Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Wouldn't it be nice if you could just click on a thread and make it off-f***?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Sorry - out for most of the day - but back home now.

From a quick search, there is a paid-for modification available that can be bought that gives a lot more ignore options including individual threads.

Being honest, it's exactly the sort of thing I may look to add to those who wish to financially support the forum along with stuff like completely ad-free views.
I would be happy to pay for a site that allowed the user more options;
Thread ignore
No ads
Selective ignoring of mods. This wouldn’t affect site announcements or PMs but would just allow people to ignore the general shite and abusive posts they make.

Last edited:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Like this one maybe?

Seriously tho, NSC could really really do with an Ignore Thread feature. Zap all them 'x or y' threads that are a dreary waste of bandwidth. Ditto the Wordle thread. Ditto [insert your least favourite thread(s) here]. How about it @Bozza? Do you have the technology? Can we further fine-tune our NSC user experience so we don't even have to have any exposure to - In Our Humble Opinion - deeply s*** threads that are never going to get any more rewarding?
Would probably be easier for FIFA just to ban International Breaks.
Nearly as bad as VAR

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
You could just scroll on by threads that you‘re not interested in. Why create extra work for @Bozza ? I have no admin rights, I can’t impose anything on anyone on here.
I don't think you've read the messages from me and others about why 'just scrolling on' doesn't always work.

I don't think anyone wants to make loads of extra work for @Bozza - I certainly don't. All we have asked is that if such a facility or tool is available, could we have it.

Not sure what this has to do with wiping people's arses!

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Sorry - out for most of the day - but back home now.

From a quick search, there is a paid-for modification available that can be bought that gives a lot more ignore options including individual threads.

Being honest, it's exactly the sort of thing I may look to add to those who wish to financially support the forum along with stuff like completely ad-free views.
Do we have an approximate member cost?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
When you mentioned a nsc pay option a while back, it’s something I’d do. Being able to block entire threads ad infinitum would be amazing. Not so bothered about the ads, that calmed down.

I would be happy to pay for a site that allowed the user more options;
Thread ignore
No ads
Selective ignoring of mods. This wouldn’t affect site announcements or PMs but would just allow people to ignore the general shite and abusive posts they make.
Paying is fine, and I understand the appeal of long standing members, but might it put new members off from joining?

@Bozza, is there a second way? Noting that plenty are less than impressed with the rubbish threads, why not have new 'pre school', 'play school' or 'kindergarten' sub forum? You could give the transfer power to @Tom Hark Preston Park.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Paying is fine, and I understand the appeal of long standing members, but might it put new members off from joining?

@Bozza, is there a second way? Noting that plenty are less than impressed with the rubbish threads, why not have new 'pre school', 'play school' or 'kindergarten' sub forum? You could give the transfer power to @Tom Hark Preston Park.
Over the years a number of people have said they would like to contribute to the running of the site due to the value it gives them.

Others have said they would like to go ad-free. They understand and respect why ads are needed to support a site as busy as this, so know that turning on ad-blocker is not the answer to that.

So, I've toyed with it for a while but have probably felt a bit embarrassed at enabling it, even though Xenforo has it as a native option and in my regular research missions to other football forums, I see it has often been used. I suspect many of those happy to support the site would say they don't feel they need anything extra, but I still feel like I want to give something in return.

One of the problems I've wrestled with is how I return value to those who contribute, primarily because almost anything I can turn on for all users, I've already done so. There are very few bells and whistles left I could offer people as an added perk for their support.

However, some of these add-ons that developers have worked on, and subsequently sell, could be part of the solution. I'd not previously looked up individual thread ignoring before, so I didn't know about this plugin that does that.

I don't see why any of this would dissuade new users. No-one would lose access to anything at all, should a "site supporter" option be offered. Users, both old and new, would have everything they do today - I'd not take anything away - that wouldn't be the right thing to do.

Last edited:

Apr 9, 2020
Whatever, it’s easy enough now.
Fair enough, your opinion.

Struggling to understand the objections though. Once the plugin is installed, users can choose which threads to ignore with no effort required from the mods.
Those who don't want the :shit:threads in their peripheral vision never have to see them again.

And those who object to such a feature simply don't use it.

Win win, no?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Over the years a number of people have said they would like to contribute to the running of the site due to the value it gives them.

Others have said they would like to go ad-free. They understand and respect why ads are needed to support a site as busy as this, so know that turning on ad-blocker is not the answer to that.

So, I've toyed with it for a while but have probably felt a bit embarrassed at enabling it, even though Xenforo has it as a native option and in my regular research missions to other football forums, I see it has often been used. I suspect many of those happy to support the site would say they don't feel they need anything extra, but I still feel like I want to give something in return.

One of the problems I've wrestled with is how I return value to those who contribute, primarily because almost anything I can turn on for all users, I've already done so. There are very few bells and whistles left I could offer people as an added perk for their support.

However, some of these add-ons that developers have worked on, and subsequently sell, could be part of the solution. I'd not previously looked up individual thread ignoring before, so I didn't know about this plugin that does that.

I don't see why any of this would dissuade new users. No-one would lose access to anything at all, should a "site supporter" option be offered. Users, both old and new, would have everything they do today - I'd not take anything away - that wouldn't be the right thing to do.
Bite the bullet - just do it, as you describe above.

I’m in the group that would chip in whatever the benefits.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Fair enough, your opinion.

Struggling to understand the objections though. Once the plugin is installed, users can choose which threads to ignore with no effort required from the mods.
Those who don't want the :shit:threads in their peripheral vision never have to see them again.

And those who object to such a feature simply don't use it.

Win win, no?
Common sense like that will be frowned upon ... by some ;)

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
When you go for the handshake when you meet someone, some people go for a grab more of the fingers than the hand, some go deep in and rub their flaginas (skin between thumb and forefinger) together.
No we just stood near a pool table and had a considered chat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here