Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WSF. The Origins Of Casuals In Brighton.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Does anyone remember the home game against Palace, must have been mid to late eighties, when we were drinking before the game in the cavern (I think) Beaky and Ricky B decided it was time to drink up and head up to the station. We knocked up every boozer on the way to the station and more and more lads piled out and joined us.
By the time we were in Queens Road we had numbered easily 500, some of the youngsters had seen a black guy walking down Queens Road and surrounded the poor geezer giving him a few slaps while they were at it. If it hadnt been for Ricky B ordering them to leave him alone i hate to think what might have happened to him.
We never did see Palace before the game :rant:

caesar

Oct 9, 2005
The department store was John Lewis, after we had run Posh through the store me and a mate Steve G were about the last ones coming back out as the OB were coming in, we were both wearing hooded jackets with scarves covering our faces, the OB stopped us and said (pointing around the now wrecked store) "did you do this?" of course we denied it and they just said "oh ok then" and let us go :laugh:
Pretty sure that was the same time at Peterborough when the OB let the dogs loose on us :tantrum:
Also that day strong rumours that Norwich had joined up with Peterborough, no idea if it was true but if it was they didnt make much difference :lolol:

At one stage after the game 2 large mobs of Brighton came within yards of attacking each other before they realised what was happening.
I have vivid memories of seeing a pot plant inside a microwave oven that had been smashed to the floor inside the John Lewis store. One lad calmy walked over to a shop assistant and asked her to open the till which she duly obliged. An interesting day all round!

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Does anyone remember the home game against Palace, must have been mid to late eighties, when we were drinking before the game in the cavern (I think) Beaky and Ricky B decided it was time to drink up and head up to the station. We knocked up every boozer on the way to the station and more and more lads piled out and joined us.
By the time we were in Queens Road we had numbered easily 500, some of the youngsters had seen a black guy walking down Queens Road and surrounded the poor geezer giving him a few slaps while they were at it. If it hadnt been for Ricky B ordering them to leave him alone i hate to think what might have happened to him.

500 of you and you give a few slaps to 1 black fella...........Can you explain that one?

1 night only

Apr 29, 2009
Cheers Washy, I can think of nothing I would rather do than document that
wonderful period. With the right images inside it would be a great story and
a fitting tribute to the spirit of this unique place. :thumbsup:

Cavern top work mate you have a good turn of phrase and the ability to bring the era to life, thank you

As you say would be a great story to tell and although it was not quite so common to take pictures of everything in those days and was frowned upon by any serious mob there must be a few images of those days around. Lorne who came a bit later certainly had a few from the late eighties right through the 90's up to a few years ago and the Leeds incidents!

I reckon a Brighton story would have to be a bit different from the usual books by various firms it would have to have the thread of the firm side running through it but maybe running off that it could include those involved perspective on the social side of things and the nightlife which has always been a bit more lively than the average town/city .

You certainly have a few sources just from this website by the looks of it!

thecavern

Jan 13, 2010
Cavern top work mate you have a good turn of phrase and the ability to bring the era to life, thank you

Hey 1 Night only, Do you think the Police would respond to an FOI Request
to turn all of their Spotters snaps over?

That would be a treasure trove!

Thanks for the support 1 Night,

Cheers Buddy,

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
Yes Sod 1 you are correct. The problem was that we went to college with several of them in Haywards Heath. The next few days were lively to say the least. It ended when a few of the WSF lads met us at Haywards Heath station and chased them across the tracks! Never heard much from them after that. I think you know who was involved.

:smokin:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave

Remember it well, we joined in from the William Tell when wandering down into town. Didn't see the guy getting a slap though.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Not strictly west st firm, but does anyone remember a big bloke from whitehawk, really tasty, used to be a skinhead but not around the time of wsh , steve j ? also another very tasty bloke from whitehawk, , used to be a hairdresser believe it or not, but very hard, geoff s ?

fritzthehun

Mar 25, 2009
Just checked in quickly to see the great memories others are sharing and I am
made up that so many people have positive recollections.

Also really grateful to anyone who has expressed encouragement.
At the beginning I thought I was going to be flamed to a crisp :)

A few people have asked if I was really a true Albion fan and I can confirm I am. A neighbour began taking me to the Goldstone aged about 9 and we used to stand on the East Terrace near the south stand end. He used to bring me a small wooden hop-up so I wouldn't miss anything.

Thanks again for all the feedback lads.

cheers,
without doubt you was surely around in the naughty eighties,do you have a story on the {if you walk down west street way}west street firms battle with west hams I. C. F in which a good friend{now sadly departed}of many, was smashed around the face with an iron bar,

fritzthehun

Mar 25, 2009
Not strictly west st firm, but does anyone remember a big bloke from whitehawk, really tasty, used to be a skinhead but not around the time of wsh , steve j ? also another very tasty bloke from whitehawk, , used to be a hairdresser believe it or not, but very hard, geoff s ?

not the chelsea artexer

thecavern

Jan 13, 2010
May 1983

I once thought, as we all do, I would be young forever. I was in my prime and when I looked around me, everyone else was too.

But the illusion of invincibility evaporated one afternoon in May 1983, a home game against Manchester City.

Near the Station the Queens Head was heaving with away fans. I was with maybe thirty boys en route to the game. A few scuffles then a huge brawl began. I heard breaking glass.

For a split second in my periphery a strange blur. It was a pint glass flying through the air. I ducked instinctively but to no avail.

I remember turning away after the impact and the crimson flow splashing all over the pavement. “f***” someone said. “f***ing Hell”.

I took sixteen stitches in the face, but notwithstanding the needlework, I was still back on parade the following weekend. I went up to Club Maximus in Leicester Square, a great night.

The resilience of Youth eh.

By this time the casual scene had evolved. Different looks were surfacing almost weekly. One pal Simon (Scouser) now wore a cord three-quarter length cord sports jacket and sometimes flared jeans. Others wore Valentino Jeans smedley knitwear and Russell and Bromley loafers. Aquascutum and Burberry rainwear was also back in, Armani. With strict dress codes at many nightclubs it had to be done.

Along with The Box and Night fever, a few boys were now using Bentley’s at the top of West Street. Non-members had to get past Graham the bouncer, then sign the guest book. This book was full of moody names like Dan Dare and Hans Anderson. It must have been the smallest club ever. I used to go in sometimes on a Thursday night with my buddy an original face from the West Street Firm.

He had a ring-bind folder full of his old charge sheets two inches thick. All Affrays. No theft, no driving, just fighting and all football related.

One Monday I picked up an Evening Argus and splashed all over the front page was a huge photo of him running down New Town Road with this massive Police Horse galloping right behind him. The OB’s truncheon was aimed at his back.

Later that night I saw his Dad having a drink in his local.

“I see your Boy in the paper” I smiled

“Yeah” he said, “What a f***ing Prat” .

In West Street everyone was looking for a clue. It arrived in the shape of unsigned plastic direct from the post.

Intercepted before delivery, these fresh credit cards were sold on and then worked around the town. In those days chip and pin didn’t exist. What happened was, when a card was presented say for a £300 purchase, the shop would use a numeric terminal for verification. If it came back with an Authorization Code the shop was guaranteed payment. If not the shop would get a ring-back and the card was retained.

It didn’t take long for several venues to get onside. These ‘tame’ shops would process several cards a week, often doing a tester say £120 depending on the floor limit then, if it was a live one, go in large a day later with say, a neves, (back-slang for seven hundred pounds) If this cleared it would be divvied up 50/50. Eventually all these friendly Jewelers and sole trader businesses would get a visit from Visa or Master-card and have their credit ceilings dropped.

One time, a Gold Card was hit (long before Platinum) and went through for a large amount. The trader suddenly decided he was going to keep the whole lot.

Finally he came across. But only after being warned by a local face he would have his head kicked in if he didn’t. Eventually, as all good things do, it came to an end.

As I have written in this last week I’ve loved reading the replies reminding me of things I’d forgotten. The Ballaton Club. Biba and Barry. Captain Submarines by the Town Hall. Even ‘Gog’ the clothing shop. Blasts from the past indeed.

To respect each individual’s privacy I haven’t included many names in these sketches.
But everyone in Brighton will know at least one person who was there, as the saying goes ‘Back in the Day’

I take one last look at my photographs before they go back into the loft. The Dorian Grays. Their unlined faces on that bus, in Fila tracksuits and Pringles smile back at me across the decades. Forever Casuals, forever West Street, forever young.

Peace be with you All.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I take one last look at my photographs before they go back into the loft. The Dorian Grays. Their unlined faces on that bus, in Fila tracksuits and Pringles smile back at me across the decades. Forever casuals, forever West Street and forever young.

Peace be with you All.

Pop the photos on here!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Moody....you used moody!!

My dad used to use the word moody for something that was rubbish but never heard anyone else use it or even hear of it.

That alone has made my day.

thecavern

Jan 13, 2010
Moody....you used moody!!

My dad used to use the word moody for something that was rubbish but never heard anyone else use it or even hear of it.

That alone has made my day.

Moody blues = A ruse/ a deception :lolol:

you have to love that London Slang.:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here