Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would it be fair to blame Oscar for that lacklustre performance?

Feb 3, 2013
Blame the players. They didn't motivate themselves when they should have, seeing as they must realise that the completely boring 'head coach' won't do it for them.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Mental preparation is clearly lacking, the players can get themselves up for the big games because they are big games but fail again and again where things should in theory be more comfortable.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Blame the players. They didn't motivate themselves when they should have, seeing as they must realise that the completely boring 'head coach' won't do it for them.

But surely a large part of this motivation is meant to come from the management, that is in large part what they are there for, no?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Something was certainly missing first half. Disjointed, lacklustre, errant passing. Just not enough attacking intent for me.

Tbh I couldn't imagine OG motivating anyone, he just seems dour to me.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Like who. People keep harping on about Crofts, but we got Dale Stephens, who I think Crofts would have an almighty job is he was fit to get picked in front off right now. Don't forget Crofts hardly played for us last season, and spent a lot of time on the bench.
Who else is there?

Bridge - Replaced with Ward. Whilst Ward is no quite up to last seasons Bridge, he's certainly the better of the two this season

Bridcutt, replaced with Andrews, who IMO is underrated and overly used as a scapegoat. But I would coincide Bridcutt was the better of the two, but not by as much as some would have to beleive.

Who else is there? And please dont say El-Abd or Barnes!!!

We've brought in Kemy Agustien, who for whatever reason they manager will not select in any circumstances.

Rohan Ince and Solly March have appeared from now where (credit to Oscar for that at least).
Crofts and Barnes were both our top goalscorers when they became unavailable, Bridcutt was our player of the season the past two seasons- Although he may not have appeared to fit into Oscar's game plan he was still one of our most consistent performers. Bridge was a superior player to Ward despite having injury troubles this season. Having Vicente on the bench won us several points alone even though he was only fit for around 10 games. Orlandi has seriously struggled with his fitness for the past couple of months and he was one of our stand out players last season. I could go on but lets be honest Poyet had a bigger budget than Oscar and actually chose his own players. Oscar has had very little say on the players at his disposal and there is no doubt in my mind the squad, as a whole is weaker. Add the injuries into the mix and he has done a good job getting us anywhere near the finishing position of last season, I think last season was our missed opportunity and it's going to take us a little while to rebuild a squad capable of challenging for promotion from this division, in my opinion.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
According to The Argue/Andy Naylor the message to the players was to stay 'grounded'? Sorry, but at this stage of the season I do not want grounded players, I want players who are champing at the bit, fighting for their careers, giving their all in a hail of blood, sweat and tears.

Guess who I blame......

The players are fighting for their careers - most of them know they're not good enough for the Premiership so what's the dividend for them in getting us promoted?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Of 22 home league games, only 6 have resulted in more than 1 Albion goal. Regardless of results/league position, that is an indication of a negative approach. Sorry to say it but Oscar is a bore. He hasn't had the finances for us to expect a play off finish but we should be getting more entertainment from home games. In fact we have become more boring as the season has progressed imho.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I haven't read all the threads ., but r mobs discussions lead to blaming the club / bloom for not backing the manager as well as blaming oscar for lack of enthusiasm . I watched the Burke video of how much time and effort goes into finding a player and they showed Leo Ulloa , how they went about it etc , so wot when so wrong with lita and obika who still don't get games even at Charlton . I just don't think the club want it this year . The one real person I want to hear from is bloom

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
For the first twenty-odd minutes yesterday it looked like Blackpool were the team in 6th and we were down the bottom of the table! They were stroking the ball around creating chances, and we seriously looked very average again.

The crowd in the North, where I was, really got behind the team for most of the game, as that was what the manager had asked for in his pre-match interviews. But the team really struggled again badly. Is the home atmosphere too intimidating for our own players?

If Blackpool had really gone for it in the first half, I think we would have been looking at another home loss, and our play-off chances shot to bits. But thanks to other teams also cocking-up, we still have a chance to get to them there play-offs, and who knows what will happen!

It's certainly never dull being an Albion fan! No mid-table mediocrity for us! :albion2:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Of 22 home league games, only 6 have resulted in more than 1 Albion goal. Regardless of results/league position, that is an indication of a negative approach. Sorry to say it but Oscar is a bore. He hasn't had the finances for us to expect a play off finish but we should be getting more entertainment from home games. In fact we have become more boring as the season has progressed imho.

Have to agree with you. Barcelona can play like this but we can't.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Blame the players. They shouldn't need to have someone get them up for a game at this stage of the season when they're in with a huge chance of making the play offs.

I've been thinking the same thing after the last couple of games. Let's be honest, the players are/were in with more than a huge chance of making the playoffs-it was completely in their hands with other results going kindly for them. Some are clearly not up to it-are they thinking 'I could be sent packing IF we get promoted' rather than 'I could be sent packing if we DON'T get promoted'?

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
The players are fighting for their careers - most of them know they're not good enough for the Premiership so what's the dividend for them in getting us promoted?

Unless someone from the club convinces me otherwise I have a feeling that this has to be a large part of the explanation for the lack of commitment yesterday. Come on someone prove me wrong by beating Yeovil by a large score and doing the business vs Forest - I shall be there to study the effort in the last performance of the season before the players take a 2 month holiday. As others have mentioned before why are the players not motivating each other on the pitch - v.worrying.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

At least 8 players out there yesterday not good enough for prem,why would they want to see themselves out of a job?!

Is it possible that they are maybe thinking they are better off playing for us in the championship than looking for a new club if we go up and don't offer a new contract?

I've been thinking the same thing after the last couple of games. Let's be honest, the players are/were in with more than a huge chance of making the playoffs-it was completely in their hands with other results going kindly for them. Some are clearly not up to it-are they thinking 'I could be sent packing IF we get promoted' rather than 'I could be sent packing if we DON'T get promoted'?

Unless someone from the club convinces me otherwise I have a feeling that this has to be a large part of the explanation for the lack of commitment yesterday. Come on someone prove me wrong by beating Yeovil by a large score and doing the business vs Forest - I shall be there to study the effort in the last performance of the season before the players take a 2 month holiday. As others have mentioned before why are the players not motivating each other on the pitch - v.worrying.

A lot of these players are out of contract anyway at the end of the season.
Are they not more likely to be offered a job, whether that is with us or a club of similar standing, if their CV says they have played in a promotion winning side the season before?
They would have to be mighty dumb if they are willingly and consciously not giving their all.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I thought we looked motivated yesterday, I just didn't think we looked very good. It was very much throw the kitchen sink at Blackpool towards the end, if anything I'd say the players allowed themselves to be panicked by the need to get a winner. Sadly we failed to get on the end of any of our crosses and not for the first time this season we once again ballooned a very presentable shooting opportunity over the bar.

I think the players have to take responsibility, this still remains a great opportunity for them and it is up to them to show that they are worthy of it.

Crofts and Barnes were both our top goalscorers when they became unavailable, Bridcutt was our player of the season the past two seasons- Although he may not have appeared to fit into Oscar's game plan he was still one of our most consistent performers. Bridge was a superior player to Ward despite having injury troubles this season. Having Vicente on the bench won us several points alone even though he was only fit for around 10 games. Orlandi has seriously struggled with his fitness for the past couple of months and he was one of our stand out players last season. I could go on but lets be honest Poyet had a bigger budget than Oscar and actually chose his own players. Oscar has had very little say on the players at his disposal and there is no doubt in my mind the squad, as a whole is weaker. Add the injuries into the mix and he has done a good job getting us anywhere near the finishing position of last season, I think last season was our missed opportunity and it's going to take us a little while to rebuild a squad capable of challenging for promotion from this division, in my opinion.

But Barnes didnt become "unavailable" - he was sold! If he was that vital why didnt Oscar put his foot down? The board have gone record saying the budget is bigger this season, presumably they mean wages. Yes we havent spent big fees but the fact is we had a striking pair available yesterday that cost us £5m in fees and maybe the board think that's good enough for Oscar to do the job?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
But Barnes didnt become "unavailable" - he was sold! If he was that vital why didnt Oscar put his foot down? The board have gone record saying the budget is bigger this season, presumably they mean wages. Yes we havent spent big fees but the fact is we had a striking pair available yesterday that cost us £5m in fees and maybe the board think that's good enough for Oscar to do the job?

I don't think Barnes was 'vital' but he was an alternative to Ulloa who has been very hit and miss this season. We sold Barnes and tried to get in Grabban, that would have been great business going by his record for Bournemouth but it didn't happen and we didn't sign a good enough replacement. I'm not blaming anyone as it wasn't worth rushing to waste the fee on a striker we weren't sure about, but the fact remains our options have been severely limited. As for the budget, Bridcutt, Bridge and Vicente had to be 3 of our highest earners so I'd be amazed if it was anywhere near what it was under Gus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here