Would you like to see a return of standing areas at football grounds

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you want a safe standing zone introduced?

• Yes

Votes: 94 90.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Fence

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
There are always people who dislike being told to sit down by stewards during the match, but do you think that a safe standing zone / terrace should be reintroduced (If clubs want to) to the English game.

Germany has this system, and it could be used as a example for a way that clubs can provide a safe environment for those who want stand throughout to watch the game, giving people the choice again.

What do you think

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Yes. It is mathemtically proven you cannot sing as loud if you are sitting down. It is obvious.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Without doubt the lack of terracing has been the biggest factor in producing a lack of atmosphere at grounds. Compared with the terrace days, when going to football was exciting, sitting is just sooooooo boring so its not surprising the game is struggling to attract new young supporters (beyond the age at which mum or dad come with them on a cheap deal).
If teenagers and older supporters who loved the social buzz of the terrace could have a few beers, then enjoy an afternoon with their mates standing wherever they wanted, singing, generally messing about letting off steam - doing the 'Torres' bounce etc, all free of the 'nazi' stewards telling you to sit down and at a sensible entrance price >£20, the game could go forward, till then it will be a TV only game for a lot of people and attendances will gradually drop (bar the usual top teams).
At least 80% of the reason I now only go to about 12 games a season is the lack of atmosphere/laughs that were on the 'terrace' at Goldstone/Gillingham, the football was mostly shit but at least it was a laugh, you could sing, bounce etc - now the football is shit and no laughs!!!!!! That's why people like going to away games, when you can usually stand WE HAVE to stand at Falmer.

Last edited:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Yes, for the following reasons,

1. If it's cold you can at least move about a bit to keep warm. :clap2:

2. If you end up standing next to f**kwits you can move. :tosser:

3. You can hug lots more people on those rare occassions when we actually score a goal. :love:

4. It does help create a better atmosphere :dance:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Of course YES, its the proper way to watch football.

It may happen one day if enough fuss can be made.

Exiled in Indooroopilly

I found this spoon sir
Feb 12, 2009
It is a complete no brainer as far as having a laugh and creating an atmosphere is concerned. As is having a home end close behind a goal. And a roof. But who puts their hand up and takes the blame when the standing part all goes very horribly wrong?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Absolutely yes!!
It puts an end to the problem some people have who cant stand up all game, or who are too short to see ect. It also allows people to stand, if they like, which i do, without having to worry about blocking the person behind or having stewards coming up all game to tell us to sit. It will also creat a much better atmosphere, if a rule is introduced, would it be possible to include a terrace at falmer. I would presume a majority of the stadium would be complete, so it may be too late.

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
Then we wont have stewards coming up and saying sit down , that would be really good having a standing area

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
One of the beauties of non league is that you can wander round the ground and decide where you would prefer to stand. Certainly you can move away from those you would rather not be next to which is a big minus for seating as far as I'm concerned.

Do some of the larger German grounds have standing areas for german league fixtures and temporary seating for those same areas for european games? This is what I read some time ago.

Quentin

Oct 21, 2008
Start a campaign ? Us Albion fans are good at protesting, and now we've got Falmer we've got nothing left to protest about !

good shout cant see any football fan in the country who would oppose to this apart from norman baker or anyone that lives in falmer, or drinks in the swan, or that midget gobshite small man syndrome bloke who sits in f block

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Standing up at football is how to to watch the game properly.

Dandyman

In London village.
Yes, but I suspect a mixture of greed and a desire for control will mean the FA/FL will never give them back without a major fight.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why can't we have terracing anyway? Cheltenham have got it; very nice to watch a match leaning on a crush barrier again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports