WSF. The Origins Of Casuals In Brighton.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Robbed by CHARLTON? I probably wouldn't own up to that...
:lolol: And anyway, the story is barely believable - if a Charlton fan really had been anywhere near a train, he'd have ignored the schoolkids he was about to rob and rummaged around for his clipboard to write the train number down as it went past.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Never listen to a man who ends his argument with the tired cliche of "don't let anyone tell you otherwise". An attempt to block you from listening to others opinions as he's so desperate for you to believe him knowing others will have stronger arguments.

And don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :jester:

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
do you remember the bon soir ?? and valmonellas wine bar ?

I remember Valmonellas we (obviously) used to call it Samonellas. We have had this before but who else remembers Savanahs under the Queens Hotel and Captain Submarines which was the only take away food before Uncle sams at 2am on a Friday or sat. The taste of Salami & cheese after 6-8 pints of Harveys or lager still haunts me.

And what about The Balaton (sp) club which was in a portacabin by the Palace pier. They only sold chips in a basket and every 5 mins there was a fight. I used to like the xtreems club up West street.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I remember Valmonellas we (obviously) used to call it Samonellas. We have had this before but who else remembers Savanahs under the Queens Hotel and Captain Submarines which was the only take away food before Uncle sams at 2am on a Friday or sat. The taste of Salami & cheese after 6-8 pints of Harveys or lager still haunts me.

And what about The Balaton (sp) club which was in a portacabin by the Palace pier. They only sold chips in a basket and every 5 mins there was a fight. I used to like the xtreems club up West street.

Loved that place...

And the original Uncle Sams at the bottom of Montpelier Road, that sold 1/4 and 1/2 pounder burgers, and is still there, going strong :thumbsup:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Valmonellas was on the site of the later 'Frock and Jacket' , don't think Uncle Sam's West Street was ever open that late at the weekend, 11pm tops.

But close by was Chatanoogas open till 2am, pizza and a runner.

Bonsoir Montpelior Road, with gaudy red and white striped canopy at the entrance.

As a cocky 20 year old we thought it was for the older crowd and full of Arabs !!

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia

Another 80's casual culture debate. Bitter or Lager? It was always Lager (Grolsch, Oranjeboom, Castlemaine XXXX, Tennents Extra, Fosters) with us boys. Never bitter, god forbid cider and only after 8 pints was it acceptable to switch to vodka or bacardi.

Funny as now I rarely drink anything other than Bitter or Cider.

What was the bevvy of choice for those of you who like me pissed their paychecks into Busby's Urinal from 81-85?

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
I seem to remember drinking warmish tins of Breaker or Colt 45 at the Alhambra/Inn place, and bottles of Pils at Annabels.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Another 80's casual culture debate. Bitter or Lager? It was always Lager (Grolsch, Oranjeboom, Castlemaine XXXX, Tennents Extra, Fosters) with us boys. Never bitter, god forbid cider and only after 8 pints was it acceptable to switch to vodka or bacardi.

What was the bevvy of choice for those of you who like me pissed their paychecks into Busby's Urinal from 81-85?

Don't remind me of Busbys - I met my ex there - but who remembers The Birds Nest with the phones on each table so you could ring each other??

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(

I was with a woman for those years, so it was usually about 8 pints of whatever in a pub/club with her pals, then back home for a Saturday Night Special!

I remember once being on the nest and not reaching a conclusion after about 45 minutes and her moaning about being sore, so I rolled over and gave up :ohmy:

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Has anyone mentioned Tom & Jerrys (Sherrys) I seem to remember loads of fights after footie in there and once (or twice someone going over the balcony

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What was the shop in Duke St with Red Cherries as it's emblem? Also, what was the club at the top of West St right opposite Duke St? Bentley's?

Shop with Red Cherries was Box 2, Ladies Wear and yep Bentleys was the basement club near the clock tower, slightly older crowd more prone to having the odd Brighton Gangster at the bar.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
[QUOTE
Bonsoir Montpelior Road, with gaudy red and white striped canopy at the entrance.

As a cocky 20 year old we thought it was for the older crowd and full of Arabs !![/QUOTE]

Never went in there - for those EXACT reasons!!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
blimey im having flashbacks.. bonsoir, savannahs, brighton belle...birds nest... saw a massive brawl in sherries one night that seemed to involve everybody in the place.. me and my mate didnt even notice until a pint pot smashed against the wall by us up on the balcony.... looked over the balcony and it was mayhem..all the bouncers were unconcious... saw one, slumped against a wall, and some bloke walked past...stopped..picked up a chair and clouted him very hard across the head.. some others going along the optics with chairs.... In fact most of West Street seemed to be at it that night, as coming out of Sherries, when the entrance was round the back... turned into the the side street into west street and that was a mass brawl, walked around the seafront and back up West St, it was going off outside TopWank..(first time I saw my brethren Marcus with another friend Shorty figting 8 or 9 people at once, and thinking ...thats a couple of black blokes i dont want to upset) and scuffles up and down the street, but dont think it was football related...
Met Judge Dredd in there one night..
somebody told me that Jeremy Beadle was one of the bar staff, and when I think about it, there was a bloke with a dodgy hand working behind the bar...Girls were rough though.. i told some girl there that I wasnt going to see her again, and she clouted me round the back of the head with pint pot when I walked away

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What was the name of the club underneath The Salisbury Hotel ( Brighton Hotel now ) on the front.

Went to an 18th there back in 82' and a group of lads got in through the fire doors ( rumour had it was the Dawes family and friends ) and utter mayhem, chairs bottles and anything around with many girls having head injuries in the chaos.

Ambulances and Cop cars and blood everywhere, happy days

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Our soundsystem played under Salisbury Hotel, but even at the time, we knew it as...that place under the Salisbury hotel haha
We played for a longtime at the bottom of Preston St, and I cant remember the name of that place for the life of me..

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
how could you do that ? ? she loved you she did

Its not you is it? :D

Used have some laughs in there... first time I heard a girl state publically as she walked into the place... Dont care what he looks like, i just want a good hard f***...

Couldnt believe my ears....I was only a couple of years out of the boys brigade haha

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Was the Apollo Hotel, then the West Beach I think

Nope the Apollo Hotel was ermmm the Apollo Hotel, the Salisbury Hotel is/was a stand alone Hotel, I think its now the Brighton Hotel.

I also new it as 'that club below the Salisbury Hotel' ..... !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports