Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you, if circumstances allowed, Forgive Gus and welcome him back to the Albion?

To Gus or not to Gus?

• Total voters

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I get the feeling that the answer might be different if you asked this question of non-NSC users. Regardless of your opinion, I doubt there are many NSC users who aren't tired of the same threads, with the same people posting the same opinions over and over again.

You always say that

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
**** off. NSC is full of spineless wonders. I would not welcome him back here. He had his chance and blew it. He could have taken us to the PL and had his dream with the players and supporters who trusted in him. He however always thought the grass was greener elsewhere. So no thanks.
Absolutely spot on...It just goes to show how ridiculously stupid many fans are in modern day football...Most were hating him not long ago and let's be frank his football was one dimensional and boring most of the time...Signing sicknote vicente made many cream their pants in his rare appearances,these sort of moments seem to stick to certain types of fans and they don't forget them until the next great thing happens.

This is what many modern day fans are like sadly and the thought of that horrid cretin coming anywhere near my club again makes me very angry.You do get the impression we have certain fans who supported gus rather than the club,these types of fans have mental health issues.

Seems to be a big problem with fans living in the past on here,ex players and managers bla bla bla:nono:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I thought that the restriction was on clubs approaching managers, not the other way round ???

In any case if there was a clear-cut legal basis for the gross misconduct charge then why didn't the club go after either GP or Sunderland for compensation but rather achieved a 'settlement' over GP ending his legal action?

Because :

a) The club needed a manager pronto, and could not risk letting Poyet drag the club into an employment tribunal. You cannot appoint a new manager until the old one drops any legal challenge. Oscar Garcia cannot be offered a position if ( there is a likelihood that ) a Court decides that Poyet should be re-instated - there is no vacancy.
b) Bloom had lost faith in Poyet and wouldn't accept him back under any circumstances ( breach of trust ).
c) The Club didn't have anything other than 'circumstantial' evidence which would not have been sufficient to prove the case one way or the other, and it's no guarantee Sunderland were the club in question.
d) Bloom is not going to spunk his money on lawyers fees and barristers, which is where it was all heading.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
For those accusing me of re-writing history, I would just like to repeat some facts that came from within Reading FC and from someone in a senior position, who knew exactly what went on.
Poyet was in talks with Reading on more than one occasion ( approx two months before the season end ) He expressed an interest in managing the club, was made an offer and he informed Reading that he would ' go away and sleep on it ' Reading were expecting an answer the following day. They were also so confident of getting their man that the staff and players were told that the new manager would be in place very soon and that it would be Gus Poyet.
The following day, Poyet made the BHA board aware of Reading's interest and their offer. The board clearly felt that they were being held to ransom and refused to play ball. Reading then got wind of Poyet's antics and pulled out of any further discussions.
So believe what you like about Tanno's comments....not interested...only Reading etc....He was clearly playing one club off against another and trying to lever a better deal for himself, knowing that the BHA board would resist. I firmly believe he wanted out and engineered this situation to drive a rift between himself and the board. He had an agenda in place. He wanted out of BHA ( even though we had a chance of PL football ) and wanted a job at a bigger club.
Not content with that, he appears to have unsettled some of our playing staff by suggesting that they wait before putting pen to paper on new contracts, with the underlying suggestion that he may not be around the following season.
I have no problem with ambition and wanting to better yourself and there are ways and means of doing it with maturity and dignity. Sadly, I don't believe that Poyet demonstrated either of these and was ultimately disrespectful to the Chairman, who had backed him to the hilt and to the fans, many of whom had taken him to their hearts.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Because :

a) The club needed a manager pronto, and could not risk letting Poyet drag the club into an employment tribunal. You cannot appoint a new manager until the old one drops any legal challenge. Oscar Garcia cannot be offered a position if ( there is a likelihood that ) a Court decides that Poyet should be re-instated - there is no vacancy.
b) Bloom had lost faith in Poyet and wouldn't accept him back under any circumstances ( breach of trust ).
c) The Club didn't have anything other than 'circumstantial' evidence which would not have been sufficient to prove the case one way or the other, and it's no guarantee Sunderland were the club in question.
d) Bloom is not going to spunk his money on lawyers fees and barristers, which is where it was all heading.

Not sure that is correct. Where does it say you cannot appoint someone to do a job just because the previous incumbent is taking legal action. A court would not decide that Poyet could be reinstated. If found in his favour it would determine the level of compensation. How do you know the club only had circumstantial evidence? If that was the case, surely they would not have sacked him without a negotiated settlement! More likely Poyet dropped the case because it was affecting his employability by Sunderland.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Because :

Problem with that is that a 'settlement' was not reached until November 2013, long after Oscar had been appointed!

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
The last option made me laugh so opted for that.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Interesting, intriguing, informative and revealing. As an exercise in reactive posting as well as a measure of the work that, that sage healer time has wrought - or perhaps not. Some fascinating and concise prose, especially considering the emotive slant of the subject matter.

One thing is clear, he will never be forgotten... and quite right too.

Tomorrow Grind Cretin it is then.

Kosh

Last edited:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I thought that the restriction was on clubs approaching managers, not the other way round ???

In any case if there was a clear-cut legal basis for the gross misconduct charge then why didn't the club go after either GP or Sunderland for compensation but rather achieved a 'settlement' over GP ending his legal action?

Russell Slade is having to seek permission from Orient Chairman Francesco Becchetti before he can speak to the Board of Cardiff City.

From Wales Online:

" However, speaking after his side's game at Scunthorpe, Slade said: “I think they (Cardiff City) may have requested permission to talk to me but I'm uncertain- I am a little in the dark.

“But it is nice to be associated with such a big club like Cardiff. I'm very proud of the fact that they have seen the good work we've done here.”

From the BBC:

" The Bluebirds are still interested in talking to the Orient boss about their vacant post, BBC Wales Sport understands.

On Monday, Orient rejected an approach for 53-year-old Slade, who has been their manager since 2010.

"It's frustrating," Slade said after Orient's defeat to Sheffield United.

"It's been turned down and that's all I can say, and whether Cardiff come back again I'm not sure. "

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.

Not sure that is correct. Where does it say you cannot appoint someone to do a job just because the previous incumbent is taking legal action. A court would not decide that Poyet could be reinstated. If found in his favour it would determine the level of compensation. How do you know the club only had circumstantial evidence? If that was the case, surely they would not have sacked him without a negotiated settlement! More likely Poyet dropped the case because it was affecting his employability by Sunderland.

I have never said these are the facts, they are a hypothesis that fits the facts........

I am quietly confident that Sunderland were not one of the clubs Poyet may have been talking to, however if Poyet had approached 'Club X' ( and who can be certain Reading were the only ones sniffing around ) directly then he should NOT have done so - if Reading telephoned him offering him what was in effect a job interview he is not allowed to discuss the matter with them ( even in passing ), and should have told them that he is contractually obliged to tell them to F*** O**. Reading are allowed to request permission to talk to Poyet ONLY if the board allow this. They did not. As it stands Poyet breached his contract. The board of BHAFC have grounds to put forward a charge of Gross Misconduct ( which is more than likely to be supported by evidence that means Poyet has a very weak defence case even if a denial was forthcoming ) and the rest is history.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have never said these are the facts, they are a hypothesis that fits the facts........

I am quietly confident that Sunderland were not one of the clubs Poyet may have been talking to, however if Poyet had approached 'Club X' ( and who can be certain Reading were the only ones sniffing around ) directly then he should NOT have done so - if Reading telephoned him offering him what was in effect a job interview he is not allowed to discuss the matter with them ( even in passing ), and should have told them that he is contractually obliged to tell them to F*** O**. Reading are allowed to request permission to talk to Poyet ONLY if the board allow this. They did not. As it stands Poyet breached his contract. The board of BHAFC have grounds to put forward a charge of Gross Misconduct ( which is more than likely to be supported by evidence that means Poyet has a very weak defence case even if a denial was forthcoming ) and the rest is history.

The post I was referring to was stating things such as you cannot appoint another manager until the legal case is resolved. You stated that as if it were a fact, not an opinion.

As for Reading, I am sure most people believe that, at the very minimum, a club will sound out the agent to see if there is interest. You also seem to suggest that Reading didn't have permission to talk to Poyet when in fact they did. Where is the evidence that the board did not allow Poyet permission to discuss a move to Reading?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The board DID give permission for Reading to talk to Poyet on 20th March.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/mar/20/gus-poyet-reading-brighton

The rumour that went round was that Fulham also made an approach, so that MAY have been the reason, but the Reading approach seemed to be above board (excuse the pun).

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Best football i have ever seen us play. Of course i want him back. He is a premier league manager and was turning us into a premier league team. We've taken a backwards step since he left.

His ego never bothered me, it's what makes him a great manager IMO.

The club decided they wanted to operate differently, restricting Gus' use of the budget and ability to sign players. So he moved on. Hard to blame either party really.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Best football i have ever seen us play. Of course i want him back. He is a premier league manager and was turning us into a premier league team. We've taken a backwards step since he left.

His ego never bothered me, it's what makes him a great manager IMO.

The club decided they wanted to operate differently, restricting Gus' use of the budget and ability to sign players. So he moved on. Hard to blame either party really.
Is this because you're comparing the previous 20 years of dire football with no funds etc?
It wouldn't take much to be our best football in most peoples lifetimes...Shame you never remember the boring dire games and there was bucket loads of them.

Yes the club wanted to operate differently and that's called sticking with your budget,gus doesn't care about the club's finances and going by the palace 2nd leg he didn't give a shite about us either.

Guess you always get fans who live in the past :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is this because you're comparing the previous 20 years of dire football with no funds etc?
It wouldn't take much to be our best football in most peoples lifetimes...Shame you never remember the boring dire games and there was bucket loads of them.

Yes the club wanted to operate differently and that's called sticking with your budget,gus doesn't care about the club's finances and going by the palace 2nd leg he didn't give a shite about us either.

Guess you always get fans who live in the past :)

The financial losses included everything in the club, not just the playing budget, which as has already been posted, wasn't anywhere near the top in the division. There were office and backroom staff made redundant as that was top heavy. It also included projects like the electronic advertising boards which Paul Barber admitted he loaded into the budget before FFP came into force.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'd feel rather splendid momentarily if he did return, yes. I wouldn't see it necessarily hugely working, with the camp a tad divided and with the nagging feeling once more that the love would be likely short-lived. I'd bug his phone, probably, as I have for many of my cheating ex's who've returned to my hairy arms, and have a local beggar take up home in his neighbourhood to keep a closer eye on his physical doings, again like I did with the former Mrs Meadeses that I didn't trust the full devotion of - Maggie Meade didn't take long noticing the unsubtle activities of phlegmy Ron (he was a remarkable artist, Ron, and his grubby sketchings of her exploits letting me know on a daily basis whether she was indeed, as I suspected, back into the erotic clasp of greasy Ali from the cobblers - when thumbing through his most recent works, found amidst his inebriated and urine-scented body after drunkenly tumbling from the bus she'd identically alighted from, each truth-wielding doodle with my name and address on the back of.
It rarely works a second time, so I'd feel pleasure when I saw him rub his hands or when his thin lips were in full rant over the unfairness of one thing or another, but know deep down it wouldn't be right.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I thought his team selection was so naff against Stoke I put a tenner on Stoke to win at 19/10. First bet for about five years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here