Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you be happy with a BHAFC 11 made up entirely of " foreigners " ?

The make up of a BHAFC 11

• I would not be bothered with 11 foreign players

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • I would rather a balance of English and Foreign players

Votes: 60 58.8%
  • I would rather have 11 English players

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I am wanting Murray to win Wimbledon and he is " foreign "

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Would you be happy with a BHAFC 11 made up entirely of " foreigners " ?

I always berated clubs like Arsenal and the like for having a team made up with no English players let alone local players.

I guess we have moved on from the fire and brimstone of Kerry " Ginger Prince " Mayo , Gary " OGH " Hart and Charlie " bite your ankles " Oatway but I will find it sad if we are solely comprised of foreign players.

Is this the way forward to have players who have to get a map to find out where Brighton is, it is I guess a sign of the times.

Where do you stand ?

Last edited:

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Yeh i would rather have a team full of foreign stars than a team of average British players. They play for our club, not our country. Vicente can bring all his mates if he likes

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think though the influx of the overseas players has helped to make our national team and home grown talent so shit over the last decade.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'd prefer a balance but not for the sake of it. If it's a choice between a very good foreigner XI or an ok mixed XI then hola, bonjour and arrividerci

Oct 25, 2003
I think though the influx of the overseas players has helped to make our national team and home grown talent so shit over the last decade.

nothing to do with completely sub-standard coaching in this country then?

managers sign foreign players because they are better coached.......not out of some form of anti-english spitefulness

if what you said was true, england would've won the world cup more than once before the "influx of the overseas players", ie. they were hardly world beaters before that (apart from once)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The concept of 'foreigners' instantly, to me, brings up an image of money grabbing mercenaries.
Which naturally would be terrible.

I don't see that from the likes of Calde, Brez, Casper, Nooney, and surprisingly Vicente.

So I guess the right kind of foreigners are fine by me. (well at least that doesn't sound racist :lol:)

Is AEA a foreigner, now?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
A mix, our players need to learn foreign influences whilst we should be trying to develop our best English players.

As there are no restrictions currently it makes sense that we buy or pay foreign, particularly as foreign Clubs generally can't afford to pay anywhere near the same wages as English clubs. And the best English players command redicuous tranfer sums and wages.

But this is an FA issue not a Club issue, if it was up to me I'd put down a rule that said there must be a minimum of 9 home grown players within every match day squad like many of the leagues on the continent.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
For me nationality isn't the issue. I think it would be a real shame if there were no locally born players in & around the 1st team (certainly squad) as it would be a sign that our youth development is not up to scratch. I love seeing players come through the ranks and always feel more of a connection if players are from Sussex, or at least nearby, and have spent their formative years at the club.

There would be a real disconnect for me if all the players were bought (again, nationality aside) and had no history with the club. I love a flair signing as much as the next man but, to me, it's really important to see a contingent (even if it's only 2, 3, 4?) that are recognisably Brighton through & through. What we have at the moment with some youth team products in & around the 1st team squad and good signings is about right IMO.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
The concept of 'foreigners' instantly, to me, brings up an image of money grabbing mercenaries.
Which naturally would be terrible.

I don't see that from the likes of Calde, Brez, Casper, Nooney, and surprisingly Vicente.

So I guess the right kind of foreigners are fine by me. (well at least that doesn't sound racist :lol:)

Is AEA a foreigner, now?

??? I know he is scouse but...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If they're skilful, talented players who can play 'our' way then who cares where they come from?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Id much prefer young home grown talent , much better in the long run .

Oct 25, 2003
Id much prefer young home grown talent , much better in the long run .

no-one since man united in the mid 90's has actually had much success with that though have they? you definitely need a mix as "young home grown talent" in this country tends to not actually be that great

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I'd want the 11 best available players, nationality doesn't come into it for me.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
If you want a team full of Englishmen you should support England

Ooops

And if you want to make England great let some Sout Africans play for the team

Oops again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here