XBOX Live

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
I've had a 360 for a while now, and contemplating whether to go live or not.

Is it really worth it? (i need one of those wireless adapter things too.)

Cheers.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would definitely say so, but is there not some way of getting an ethernet cable so you can re-route your router to your Xbox?

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
you dont necessarily need to fork out £40 or how much it is. if you have wireless broadband in your home you can connect the xbox to a near by desktop pc or laptop even and it should run through that. only bad thing is you will have to have your computer on whenever you want to go on live which can be a pain.

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
I would definitely say so, but is there not some way of getting an ethernet cable so you can re-route your router to your Xbox?

Well bedroom is loft conversion so could be abit of trouble there. Most of the people use the wireless adapters and it just seems easier in my case.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
get the adapter,think amazon was the lowest price

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
Cheers, seems a pretty unanimous decision, really. Hopefully can get it up and running soon and get a little bit of fifa banter going.

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
make sure your wireless modem is compatible with the xbox wireless adapter - I know I had to spend ages getting mine to sync up as the xbox wireless adapter uses "old" wireless technology

I assume the new adapter will work with the latest wireless technology and rules

Oh and I have all three - xbox360, PS3 and wii and they are all good at different things - here in the US, you can stream netflix to your xbox360 for free which is pretty cool

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
make sure your wireless modem is compatible with the xbox wireless adapter - I know I had to spend ages getting mine to sync up as the xbox wireless adapter uses "old" wireless technology

I assume the new adapter will work with the latest wireless technology and rules

Oh and I have all three - xbox360, PS3 and wii and they are all good at different things - here in the US, you can stream netflix to your xbox360 for free which is pretty cool

I thought you had to pay for the movies you watch on Netflix?

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I thought you had to pay for the movies you watch on Netflix?

If you are a us based xbox live member (i had to create a new id as my UK Xbox live acc wouldnt work) and you have an existing netflix account then you can stream movies for free from your xbox via a dedicated "channel" on the main xbox 360 screen.

So technically you are paying for your netflix subscription (which gives you all the standard netflix stuff including streaming to PC and DVDs in the post) and you have to pay for xbox live (which you would do anyway to access all the online stuff) so you get the streaming for free

its a pretty good picture as well and more stuff is being streamed in 1080i HD.

You would need a US based CC to pay for the xbox live acc and netflix though so unless you have a friend in the US then I dont think you can get it in the UK yet...

FYI - i moved from the Uk and brought my xbox360 with me - I only have 1 month till my UK Xbox live acc expires so I will use my us one until i move back (whenever that may be)

Hope that helps - let me know if you have any other Qs

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm not a hardcore gamer. I tried playing online once, but got my ass handed to me, by someone from japan who probably has 100mb download speed.

I'm on a wrieless adaptor, because of the distance to the router.

Evn though I don't play online it is worth it for the game add on downloads etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports