Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you take a place in the PO Final now...

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Half the top 6 get promoted but we're not, yet, guaranteed a top 6 finish, so there is a less than 50% chance of going up. In the playoff final there is exactly 50% so that has to be the answer.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
By taking the playoff final, you are assuming we won't get there anyway
No I'm not. We might get there, we might not. We might finish top two, we might not. As things stand, the chance of us getting promotion is about 28%. If we were guaranteed a place in the final, the chance would be about 50%. That's a lot better than 28% right. So it's a good idea.

Of course I totally respect those that don't care there's less chance, they want to enjoy the ride and see what happens. But in terms of odds, of course we'd be better with a guaranteed place in the final.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Well, perhaps, each to their own.

I'm certain that on April 6th, the 'likelyhood' of top 2 will have significantly shifted in our favour.

Far too early to 'cash out' for me.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
A playoff spot will exceed this seasons expectations in all honesty. So lets secure that first, then launch an all out assault on the big three for an automatic - The pressures all on them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Too early to cash out. Every week we see all sorts of posts about 'must win' games, 'no chance Boro will slip up' etc etc, then another set of daft results come in. With the squad we've got now, Hull not scoring, boro falling to bits and none of the other playoff contenders threatening to put a run together, it's Burnley +1 for me and we've got a very decent chance. Worst case, I'd really fancy us over two legs against any of the competition, so no, I wouldn't take a play off final place now.

Just annoyed I am missing tonight's game, having arranged stuff around the original date :-(

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm certain that on April 6th, the 'likelyhood' of top 2 will have significantly shifted in our favour.
While I like your optimism, you don't seem to understand what 'certain' means.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

I hate to say it, but yes.

Next 2 games require (most likely) 4 or more points including 3 points off the 2nd placed team, away.

Play-Off Final would require just 1 win, against a lower placed team, at a neutral ground.

Higher % chance of promotion by taking the play-off final.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I hate to say it, but yes.

Next 2 games require (most likely) 4 or more points including 3 points off the 2nd placed team, away.

Play-Off Final would require just 1 win, against a lower placed team, at a neutral ground.

Higher % chance of promotion by taking the play-off final.

Probably true but I'd argue that having two bites at the cherry are better than one.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
11 days until Premier League ?

Technically 2 losses could still get us there ?

2nd chance even if we don't make it at Riverside ?

No chance I'll change my mind at this stage !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here