Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you watch the'wimmin' at Wembley?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
:facepalm:
I need to be careful what I say here, as I work for the club and have just got home from leading tonight's Girls Invitation Centre (U11s-U15s) session at Lancing, while Amy Merrick's BHAWFC reserves played a friendly on the pitch next to us - so I have an interest in this. ��

A few points:

None of the players in the womens team are paid. They all work full-time, and train three nights a week, in their own time.

The set-up is incredibly professional, and - like every team based at our training ground, from U7s pre-academy to the mens 1st team - they play the Brighton way.

As had already been noted, most people clearly haven't seen BHAWFC play - even when they were at The Amex in December and (a) played Charlton (2nd in the league at the time) off the pitch for 90 mins and (b) threw in plenty of "crunching" challenges that would have satisfied an old-school traditionalist - with at least two Charlton players taken off after being on the receiving end.

Probably banging my head against a brick wall, but hey...

Some people begrudge women playing for free and representing the club with pride and winning their league.:facepalm:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It would probably help your argument if you actually knew what the word meant. and used it in its correct context.

Just for your benefit (and yours alone - everyone seems to know), Brian...

Misogyny (/mɪˈsɒdʒɪni/) is the hatred or dislike of women or girls.

Misogyny can be manifested in numerous ways, including sexual discrimination, hostility, male supremacist ideas, belittling of women, violence against women, and sexual objectification of women.

Even from the most conservative standpoint, you've fulfilled four of those six examples by a distance.

Put your shovel down.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I need to be careful what I say here, as I work for the club and have just got home from leading tonight's Girls Invitation Centre (U11s-U15s) session at Lancing, while Amy Merrick's BHAWFC reserves played a friendly on the pitch next to us - so I have an interest in this. ��

A few points:

None of the players in the womens team are paid. They all work full-time, and train three nights a week, in their own time.

The set-up is incredibly professional, and - like every team based at our training ground, from U7s pre-academy to the mens 1st team - they play the Brighton way.

As had already been noted, most people clearly haven't seen BHAWFC play - even when they were at The Amex in December and (a) played Charlton (2nd in the league at the time) off the pitch for 90 mins and (b) threw in plenty of "crunching" challenges that would have satisfied an old-school traditionalist - with at least two Charlton players taken off after being on the receiving end.

Probably banging my head against a brick wall, but hey...

Amy Merricks is brilliant. She is the manager of the Albion Women's Development Squad. She and James Marrs (the first-team manager) were on the Roar last summer.

What came across was how focussed and professional they are in their approach and attitude in what they are trying to achieve. Millwall's loss is the Albion's gain.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It would probably help your argument if you actually knew what the word meant. and used it in its correct context.

Ok, BG. This should give context.

Do you believe there should be an active women's football movement in this country with all ages encouraged and supported in their playing ? Yes or No.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Would I go along and watch/support them. Yeah I guess, if I had the time. However, I wouldn't want to pay for it. Sorry PC be damned. At present I only have the money for a man type game of skill & football.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Would I go along and watch/support them. Yeah I guess, if I had the time. However, I wouldn't want to pay for it. Sorry PC be damned. At present I only have the money for a man type game of skill & football.

You don't have to pay if you're a STH.

You do, however, have to go to Lancing.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Talking your usual clap trap to get people on your side. A misogynist is something I could never be accused of being but I do believe certain things are best done by women and certain by men.

It's a fecking sport, it's not procreation.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Because I've worked within girls and women's football for over 3 years and want to do what I can to support the game..

Fair enough.

Its not for me, but I'm not narrow minded enough to think its not worthwhile. I think there was about 30,000 at that Cup Final, which I must admit surprised me.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
To get to a final would be a big achievement and the whole of the city would get behind them because Brighton uses any excuse for a party. If it happened I am sure they would get a good turnout. I wouldn’t turn my nose up at going and would consider it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Misogyny (/mɪˈsɒdʒɪni/) is the hatred or dislike of women or girls.

Yes, I think we all knew that.

Misogyny can be manifested in numerous ways, including sexual discrimination, hostility, male supremacist ideas, belittling of women, violence against women, and sexual objectification of women.
So which one of those, precisely, applies to those decide that women's football is not of interest to them personally, thank you very much?

In fact, if you want to go lecturing people on misogyny, you would do better to target those on here who have advocated shirt swapping and cameras in the dressing room (sexual objectification of women, if you please, m'lud) - but I suppose BG is a more popular target.

And a point of information re: the vilification of anyone who uses the phrase 'Man's game' in the context of football. From 1921 it was - under FA rules, all clubs in the FA were not allowed to let women play football on their pitches. This rule applied for fifty years, and wasn't changed until 1971 - so within the lifetime of many of the older punters on here football was a man's game. Officially!

Many things will change in the course of a lifetime - some you will like, and some you won't. Those changes you don't like, by and large you have to accept. It's no crime to not like it though.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Yes, I think we all knew that.

Ben's Grandad evidently didn't.

So which one of those, precisely, applies to those decide that women's football is not of interest to them personally, thank you very much?

The fact women's football is of no interest to him is hardly 'misogyny', but then you know (or at least you really should know) that we're not talking about his lack of interest.

In fact, if you want to go lecturing people on misogyny, you would do better to target those on here who have advocated shirt swapping and cameras in the dressing room (sexual objectification of women, if you please, m'lud) - but I suppose BG is a more popular target.

Well, I could. But I've picked BG up on it. If you want to pick people up on misogyny too, go ahead. Or you can carry on whining about how poor BG is being targeted, as if that's the central issue here.

And a point of information re: the vilification of anyone who uses the phrase 'Man's game' in the context of football. From 1921 it was - under FA rules, all clubs in the FA were not allowed to let women play football on their pitches. This rule applied for fifty years, and wasn't changed until 1971 - so within the lifetime of many of the older punters on here football was a man's game. Officially!

So you're confirming the contention that it's a man's game is total bollocks, and has been for the past 45 years. Thanks.

Many things will change in the course of a lifetime - some you will like, and some you won't. Those changes you don't like, by and large you have to accept. It's no crime to not like it though.

I don't give a toss whether he or anyone else likes it or not. That's their choice.

I'm more concerned with the reasoning behind some people's ignorant views.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I have tried to explain I do not qualify as a misogynist under any of the categories that Big Al sorry Albion Roar has stated. When the FA allow females to play in a side comprised of both sexes in a competition under their jurisdiction then I will perhaps change my view. Until then I am a firm believer that football should be a male participant sport.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ben's Grandad evidently didn't.
Misogyny is the hatred of women? Oh, I'm sure he did!

The fact women's football is of no interest to him is hardly 'misogyny'
Quite. I'm glad you appreciate that fact.

Well, I could. But I've picked BG up on it. If you want to pick people up on misogyny too, go ahead.
No, I've got no interest in being some sort of moral crusader / arbiter of what's acceptable on here. Unlike some, perhaps.

Or you can carry on whining about how poor BG is being targeted, as if that's the central issue here.
Wildly inappropriate phrase in the - "carry on whining". Firstly, provide any example of what I said as 'whining'. Yes, I was criticising you - perhaps that's your definition of 'whining'. And as for carry on - that implies I'm serially defending BG. I have done so in one post on one thread - hardly carrying on, is it?

So you're confirming the contention that it's a man's game is total bollocks, and has been for the past 45 years. Thanks.
Actually I was pointing out the fact that it was a man's game, officially, within living memory. The rest is your own inventive interpretation.

I don't give a toss whether he or anyone else likes it or not. That's their choice.

I'm more concerned with the reasoning behind some people's ignorant views.
I wasn't thinking of BG - I was thinking of you. In forty years time, if you're still around, many things will have changed. Some of the changes you will not like - and when you come on here and say that, and some enthusiastic supporter of the new order comes on and lambasts you for daring to think that, you can take comfort that it's no crime to not like a particular change. The person laying into you may be making a pompous pr*t of himself, but the same thing will probably happen to him thirty or forty years later.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Misogyny is the hatred of women? Oh, I'm sure he did!

No, he really didn't. If he did, he would have understood what he was saying was misogynstic, but he didn't. He said so.

Quite. I'm glad you appreciate that fact.

I appreciated it at the time. It's you who has chosen to misrepresent my posts.

No, I've got no interest in being some sort of moral crusader / arbiter of what's acceptable on here. Unlike some, perhaps.

Ha, ha. Good one.

Actually I was pointing out the fact that it was a man's game, officially, within living memory. The rest is your own inventive interpretation.

I've made no interpretation. I've stated a fact based on your posts. Since 1971, football hasn't just been a man's game. The history is irrelevant here, seeing as we're talking about now.

I wasn't thinking of BG - I was thinking of you. In forty years time, if you're still around, many things will have changed. Some of the changes you will not like - and when you come on here and say that, and some enthusiastic supporter of the new order comes on and lambasts you for daring to think that, you can take comfort that it's no crime to not like a particular change. The person laying into you may be making a pompous pr*t of himself, but the same thing will probably happen to him thirty or forty years later.

You're defending a misogynist, (or rather, criticising an anti-misogynist) and throwing out meaningless platitudes like calling someone a pompous prat for doing so. That's your problem, not mine.

But then, if society deems that - now or in 40 years; time - that women aren't allowed an opportunity of having equal role - or in this instance, the right to play football, I'd suggest it's a society in real trouble.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Before the Women's World Cup I probably would of said no. But now I would definitely .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.

edit: As long as I could afford a ticket. Which would also be the same if it was men playing :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
As I have tried to explain I do not qualify as a misogynist under any of the categories that Big Al sorry Albion Roar has stated. When the FA allow females to play in a side comprised of both sexes in a competition under their jurisdiction then I will perhaps change my view. Until then I am a firm believer that football should be a male participant sport.

:wozza:

If anyone want to carry on defending this, help yourself.

It's not as though you're not interested in women's football, BG - believe me, we've got that bit by now. You actively believe women have no right to play football. And then claim you're not a mysogynist.

You would deny women the opportunity, pleasure and right to play because women aren't as good as men (which is what you said earlier? Apart from that (which would mean women shouldn't play tennis, cricket, athletics, swim etc.) you haven't stated a valid reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here