Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would it be mental

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why would a Huddersfield fan, come on a Brighton fans' message board, to ask medical/travel advice relating to a job in Malaysia?

I think, is the more PERTINENT question...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't you have the anti rabies jabs after being bitten and not beforehand?

theodorerobinson

Jul 8, 2010
Don't you have the anti rabies jabs after being bitten and not beforehand?

Yes but you are advised to have a £120 vaccination before travelling. This helps apparently but you still have to have another jab if you get bitten

Either way I think you are in the shit if you get bitten :moo:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes but you are advised to have a £120 vaccination before travelling. This helps apparently but you still have to have another jab if you get bitten

I think it used to be a course of injections if you got bitten and in the stomach as well from memory. Probably just a little scratch these days and all is well :shrug:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
If he's from Huddersfield, maybe its to protect the animals in the zoo?????

Seriously, I wouldn't risk it, and would say yes.

Poyet Laureate

Nov 17, 2009
Random post

Would it be mental to volunteer at a zoo in Malaysia without a rabies vaccination before hand?

???

So do you think you'll only come into contact with the animals in the zoo and not those running wild?

Surely the right question would be about whether or not it would be wise to go and live there without a rabies shot?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

If you get bitten without the vaccination, from what I remember being told a few years ago before travelling to South America, you will die if not given the correct medical treatment within 12 hours. With the vaccination, it's more like 48.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Not worth messing with your health, if it's recommended, then do it. Would be stupid not to, TBH. I suspect it's not so bad these days.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Ive had a rabies jab before going to Peru 8 years ago. If my memory serves me correctly I had two jabs a few months apart. Wasn't a bad one, unlike Yellow Fever which I had a shocking reaction to and was ill for weeks!

theodorerobinson

Jul 8, 2010
Well, here's one for all those who thought they knew what they were on about. A response from the lead vet at the zoo:

There will be no rabies vaccination needed prior to the trip. Malaysia is free from rabies and we only have sporadic cases at the Thai-Malaysia border. However, a TB skin test (at least 6 months prior to your placement here) would be advisable as tuberculosis is endemic here in Malaysia and there is a risk of disease transfer between people and the animals (mostly the primates and elephants) although it is more likely that you will be giving the animals TB rather the other way round. Otherwise, there should be no other requirements necessary. I hope this is useful and feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

£120 that can be spent on :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here