Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] XtraPc

On the MoneySavingExpert site somebody (not the guy I trust) has posted this about two of BG's machines. We need to ascertain the spec of the C500, so could someone show BG how to interrogate that machine for the info (presuming it's still running) as ICR and don't have access to a Windows machine tonight. Looks like the guy will also need to know the type of memory in all three machines, hopefully to avoid having to buy new RAM.

"Several different processors re offered for the Compaq Presario C500. Lower end versions feature an Intel Celeron M processor with a clock speed of 1.86 GHz. Higher end versions were available with Intel Pentium Dual Core processors with clock speeds starting at 1.60 GHz. Dual Core processors feature 1 megabyte of Level 2 cache and a front-side bus speed of 533 MHz. Base versions of the C500 came with 512 MB of DDR2 RAM. Systems could support up to 1 GB of RAM. For storage, the C500 came standard with 80 GB Seagate hard drives."
I would put on x32 software of windows or linux. I would not spend anything on it.

The acer is far better
http://www.laptop-spec.com/acer/acer-aspire/acer-aspire-5532-specs/
definitely would put an ssd on this. if the memory was compatible, and depending what is currently installed, would take the memory from the top one. This can take slow memory like the stuff used in c500, or faster memory. if you mix it will at best work at the level of the slower one, and i am unsure of the performance different between DDR2 PC2-5300 and DDR2 PC2-6400 vs size

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have now just posted the details on MSE as requested as it took me some time to find them out. DVD has arrived but I have put off trying it pending further advice on that site.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As advised on MSE I have ordered an SSD and will put it into either the Acer or Compaq and just install Linux into the other and see how it goes. Will probably install Linux into the SSD also.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here