Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Xbox one - question(s)

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Sooooo... we’re thinking of buying our son his first console and there’s no way in hell I’m buying new...

So, is an Xbox one, with 500gb good value at £65 - possibly available through a work marketplace... oh and can it run FIFA 22 ?

Thank you.

Baring in mind the last console I owned was a mega drive, well I’m not exactly sure on value and/or the best secondhand option ...

Last edited:

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Not great if it's the old Xbox one (originally released in 2013). Could go for the new series S although then you'd have to get games digitally..

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My 12-y-o has an Xbox One S (note: not the newer Series S) and it still seems to do him just fine. He's never said there's a game that's not available that he'd like to play, and he plays it a LOT (frankly far too much).

If it's a first console for your son, it suggests he's probably younger than that and won't have great demands.

I'm sure the time will come when we'll upgrade our son's to a Series S/X, but that time doesn't seem to be now.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Not great if it's the old Xbox one (originally released in 2013). Could go for the new series S although then you'd have to get games digitally..
Thanks - we think it might well be a newer one, but we’ll find out on Mon and go from there :)

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
If you can, I really recommend the Series S. Really great console for the price (though all games will be digital).

Though if your son is very young, and his first console, the one you quoted should be perfectly fine for a couple of years if it’s working as it should.
Can get dirt cheap games for it too.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
My 12-y-o has an Xbox One S (note: not the newer Series S) and it still seems to do him just fine. He's never said there's a game that's not available that he'd like to play, and he plays it a LOT (frankly far too much).

If it's a first console for your son, it suggests he's probably younger than that and won't have great demands.

I'm sure the time will come when we'll upgrade our son's to a Series S/X, but that time doesn't seem to be now.
Cheers - my thoughts exactly, his demands won’t be quite up there with the gamer types... tbh it’s more about testing whether this is a good idea or not, in terms of it (not) dominating his life and the usual array of controller chucking tantrums etc.

By keeping it relatively affordable, it won’t be too hard to ‘put it in the cupboard’ if he gets as addicted as I did to Desert Strike and SWOS back in the day - ahem.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
If you can, I really recommend the Series S. Really great console for the price (though all games will be digital).

Though if your son is very young, and his first console, the one you quoted should be perfectly fine for a couple of years if it’s working as it should.
Can get dirt cheap games for it too.
Thank you - appreciate that :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd assume the original xbox one can play all xbox one games? £65 sounds like a bargain.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Wait till he discovers Fortnite and worse “V bucks”
Yep - that’s what worries us... tbh, even from a young age I was more interested in guitar and piano than the first generation of super consoles, SNES & Megadrive... obviously the games weren’t as immersive, but I knew some kids who were welded to them nonetheless, hopefully by rationing the console in the lounge rather than his bedroom, we’ll avoid total addiction for a while :/

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How old is he kosh?

Volts

Nov 25, 2022
It's a great console to play on. But there can be reliability issues. I used to break down a lot. Besides, I prefer to play on a PC. Most often I play World of Warcraft. I go on raids with the guys from this site. There are some good games for consoles too. But that's another story

Last edited:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Sooooo... we’re thinking of buying our son his first console and there’s no way in hell I’m buying new...

So, is an Xbox one, with 500gb good value at £65 - possibly available through a work marketplace... oh and can it run FIFA 22 ?

Thank you.

Baring in mind the last console I owned was a mega drive, well I’m not exactly sure on value and/or the best secondhand option ...

I still havent upgraded my xbox one yet but its still great and has loads of life left in it. It will definitely run Fifa 22, and Fifa 23. If he wants to play his mates online you'll need to get him an xbox live gold subscription, which is about £40 to £50 for 12 months. You might also want to consider the game pass which is £7.99 and will give him access to a massive catalogue of games that he can download and play.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
If he wants to play his mates online you'll need to get him an xbox live gold subscription, which is about £40 to £50 for 12 months.

£25 a year if you look in the right places. Have done it for this price last 3 years running just buy a foreign xbox live sub and use a VPN to register the code. Half the price of a UK license (y)

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I would recommend going for the later XBox One S. The original XBox One would still be able to play the same games but I'd worry about reliability issues, especially with the spinning hard disk inside.

If you were in Canada I'd happily sell you my old XBox One S for that price. I upgraded to a Series X and the old console is just sitting in a box.

I also have a Mega Drive and SNES which probably get played more :lolol:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Thank you.

Buy an Xbox Series S. It's cheap compared to the high-end machines and will last him at least the next 5 years. It's a ridiculous bargain. Unfortunately, you've just missed the Black Friday deal that had it at under £200. If he can wait until January (probs not) then you might get a similar deal.

If you buy an Xbox One now, he'll be asking for a new one next year so he can play online with his mates who have the newer generation of consoles.

I've just upgraded to the Series X and it is amazing. The main reason was my Xbox One was starting to get left behind. New games not being cross-generational and often being lesser versions if they are (FIFA).

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
£25 a year if you look in the right places. Have done it for this price last 3 years running just buy a foreign xbox live sub and use a VPN to register the code. Half the price of a UK license (y)
If you spring for Game Pass Ultimate, Live Gold is included and the games library is insane. I haven't bought a non-game pass game in well over 2 years and played a wider variety of games than I ever would have in that time period.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here