Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] WTF American Express?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
On Christmas Eve Morning I get an email offering to treble my AMEX Card credit limit!

No evidence provided, I don't go anywhere near my current limit & pay off each month.

Presume this is AI at work? :down:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
spend-every-last-cent-bertram.gif

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
On Christmas Eve Morning I get an email offering to treble my AMEX Card credit limit!

No evidence provided, I don't go anywhere near my current limit & pay off each month.

This has been pretty common practice for years so there's nothing AI about it, just rules based on your behaviour.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Its speculative revenue generation based on financial modelling, no AI about it. Its BECAUSE you pay it off every month, combined with your credit rating that you'll get offered this.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not just Amex. I often get unsolicited credit limit increase offers on various cards.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Treble your limit? Don’t tell the relatives or they’ll be upgrading their Christmas lists.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Earlier in the year the bank I use reduced my free overdraft facility from £1k to £200 but increased my credit card (probably 15- 20% APR) limit from £2k to £5k.

Haven't used the overdraft for years and pay the card off every month (couple of hundred quid max) so it doesn't effect me .... But I still think they're ****s.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We put virtually all our spending through a couple of cards (BA Amex and a Hilton Barclaycard) due to the points/avios/companion vouchers we can collect (both fully cleared by direct debit every month). Limits haven’t changed in yonks but as others have said simply down to you being seen as a safe bet based on history and credit score - they’re hoping you see the increased limit as an opportunity to buy more sh*t you don’t really need :smile:

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Earlier in the year the bank I use reduced my free overdraft facility from £1k to £200 but increased my credit card (probably 15- 20% APR) limit from £2k to £5k.

Haven't used the overdraft for years and pay the card off every month (couple of hundred quid max) so it doesn't effect me .... But I still think they're ****s.

Yeah I never use(d) my overdraft and the bank got rid of it! Yet they keep increasing my credit and trying to force me to take out loans :tosser:

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021

In anticipation of the club shop actually having some stock?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I too pay off my Amex every month - it’s got a massive APR and is useful only for racking up Avios, discounts at the Amex stadium, and biffing things I want to buy into the following month’s paycheque.

No idea how American Express make all that much money charging interest, if most customers are like us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here