• Yes.

Votes: 23 8.6%
  • No.

Votes: 245 91.4%

• Total voters

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
hmmm
there is something fascinating about guns, from the old westerns I used to watch and later mafia films, but there is absolutely no need to own a gun in this country for pleasure or safety.

Having been to America a few times my experiences are.

My wife's Father who lives in Michigan had his own successful business, did not have a gun when we first met 21 years ago, he is now retired, gone through a failed marriage found an outta town church and votes Trump, he has in the last few years purchased a hand gun, and keeps it hidden somewhere he would not tell us where. I fear for his sanity as he goes on youtube and goes down so many rabbit warrens, he struggles with reality until you sit with him and argue the difference and he can come round, until he goes back on youtube that is !!

my wife's sister has just purchased one for protection as she has been robbed twice and is a libertarian (I think that means feck you, I look after number one)

my wife's mother and her step dad - lived in Michigan and now have moved to a gated community in Arizona (all very white)
she has always owned a hand gun, but we have never seen it.
her step dad is retired and very, very wealthy and has numerous old original smith & westerns and the like, they have also a panic room in the property with provisions and semi automatics - am not sure who they vote for (probably the side which give the best tax breaks)

The first time we went to their house in Arizona about 2003 they were not home, it was late about 9pm when we got there, they were in their other house in the UP Michigan and were coming to meet us a week later.
So we got in and I was like a child as they have lots of old western stuff, holsters, hats, guns etc just on display but not in cabinets or anything. So I like a child put on a holster with gun around my waist and one of those Mexican bullet belts that go across your waist and a cowboy hat, and was messing about. The doorbell rang and I took off the hat and answered the door, there was a neighbour who came to check who was in the property as they knew the mother in law was away, he took one look at me stepped back in panic and shouted who the feck are you.... he then shouted to his wife who was legging it, call 911

My wife came to the door and he immediately recognised her and the situation calmed down. The other half warned me if they had just called security for the gated community or the police and I had opened the door to them, she would be collecting on the life insurance.

So now when pretending to be Billy the kid, I do not open the door.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Well this would be fun if guns became legal here, bottle tops still banned but bring a concealed hand gun to the Amex, no problem.

No I wouldn't want any sort of gun.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I really wouldn't trust myself. Everyone has a point where they snap. If at that point you have easy access to a gun then it becomes deadly. Just not a good idea.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
One mind-boggling comment I heard by one of the Texas governors yesterday was that the best response would be to start arming teachers :facepalm:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I’ve fired a few guns over the years, never in combat or in a life or death situation though. We had training in Army cadets and I’ve used countless blank firers on film sets. So as I’ve never had to use one to defend mine or anyone else’s life it’s not really a call I am comfortable to make.

Having said that, I voted “yes” to owning one. Mainly because I think I society is going to fall apart in my lifetime and I’d like the reassurance of owning a firearm to shoot people who intend me harm.
Which sounds odd now I have typed it out.

I keep an extendable police style baton hidden in my bedroom incase I ever have to front up to an intruder. That’s enough for now.

You'd likely face prosecution using that on an intruder as it's a weapon kept for the purpose.

I prefer to keep a short rounders bat (and the set of stumps, bag and ball that comes with it) in my bedroom...:whistle: Love a game of rounders me.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You'd likely face prosecution using that on an intruder as it's a weapon kept for the purpose.

I prefer to keep a short rounders bat (and the set of stumps, bag and ball that comes with it) in my bedroom...:whistle: Love a game of rounders me.

You’re right, it is a last resort. Like you, I have an “everyday object” nearby that can serve a purpose, a dumbell bar with weights nearby.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
My in-laws own a small holding in West Wales. 4 acres of land and plenty of pests such as Foxes and rats. I can see the temptation to use a rifle to look after their own animals. Personally I've no interest in sitting on the bench with a night vision sighter waiting for something to arrive but I've not had to deal with animal remains after the fox has visited

What animals are you trying to protect - foxes are scared of anything bigger than them, scared of cats and stoats etc. They will hunt mice though.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I was going to get one in the 80s; after going shooting at the range down the seafront with a mate a few times I thought it might be fun. We shot several pistols and rifles and, although we weren't supposed to, shotguns.
Then Hungerford happened, they were all banned and I had to forget that idea.
In retrospect the banning of them was probably a good thing.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
No is the the correct answer,trouble is most of NSC user's live where there an actual police on patrol,nothing like this here Out in the Sticks.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
No is the the correct answer,trouble is most of NSC user's live where there an actual police on patrol,nothing like this here Out in the Sticks.

think there must be more police in the rural areas as they turn up in 5-10s when hunt saboteurs are around (who trying to enforce the law) but i have not seen a police man 'patrolling' Woodingdean' for 30 years or more (excepting the helicopter).

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
In regard to the tragic events in Texas, would you like to own a hand gun, if it became legal in this country?

Yes, if it was legal to own a handgun in this country i would like to own one.
I love target shooting, when im in the US one of the first things i do is meet some chums and shoot.
My preference of ownership would be a rifle though, handguns are bloody difficult to master (relatively speaking)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
An awful lot of gun owners in the States tend to be obese, out of work, divorced, god fearing angry men - or losers.

Owning a gun seems to give them some sort of deluded belief that they are still an alpha male

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ve got enough Klimbim in my man bag already, so no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here