Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Yellow card consistency

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Absolutely but that shouldn’t have included red carding MacAllister at the weekend- I suspect there will be more obvious errors like that this season with some Refs apparently interpreting the new rules as a message to ‘get tough’ and VAR being even more reticent in overturning what in this case was a clear and obvious error.

Tbh honest i might be on my own here but I thought Mac Allister was a red. There wasn’t much force but he was studs up on the guys leg, I definitely don’t think it was an obvious error.

It’s really on the players to change. It really gets me that we go over every minor thing the refs do/don’t do but fail to expect the players to have any kind of standard. We hate time wasting but are ok when our players do it, likewise diving (though some fans call that out more than others). I wish the players would get it together and stop.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I agree with your point about player safety being the priority.
I also agree that stamping out the Villa timewasting is a welcome development.
I thought Maddeley was good, and am not sure which/how many incidents you're referring to. The Dawson aggressive clatter through Enciso was the only one I really remembered. We were in front of that, and to me it looked like an orange.
Mitoma in the first minute. Definite yellow.
Enciso manhandled throughout.
Gilmour roughed up off the ball.
Wolves blocked a number of quick free-kicks as well which went unpunished. I thought he was poor.

No such thing as an orange as we stand, and until the time wasting consistency beds down, nor should there be.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Absolutely but that shouldn’t have included red carding MacAllister at the weekend- I suspect there will be more obvious errors like that this season with some Refs apparently interpreting the new rules as a message to ‘get tough’ and VAR being even more reticent in overturning what in this case was a clear and obvious error.

Re timewasting specifically- The only difference is the infringements will be more plentiful - it‘s a shift in balance I think between deliberate timewasting in the latter parts of the match by teams in the lead ( often incidentally the same teams who sit in a deep block to settle for one point in other matches) or the ref himself breaking up the flow of the game more as a result in the increase of yellow cards.

Tbh - I am happy to see a shift to the latter we are good enough to beat most teams fairly without cheating by wasting time with fake fouls etc (or likewise resorting to a low block when we’ve scored one goal). Mitoma proved at the weekend that running through defenders rather than playing for the foul ( or worse signing for a card as he did once before) is far more conducive to winning a match and scoring goals.

Imo - The new rules will benefit us - it will make it easier to beat teams like head trauma Fulham etc
Agree with all of the above.

MacAllister is a difficult one, as in real time it was clearly a yellow at most, but slowed down his studs were showing which is probably what VAR looked at.

I don’t know if they’ve appealed but it wouldn’t surprise me if it is rejected.
Some of this is because match officials understanding of football is different to a players, and until ex-players man VAR with an official the MacAllister style incident won’t get overturned (IMO).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

MacAllister is a difficult one, as in real time it was clearly a yellow at most, but slowed down his studs were showing which is probably what VAR looked at.

Some of this is because match officials understanding of football is different to a players, and until ex-players man VAR with an official the MacAllister style incident won’t get overturned (IMO).
Well it’s been contested, the outcome will be interesting. As an Albion player, no chance but as a Liverpool one……

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Yep, refs aren’t looking for every angle they can to cheat everybody in sight like the players are. Ex player pundits (with a small number of honourable exceptions) have the least knowledge of football on display in the game and mainly base their views on who their mates are. Much like fans really.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yep, refs aren’t looking for every angle they can to cheat everybody in sight like the players are. Ex player pundits (with a small number of honourable exceptions) have the least knowledge of football on display in the game and mainly base their views on who their mates are. Much like fans really.
Salisbury?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here