,.... meal out with our little group of WSU ST holders,...... now?..... struggling to get trains home in time,..... less income in the bars, restaurants and shop......... poor decision.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Well thats £300 down the drain. Match and train tickets all paid for. 4 of us travelling down from Yorkshire for the day, not anymore. I think that's the end of all trips to the Amex as cannot afford risking these losses again.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I have not got advanced train tickets and will not need compensating. I have only paid for a match ticket from the club on a date I knew I could attend. When I purchased the tickets the day of the match was advertised as Saturday, now it is the day before......will I be compensated from the club who are benefiting from the Sky payment? Or will I just have to lose my money because the product I have purchased has been changed?
Not really bothered whose call it is who changed the date of the game but I have purchase a product from the club which they cannot now supply, who may say tough sh*t but to mee its hard earned cash!

I'm pretty sure if you've bought a ticket for this match specifically (not a season ticket) you are well within your rights to a full refund.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep - have booked tickets for a concert that night already. Are we supposed to block book Friday night, all day Saturday and Sunday, plus Monday nights too for EVERY Match during the season 'just in case' the club decide 4 weeks out to change the time and date? Football clubs really exploit the season ticket culture that all seaters and fear of not being able to be with families and friends has caused. Mighty peed off with the club over this one especially.

Its NOT the clubs decision !

As part of the current TV deal, Sky pay every Championship club £2.3m a season to buy the rights to televise games (plus whatever they pay out for each individual game). Thats the TV deal the clubs sign up to in advance, and that gives Sky the pick of whatever games they want to select for broadscast.

So Sky ring up and say "we're televising your home game vs Yeovil, so its switched to the Friday night". Having taken their £2.3m as part of our slice of the agreed TV deal, how can Barber then turn round and say "Err...naah you're alright. Pick someone else will ya ?".

Sky pay the money, so we have to dance to their tune. I'm pissed off its on a Friday as well, but theres no point blaming the club - its NOT their call.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I'm pretty sure if you've bought a ticket for this match specifically (not a season ticket) you are well within your rights to a full refund.

I hope you are right. I can make the Friday night and will go but my previous posts were trying to highlight the problem people have organising trips down for a specific match. Seems to cut little sympathy from posters on here who think every supporter who buys tickets,travel tickets, hotel rooms, can shrug their shoulders and either TRY to change their arrangements or afford to lose, in some cases hundreds of pounds (GOM...post 193)
And all for what.......a wider audience for a crappy end of season game in a half full Stadium (worse case scenario) Sorry but a lot of fans will feel really peed of with this decision and will not bother again!

*even though its Sky's fault!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Its NOT the clubs decision !

As part of the current TV deal, Sky pay every Championship club £2.3m a season to buy the rights to televise games (plus whatever they pay out for each individual game). Thats the TV deal the clubs sign up to in advance, and that gives Sky the pick of whatever games they want to select for broadscast.

So Sky ring up and say "we're televising your home game vs Yeovil, so its switched to the Friday night". Having taken their £2.3m as part of our slice of the agreed TV deal, how can Barber then turn round and say "Err...naah you're alright. Pick someone else will ya ?".

Sky pay the money, so we have to dance to their tune. I'm pissed off its on a Friday as well, but theres no point blaming the club - its NOT their call.

I recall reading somewhere that a club could decline to have their game televised once per season. I may have imagined that however.....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I hope you are right. I can make the Friday night and will go but my previous posts were trying to highlight the problem people have organising trips down for a specific match. Seems to cut little sympathy from posters on here who think every supporter who buys tickets,travel tickets, hotel rooms, can shrug their shoulders and either TRY to change their arrangements or afford to lose, in some cases hundreds of pounds (GOM...post 193)
And all for what.......a wider audience for a crappy end of season game in a half full Stadium (worse case scenario) Sorry but a lot of fans will feel really peed of with this decision and will not bother again!

And I have total sympathy for those who have spent out on tickets, trains, hotels and who now can't make it. That sucks. But don't blame BHAFC - blame Sky.

The reason there's only about a months notice is because Sky are trying to televise games that'll have something riding on them, ideally at BOTH ends of the table. As others have said, there's every chance this game will be a complete dead rubber for both clubs by the time it comes round, but I guess this is the kind of punt Sky always have to take, so they're bound to leave it as late as possible (within what they would consider is reasonable) before making their broadcast decisions.

As always, fans are a long way down the list of considerations when these decisions are made. But like I say, thats Sky's doing, not the clubs.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I recall reading somewhere that a club could decline to have their game televised once per season. I may have imagined that however.....

Sussex Police could object against it and potentially the club could liaise with the police to do this, but other than that all clubs are beholden to the spoon that feeds.......

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Ffs my son is mascot for this game as a surprise for his 10th birthday.

But he's got a theatre production in Portsmouth with the school until 10:30 on the Friday night!

This post seems to have gone unnoticed but it makes me sad. I hope you can contact the club and make a fuss about this. A ten year old boy should not miss out on a once in a lifetime experience just because of Sky.

Hopefully you can switch it to the game before maybe?

It does seem complete nonsense to switch the last home game of the season to a Friday night for all the reasons others have said, but also I think there is a fairly standard expectation that this is kind of game that wouldn't be moved, and therefore people booking hotels early etc would have every expectation that this game wouldn't move. I certainly can't recall this happening before. Sad day.

In other news it now means I can go to a wedding on the Satuday afternoon, which keeps other people happy, but me very bored!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports