Would you like to own a hand gun?

• Yes.

Votes: 23 8.6%
  • No.

Votes: 245 91.4%

• Total voters

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
If it was legal I'd definitely get a gun. I don't think people realise just quite how little it would take for things to turn very nasty very quickly. Genuine food shortages are more possible than ever with global supply chain issues, and all it would take would be a big solar flare which could take all our power out for considerable time, or god forbid Russia threw us a nuke. In either scenarios things would get very ugly, particularly in inner cities. If those situations arose or similar I'd be very grateful for a gun deterrent.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Target shooting is fun, but one can just go to clubs to participate.

A gun for self defence or protection would mean that I am living in fear of my environment. I am not and if I am I will move.

I am simply not prepared to live in fear like that.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
If it was legal I'd definitely get a gun. I don't think people realise just quite how little it would take for things to turn very nasty very quickly. Genuine food shortages are more possible than ever with global supply chain issues, and all it would take would be a big solar flare which could take all our power out for considerable time, or god forbid Russia threw us a nuke. In either scenarios things would get very ugly, particularly in inner cities. If those situations arose or similar I'd be very grateful for a gun deterrent.

I prefer to live life more naively and innocently than in this state of paranoia - this is the reason why the States is in such a state imo.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

Why hasn't this always been the case? There have always been wars, since the 60s there has been a threat of nuclear war, there has always been the threat of massive natural disasters (meteors or whatever), there is the threat of alien invasion :lizard:. This country has got through them all ok without need for you to run out and buy a gun for deterrence. Maybe the internet does not help nowadays with paranoia?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Why hasn't this always been the case? There have always been wars, since the 60s there has been a threat of nuclear war, there has always been the threat of massive natural disasters (meteors or whatever), there is the threat of alien invasion :lizard:. This country has got through them all ok without need for you to run out and buy a gun for deterrence. Maybe the internet does not help nowadays with paranoia?

When none of the above actually happen, and you have a steadily increasing number of gun owners with nothing (in reality) to defend themselves against, the only thing for them to worry about is that there are lots of people out there with guns.
So they buy a few more...just in case....so more people feel the need to protect themselves against these people who have lots of guns, and go and buy a gun.
And so the cycle continues and you end up as the USA Pt. 2.
Great, innit?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I do know 2 people, ex servicemen who do own illegal handguns brought back as souvenirs from our foreign wars.

Last I knew, neither had fired them in this country, just kept hidden away in the house.
I really don’t understand why, and I don’t think they do either.

Matelot with a gun…..[emoji33]

I spent a lot of time on ranges and in armouries and tbh found the whole thing very tedious. Very noisy and too much time spent cleaning weapons. I’m always slightly disturbed by how much pleasure people seem to get from firing automatic weapons on ranges. Point and shoot at a target that you shouldn’t miss ….. no skill in that.

I can understand shooting clay’s, competition target shooting and shooting game on the proviso that you eat what you shoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

You run out of tinfoil?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Matelot with a gun…..[emoji33]

I spent a lot of time on ranges and in armouries and tbh found the whole thing very tedious. Very noisy and too much time spent cleaning weapons. I’m always slightly disturbed by how much pleasure people seem to get from firing automatic weapons on ranges. Point and shoot at a target that you shouldn’t miss ….. no skill in that.

I can understand shooting clay’s, competition target shooting and shooting game on the proviso that you eat what you shoot.

Thankfully, neither were matelots!

When doing some firearms training years ago, our class,(it might have been a leadership course) had a Wren who was very nervous of guns, and really didn’t want to fire one. As was the way in those days, she either took part in the exercise or failed the course. She was okay on the handgun, but when she had to fire the Sten gun, the rounds being ejected from the side of gun, scared her so much , she dropped the gun, and ran away.

She failed the whole course.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Thankfully, neither were matelots!

When doing some firearms training years ago, our class,(it might have been a leadership course) had a Wren who was very nervous of guns, and really didn’t want to fire one. As was the way in those days, she either took part in the exercise or failed the course. She was okay on the handgun, but when she had to fire the Sten gun, the rounds being ejected from the side of gun, scared her so much , she dropped the gun, and ran away.

She failed the whole course.

TBF the SMG was a hideous weapon and certainly wasn’t my favourite.
The thought of the general populace having access to side arms fills me full of dread. I would go as far as to say that if you want one, then by default you shouldn’t be allowed one.

If ex colleges from the US are anything to go by they are the same people who cream themselves over muscle cars …..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
TBF the SMG was a hideous weapon and certainly wasn’t my favourite.
The thought of the general populace having access to side arms fills me full of dread. I would go as far as to say that if you want one, then by default you shouldn’t be allowed one.

If ex colleges from the US are anything to go by they are the same people who cream themselves over muscle cars …..

This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here