Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you want to go to Marseille away?

Would you want to go to Marseille away?

• Yes, yes!

Votes: 208 69.6%
  • No chance.

Votes: 91 30.4%

• Total voters

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I went to Marseille v Bordeaux a few years ago (when Poyet was Bordeaux's boss) and took my two young sons. We sat in the stand along the pitch opposite the main stand and the guy next to us smoke a joint for most of the first-half. Five minutes before the end a group of Ultras started climbing over the fence to get at another fan group who were in our stand. These were Marseille fans going for other Marseille fans...

I know France very well and am disappointed that we have them. Toulouse and Rennes would have been far more pleasant and welcoming. Think carefully about your behaviour in Marseille.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Are they probably one of the worst set of fans in europe? lots of ultras, love a good fight, fireworks galore in the stadium…..

was going to take my 10 year old till was informed probably not safe….

what are ppls thoughts?
Not recommended. Never been personally but a good friend has and he can take care of himself. Felt genuinely scared for his life for the first and last time at the football. Do not take a 10 year old.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Exactly out of all the cities in France I would say Marseille has the biggest issue with integration from some of its North African immigrants. That’s based on my opinion looking casually at crime stats etc .

I’m not always right but I usually am .

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I went to Marseille v Bordeaux a few years ago (when Poyet was Bordeaux's boss) and took my two young sons. We sat in the stand along the pitch opposite the main stand and the guy next to us smoke a joint for most of the first-half. Five minutes before the end a group of Ultras started climbing over the fence to get at another fan group who were in our stand. These were Marseille fans going for other Marseille fans...

I know France very well and am disappointed that we have them. Toulouse and Rennes would have been far more pleasant and welcoming. Think carefully about your behaviour in Marseille.
Agree Have had several short visits to meet up with French friends, Very nice place but was always advised not to walk around at night time. Should be ok but at none of the venues would it be a good idea walking around with Albion shirt on.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Agree Have had several short visits to meet up with French friends, Very nice place but was always advised not to walk around at night time. Should be ok but at none of the venues would it be a good idea walking around with Albion shirt on.
I am seeing 3 games there in the rugby. I probably will wear an England rugby shirt for the England game, but haven’t decided yet. I have been there for the rugby in 2007 and then again for the Russia game in Euro 2016, so have seen it from a few angles. For the Russia game we gave the bars in the port a swerve and that was probably wise!

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
For those thinking Marseille is bad, AEK aren't a walk in the park either. So much so I doubt there'll be away fans between Ajax and AEK as last time AEK threw petrol bombs into the Ajax end in Athens.

Fecking hell! I knew it got lively over there but didn't realise was petrol bombs in to the away stands kind of lively.... :ohmy:

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Fecking hell! I knew it got lively over there but didn't realise was a petrol bombs in to the away stands kind of lively.... :oops:
They had a lot of trouble against Zagreb, but sounds like they were on the receiving end more than anything:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I said in another thread that at least it might be best if Marseille is our first away game. I'm sure it'll still be dicey but would surely be worse if it was the final match where the result was really critical for the teams to stay in the competition. Wouldn't fancy that much. That said, the general apprehension about the fixture means it's probably my best chance of getting a ticket so we'll see!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Incidentally, Marseille away cannot be the first game as France are playing in Marseille in the rugby World Cup on Thursday, September 21.
Good. I'd like to be at the first one, but Marseille away sounds like it might be not worth the risk/hassle.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Marseille can feel a bit rough after you've enjoyed the beautiful towns of provence but its an underrated city IMO. That said its got some unpleasant parts and the football team are known to have some very unpleasant supporters.

I'd go in a heartbeat but would certainly be cautious around the stadium.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I definitely want to do one of the aways. This is probably in third place but not a total no-no. We'll see once the dates and allocations come out.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
If you rock up with a group of 5+ in your Stone Island gear mouthing off then trouble will find you. Of course being English we always get targeted abroad anyway so it doesn’t take much for a kick off. But it’s just as easy to avoid it and there are plenty of decent ‘normal’ home fans in Europe.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Fecking hell! I knew it got lively over there but didn't realise was petrol bombs in to the away stands kind of lively.... :ohmy:
Yeah, there are some serious clashes between fans over in Athens, like this one...

EDIT: Whoops, I see it already has been posted :facepalm:

Jimmy Grimble

I think there is a very good chance we will play them at home first.

They have to be away for it because of the rugby WC and I reckon PB/TB will be gunning for a home game first up in the squabble over fixture dates….

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here