Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would getting us promoted to the PL make Hughton our greatest ever manager?

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Being of a certain age Mullery taking us from the 3rd to the 1st Division will always make him No1 IMO. That is something that will not be repeated in my lifetime now! I had hoped that Gus would emulate that but he didn't. Therefore if CH takes us up and keeps us there he will be a worthy rival for best ever. When he takes us into Europe he will be, without doubt, the best ever Brighton manager!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Being of a certain age Mullery taking us from the 3rd to the 1st Division will always make him No1 IMO. That is something that will not be repeated in my lifetime now! I had hoped that Gus would emulate that but he didn't. Therefore if CH takes us up and keeps us there he will be a worthy rival for best ever. When he takes us into Europe he will be, without doubt, the best ever Brighton manager!

I was there too in the Mullery years. Unforgettable times with 30,000+ packed on terraces, 10,000 away at Newcastle, and top quality players.

But it's harder now with the disparity of money allowing rivals every year to try to buy their way to the PL, far in excess of the levels of subsidy even TB can provide.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I was there too in the Mullery years. Unforgettable times with 30,000+ packed on terraces, 10,000 away at Newcastle, and top quality players.

But it's harder now with the disparity of money allowing rivals every year to try to buy their way to the PL, far in excess of the levels of subsidy even TB can provide.
Agreed but until and when Chris takes us up and keeps us there Mullery remains my personal No1(for now). You're right, let's not bicker. Odd that they are both ex-Spurs. Just saying!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This is actually a very good question. I would still, at this point in time, tilt towards Mullery. His teams played with an unbelievable flair that I don't think you see in football at any level these days. But he did inherit a good team and made them better. Hughton has literally started his own team. He dragged us out of that nasty spot the Fin put us in. They have both got us in the top three twice. If Hughton gets us up, he has equalled Mullers record of 77/78 and 78/79. As someone posted however, he needs a couple of years with us at Prem level to get near Mullers. So for this reason, I will go for Mullers with Chris very much entrenched in second place... for now.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Overall: 1. Mullery
2. Hughton
3. Poyet
4 Saward
5 Lloyd

Single Achievement 1. Hughton (16-17 - assuming we go up)
2.Mullery (78-79)
3.Gritt (96-97)
4.Poyet (10-11)
5.Saward (71-72) In my opinion obviously

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
He is already ahead of Mullery imo. It is so much harder to get out of this division now. I am so pleased it looks like we have finally done it as I don't think I could stand having to do it all again, even though it has been an amazing journey in the last four seasons. The quality of the players in this league is light years ahead of what it was and the money spent trying to get out of it immense. We have been so near three times and now we may finally have done it without ever being one of the big spenders. Chris Hughton has done it with dignity, calmness and is very "simpatico" ( I don't think there is an English word that covers this?) as well as being a bloody good manager. He is a credit to the club, himself and the fans and in an era of managers being A1 Prima Donnas, he is a breath of fresh air.

Yes, he is the best imo, even if we haven't kicked a ball in the Premier League under him.

Excellent post.

The dignity he constantly displays disguises a little ball of thunder. He is my hero. And given that I am well into middle age, this is very puppy-eyed and juvenile. But I am very far from being embarrassed about this. He makes me proud of the club, of him and the squad. You can tell he has dedicated himself to Brighton. That sums it up. I would have him manage our club for the rest of his days or mine. We may go down or up but he respesents the club better than anyone ever has and the players love him. He has subtly but forthrightly built his squad with the help of Paul Winstanley into something pretty special. He could make our stadium look small.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Whether he is or isn't. In this day and age where football fans are so hard to please in terms of their Managers, it's just nice to see him get such positive comments from fans, appreciating the good work he has done

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Excellent post.

The dignity he constantly displays disguises a little ball of thunder. He is my hero. And given that I am well into middle age, this is very puppy-eyed and juvenile. But I am very far from being embarrassed about this. He makes me proud of the club, of him and the squad. You can tell he has dedicated himself to Brighton. That sums it up. I would have him manage our club for the rest of his days or mine. We may go down or up but he respesents the club better than anyone ever has and the players love him. He has subtly but forthrightly built his squad with the help of Paul Winstanley into something pretty special. He could make our stadium look small.

This. Very well put.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Don't forget, last season we would have all been happy to just consolidate and finish in a mid-table position after the Hyypia experience .

He is already ahead of Mullery imo. It is so much harder to get out of this division now. I am so pleased it looks like we have finally done it as I don't think I could stand having to do it all again, even though it has been an amazing journey in the last four seasons. The quality of the players in this league is light years ahead of what it was and the money spent trying to get out of it immense. We have been so near three times and now we may finally have done it without ever being one of the big spenders. Chris Hughton has done it with dignity, calmness and is very "simpatico" ( I don't think there is an English word that covers this?) as well as being a bloody good manager. He is a credit to the club, himself and the fans and in an era of managers being A1 Prima Donnas, he is a breath of fresh air.

Yes, he is the best imo, even if we haven't kicked a ball in the Premier League under him.

Screenshot from 2017-04-08 23-06-20.png

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't forget, last season we would have all been happy to just consolidate and finish in a mid-table position after the Hyypia experience .

View attachment 83776

Nah, nowhere near covers it....imo. Nice is an overused and not very expressive word. Likeable would be nearer but still wouldn't cover it.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Mullery still number one for me but Hughton is very , very close and will go on to bring further success over the coming seasons and cement his place as the best ever .

Dec 29, 2011
Football has changed though. I'm sure Bolton lost £35m in a season a couple of years ago and they still went down. Look at all the money Forest and Derby have spunked in recent years, money doesn't guarantee success

No it doesn't, but money spent in the correct way certainly goes a long way. The myth that we work with significantly less resources than other top teams has been around for years. I think it was Gus who started it actually but saying we had a mid-table budget, when the end of year accounts showed we were almost top 6 for salary spending. Compared to Huddersfield, Reading, Leeds, Fulham and Wednesday, how much more or less do you think we spend than them on salaries? Not very much I would imagine, we'd probably be 2nd on that list and they are the teams competing to be in the play-offs.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Can we (and the club) remember this thread if we are struggling next season. That will be a very different challenge. Whatever the results Hughton should not be sacked....

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We are NOT up yet... IF that happens, THEN Hughton can be considered alongside Mullers in my book...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
No it doesn't, but money spent in the correct way certainly goes a long way. The myth that we work with significantly less resources than other top teams has been around for years. I think it was Gus who started it actually but saying we had a mid-table budget, when the end of year accounts showed we were almost top 6 for salary spending. Compared to Huddersfield, Reading, Leeds, Fulham and Wednesday, how much more or less do you think we spend than them on salaries? Not very much I would imagine, we'd probably be 2nd on that list and they are the teams competing to be in the play-offs.

Wednesday have spent far more than us over the last few seasons. Maybe the others haven't but look at the likes of Derby, Villa, Norwich and Newcastle. The last three may have not lost that much money due to parachute payments but the cost of their squads is so much more than us. And we are above them all. It is an amazing achievement.

I wasn't alive when Mullery took us up so it is hard to compare him to Hughton for me. Hughton is definitely the best manager in my time already (since 1990) and will be a legend if (hopefully when) he takes us up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here