Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] X or twatter

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Has anyone else who uses this Elon musk self publicising crap, noticed that every thread is hijacked by anyone who has a political view or worldwide chelsea fans whinging about their lot, by adding a # on their post of the current “ trending” tweets.

For example this one

this is just an example and not a political point, but this bot has assumed that to get everyone looking at its post, it needs to add #strictly to its post to show up on that thread.

there are so many of these on every thread now, it is becoming impossible to read the bloody thing

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve had an account for a long time, but didn’t use it for many years. Got back into for the summer 23 transfer window.

I block circa 10 ads/links per day, takes a minute and job’s a goodun …. I just see the twattters I follow … Alex Crook, Telegraph football, travel, gardening, MSE.

Musk has dramatically increased the ad links. If it gets worse, I’ll abandon Twitter.

I never get politics! Have you ever clicked on the links, agreed with tweets, so are the algorithms forever?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not new, annoying and something the great Musk said he'd deal with (bots). they did get silenced for a while, then presumably adjusted.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I’ve had an account for a long time, but didn’t use it for many years. Got back into for the summer 23 transfer window.

I block circa 10 ads/links per day, takes a minute and job’s a goodun …. I just see the twattters I follow … Alex Crook, Telegraph football, travel, gardening, MSE.

Musk has dramatically increased the ad links. If it gets worse, I’ll abandon Twitter.

I never get politics! Have you ever clicked on the links, agreed with tweets, so are the algorithms forever?
No never click the links! It just appears now That if you are not into politics, you are automatically by association, taking the opposite view to whoever posts a political point. A bit like here at times.

but yes, twitter is becoming impossible to follow

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In this case I’m happy for any publicity to stop innocent people getting murdered! First world problems to moan about it imo.

Also my opinion is never call it X ever and don’t be a sheep to Musk. Twitter forever 🤣

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In this case I’m happy for any publicity to stop innocent people getting murdered! First world problems to moan about it imo.

Also my opinion is never call it X ever and don’t be a sheep to Musk. Twitter forever 🤣

I take a different view. I’m fully aware of the bad and sad events in the world, including current genocides virtually no one in the UK has any interest in …. the Uyghurs. You won’t see bots or pop ups on X about that. I refuse to be steered by causes selected by manipulative others. So I leave the research/reading to myself. Quietly helping a stack of good causes.

I use Twitter purely for my interests and ‘happy’ stuff.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Isn't twatter a study in how to ruin your own product? Befuddles me what Musk is/was trying to achieve with it...Anyhow - I've stopped posting on it, but I still do read it as much of the breaking news is quicker on there than anywhere else. I've stopped posting responses though, partly due to the nonsense bots and #tags as mentioned which send my feed in rather strange directions, but also due to the fact that no one can debate anymore and its a vile and disgraceful place. Twitter (and indeed most social media) allows people to sit behind a computer and absolve themselves from common decency and respect, and most things descend into personal insult and youre wrong / I'm right (like Israel / Palestine) and complete lack of ability to acknowledge anyone else is allowed to have an opinion. Its vitriolic, rascist, mysoginistic and probably any other indecent human behaviour you can find, and we wonder why these behaviours are still aparent in 2023, its becuase we permit it with places like Twitter. Makes you realise how good NSC is really, we get the odd version of this but in the main, the banter, debate and chat on here was always mostly respectful and tolerant.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No, I haven't. But I follow specific people and never (or very rarely) look at the replies to thos tweets. I don't make a habit of looking at the 'or you' or 'explore' options. So I don't get that. I get a feed full of movie news, trailers, sports updates.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Another one. This Chelsea twat has added de zerbi to a thread about Drogba….why?

IMG_1782.png

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am getting obsessed now

And this one!!!!
IMG_1783.png

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I haven’t had an account on there for a while. Although I don’t miss it hugely, since Musk’s takeover I’ve noticed that I can’t click on tweets to watch embedded videos when they’re posted on here. I just get a “something’s gone wrong.” message.

In the past you didn’t have to have an account to view tweets. Now, it seems, you do.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Twitter (nobody calls it X despite Space Karen’s best efforts) has become worse in recent times, to be expected really given the new owner sacked half the staff. If it wasn’t for cricket Twitter still being fun then I’d be tempted to ditch it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No different than the football gambling tweeters that appear on every football post.
Almost makes it unreadable, and despite blocking, new ones appear all the time.

I'm looking at twitter less and less now, maybe that's what Musk wants.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
And yet bizarrely usage is at an all time high? Supposedly.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I use it for Crypto news, but I've ended up blocking so many idiot shillers I'm down to barely anyone on my feed! A few Albion accounts I follow, and the rest is people falling off stuff and dogs being gorgeous. Oh, and some classic car accounts.

Would I say Twitter has got better since Elon the Musk took over? No, not particularly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here