Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Would you pay £1.2m for this?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Even if they can't get planning permission to knock it down and build a billion Barrett homes, they can probably modernise and extend it, and how many detached properties with large gardens and a garage do you think there are in the centre of lewes ?

I've been thinking of moving for a couple of years and want a small bungalow that I can extend/renovate etc on a fairly large plot with parking for 3 cars, south/SW facing garden and close enough to walk to a couple of cafes/pubs/restaurants. I've been looking around Hurst/Hassocks etc and they are like gold dust.

Mrs Wz helpfully suggested that we used to like 7 dials (where our previous house was), why didn't we look there as then we could stay in Brighton

Location, location, location :facepalm:
Yep it’s all about location . One of the biggest factors for people buying currently is walkability . Not having to drive to amenities, eg restaurants, coffee shops , dry cleaners , bakeries , butchers etc . To be fair it’s always been high on buyers must have lists but it has become even more desirable since covid .

You will however get a better deal in the suburbs but the rub is you usually have to drive further .

There are a few nice villages that are small enough to have many things walkable like Cuckfield for instance .

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'll raise your bungalow and give you a 9 bedroom mansion.
Right on Uckfield High Street, next to traffic lights so constant queueing traffic and opposite a bar. Good news is you can house 27 boat people and make lots of money.
By the way, looks ugly from the front but inside and out the back, wow.
That's actually a really lovely house. Not sure about being right on the High Street though, despite the convenience.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It is when you look inside. Huge building on the High Street that we all just sit outside when the lights are red.
I thought it was the former Barclays Bank, so was surprised to see the interior!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The back of the property looks like the old style public toilets.

IMG_1197.jpeg

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Even if they can't get planning permission to knock it down and build a billion Barrett homes, they can probably modernise and extend it, and how many detached properties with large gardens and a garage do you think there are in the centre of lewes ?

I've been thinking of moving for a couple of years and want a small bungalow that I can extend/renovate etc on a fairly large plot with parking for 3 cars, south/SW facing garden and close enough to walk to a couple of cafes/pubs/restaurants. I've been looking around Hurst/Hassocks etc and they are like gold dust.

Mrs Wz helpfully suggested that we used to like 7 dials (where our previous house was), why didn't we look there as then we could stay in Brighton

Location, location, location :facepalm:
I may have almost exactly what you are looking for… PM sent

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Third of an acre. It’ll get bought by a DFL, demolished and a great big place built on the plot.
£1.2m is still a lot of money for a bit of land

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
£1.2m is still a lot of money for a bit of land
It’s all relative though - if you’ve sold your place in say West London for £3m, you buy the plot, spend another £1m building a new house on it and you’re still 800k up. It’s happening all over the place - seen several places around here simply flattened and brand new, much bigger houses built on the plots.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s all relative though - if you’ve sold your place in say West London for £3m, you buy the plot, spend another £1m building a new house on it and you’re still 800k up. It’s happening all over the place - seen several places around here simply flattened and brand new, much bigger houses built on the plots.
Chris Eubank demolished his house and built a block of flats on the site a few years ago.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
A very ordinary house for silly money. In our corner of Dorset houses go for 15 million plus but a million still goes very far.

This house is a 15 minute walk from a beautiful sand beach and you'd still have 100k left

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
…..or one ‘footballers pad’
That was my thought, you could do a lot, virtually unseen on that plat, if you're good at digging, link it to the original house as a period living space, bedrooms, gym, cinema, music room etc all in the hill.

nice windows. They'll be in a skip soon enough, very few people have good taste or architectural sympathy these days

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That was my thought, you could do a lot, virtually unseen on that plat, if you're good at digging, link it to the original house as a period living space, bedrooms, gym, cinema, music room atce all in the hill.

nice windows. They'll be in a skip soon enough, very few people have good taste or architectural sympathy these days
Like this :laugh:

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
This. It is being bought for the land and potential future planning consent for more units imo.
Correct - 'hope value' is inflating the price. As it is in a Conservation Area, it'll be harder to get planning permission as the planning consultants will have to argue it's at least conserving, if not enhancing the character of the CA (notwithstanding the unremarkable current building). The CA statement is sniffy about blocks of flats that have been built nearby. Parts of Grange Road also flood so another consideration that will affect the design of any new homes.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Some of those trees look ripe for a midnight chainsaw massacre by mystery geezers with absolutely no connection to the future purchasers, no sirreee

Iroquois Boy

Dec 30, 2013
Wow I live on Grange Road - great road to live on - thinks its over priced, buts lots of houses on that side have been redeveloped - some good some not so - so we will see. Loads been up for sale recently - a house a couple of doors down is on for 1m - but I doubt it will get that. Hopefully the North Street Quarter development happens as the lack of housing is the real problem in Lewes and only those selling up in London and moving down can afford it - abit like parts of Btn.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Wow I live on Grange Road - great road to live on - thinks its over priced, buts lots of houses on that side have been redeveloped - some good some not so - so we will see. Loads been up for sale recently - a house a couple of doors down is on for 1m - but I doubt it will get that. Hopefully the North Street Quarter development happens as the lack of housing is the real problem in Lewes and only those selling up in London and moving down can afford it - abit like parts of Btn.
There's a 2 bed detached bungalow at the bottom of our road, sold for half that, but half the plot size. A lot for a 2 bed, but not so for the potentiAL, especially if you have the budget from London or down sizing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here