Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you be disappointed with 9th place this season?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I don't care much whether a European place or not, I'd just like us to build on where we are as a team this coming season and I hope we haven't peaked.
We should just see this season out and try not to pick up any more long term injuries. It's been a tough period for the lads.

But I would like a bit more Lording it over those up the road for a few more seasons. I hope we strengthen seriously. MIND THE GAP.

Lewes Punk

Feb 11, 2018
I want us to get through at least one knockout round in Europe. That, and a top 10 finish would be a decent season for me. I’ve always felt Caicedo was virtually irreplaceable- and so it has proved.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yes (with caveats).

We have a squad good enough for 6th (top 5 are a in different level this season) despite selling players who’d have us in the top 4 this season if we’d kept them.

Unfortunately, injuries have done for us in the League and I’ve accepted that now.

Happy with top 10 finish BUT I do expect at least one semi-final cup match. We are two wins away from two quarters so it’s very doable, especially with crying Matheus Santos Carneiro da Cunha probably out for the Wolves game.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Disappointed in the sense I feel we were capable of more had we not had such bad luck with injuries. That said, if we get all the players back fit and in form I think next season will be great; I do not think we will sell any key players and the current team will have a season of experience playing together under their belts.
I agree with this - and perhaps more importantly from a managerial (both boardroom and pitch side) and financial perspective our club is in robust health whilst at the same time achieving historical levels of advancement and success where it really matters ie on the pitch

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Top 10 for me. Come on, we’re playing in Europe and FA Cup too. It’s a lot and we’re still bottom 6 budget. Be happy!! And we stuffed Palace… :)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Yes (with caveats).

We have a squad good enough for 6th (top 5 are a in different level this season) despite selling players who’d have us in the top 4 this season if we’d kept them.

Unfortunately, injuries have done for us in the League and I’ve accepted that now.

Happy with top 10 finish BUT I do expect at least one semi-final cup match. We are two wins away from two quarters so it’s very doable, especially with crying Matheus Santos Carneiro da Cunha probably out for the Wolves game.
Find it hard to agree that we have a squad good enough for top six tbh.

We didn’t keep a clean sheet in the league for months and months (and were the last club in the entire 92 to do so). It’s never going to be possible to sustain top 6 if you concede in every game.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Maybe I’ll reflect at the end of the season …in the meantime plenty of more football to look forward to starting with next Sunday!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Il get the ball rolling with I'd snap your hand off for 9th place with all the injuries etc, still think 10th would be a good season also
You would accept 9th now?
Really?

Top 5 we won't get close too now.
After that we are currently 3 pts off 6.

We're competing against
  • Newcastle
  • United
  • West Ham
  • Wolves
  • Chelsea
We need to finish above 2 of those teams to get 9th.
I'm not sure any of those teams are more consistent than us.
Only West Ham can match our 7 losses this season. The rest have lost at least 9.
I can only think of one of our 8 draws (Liverpool) , that I would count as a point gained rather than 2 lost.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I said pre season top 10, getting out of the euro group and a domestic cup would be a great season based on the squad we have.

3 seasons top ten in a row is progress

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think the match against Spurs yesterday sums up my feelings.

We have had a ‘mare season for injuries (and no, not other teams our size have had to cope with similar) and yet by crafty and clever tweaks in our line ups, the Club‘s dedication to signing positionally flexible players, and playing some fantastic football with the limited squad available, we have somehow managed not only to stay in the top half of the table but win our Europa group and are still competing in the FA Cup.

I’m flabbergasted tbh how competitive we have been despite our insane number of very key players getting injured, so no, providing we continue to play like we did against Spurs on Saturday, a 9th or even 10th place finish would not disappoint me but I think we will do better. Hinsh being injured and Pedro is really fcuking disappointing and we have players back who admittedly still need a few more games to get back into top condition.

We will start winning more games if we keep playing like we did on Saturday - Spurs was a very tough oppo and were fighting for a UCL position but we controlled a lion-share of the game. In fact, I would say a 6th-8th place finish is more likely than 9th or 10th.

Yes of course, anything lower than 8th would be a disappointment given we are currently well in the fight for 6th place (the spot we were in at half-time yesterday)

It's like saying we wouldn't be disappointed moving from 7th spot just before the final whistle yesterday

ClemFandango

Oct 2, 2023
Yes of course, anything lower than 8th would be a disappointment given we are currently well in the fight for 6th place (the spot we were in at half-time yesterday)

It's like saying we wouldn't be disappointed moving from 7th spot just before the final whistle yesterday
Agree.. plus the teams in the hunt for 6th and 7th places are inconsistent too eg Hammers currently getting smashed by Arsenal, Villa have only won 1 in last 5 etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here