Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would Bloom ever sell the club?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was chatting to a couple of old boys at the Guildford Flames match on Sunday and both of them went to see The Tigers in West Street in the late 50s / early 60s. They were saying how the crowd used to sing 'Sussex By The Sea' before every match.

We did. My perfect weekend was Saturday afternoon at the Goldstone and Sunday night at SS Brighton. The big rivals were Wembley Lions.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
If Tony Bloom’s business took a terrible dive due to economic circumstances….. He would then have to put his family first and consider selling us. Having said that , I don’t think that is likely and neither should he consider a multi billion offer from a foreign source . We are happy as we are , thank you.
But as someone said earlier, why worry about it …. It may never happen.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No problem, TB could just adopt me in that case. Or in any other case really. I'm available.

To cement the official “Brighton are a Chelsea feeder club project”? No thanks :wink:

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Whilst I'm sure to get pelters for this, the only chance we've got of staying in this division long term, and challenging for anything, is if he does sell up.

This model of buying unknown players for relatively low fees, and selling them on for a profit, needs a lot of luck. Once Caicedo, and possibly MacAllister have been sold, we will be back to square one. Particularly, as GP took our best talent spotter with him.

Yes, TB has recouped a lot of his money, but that's not put back into established players.

It's a lovely dream to have a local man as chairman, but gradually sides are being bought up by owners who have significantly more money than Bloom, and are prepared to spend it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That’s not true though is it? Ajax and Villareal have been operating like this for donkey years and are by no means the only ones. Yes they have there ups and downs but on the whole it’s a very successful formula. It’s nothing new and it is sustainable. Plus with the ups and downs it’s endlessly exciting!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Still remember Barber doing an interview where he recalled the time he asked Bloom of his exit strategy. He pointed at a photo of his son.

He's going absolutely nowhere.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
He stated the next Chairman will be his son

Lovely idea, sons are often very different to their fathers.

My sone will get everything one day but I'm not sure he's the best custodian for a few things, at least he wouldn't want the hassle of them!

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Not sure if he has ever said he will pass on ownership to his son, but I definitely heard him say when asked recently that it was something he couldn't answer at the moment and that his son may not even want it.

Stumpy Tim

This model of buying unknown players for relatively low fees, and selling them on for a profit, needs a lot of luck. Once Caicedo, and possibly MacAllister have been sold, we will be back to square one. Particularly, as GP took our best talent spotter with him.

Using central midfield as an example, the club have already earmarked Kozłowski, Mwepu, Alzate and Gilmour as potential replacements... and none of us really know how good the midfielders in the U21's are. On top of that, Tony's database of players will continue to unearth players

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whilst I'm sure to get pelters for this, the only chance we've got of staying in this division long term, and challenging for anything, is if he does sell up.

Yes, TB has recouped a lot of his money, but that's not put back into established players.

It's a lovely dream to have a local man as chairman, but gradually sides are being bought up by owners who have significantly more money than Bloom, and are prepared to spend it.

Don’t agree. There is an element of luck, but much of that is eliminated with good analysis/scouting, a cohesive strategy, top-level coaching and facilities and an ability to negotiate deals with a wide variety of third parties - staying ahead of clubs that don’t have the same level of business acumen, and our leaders are getting increasingly better at what they do. Losing one ‘talent spotter’ (not even sure he was - no way Ashworth spent his days watching hundreds of videos of South American league football for example) doesn’t affect that direction, plan, strategy or infrastructure, and neither does even losing a manager and most of the coaching team as we’ve just seen. The EPL has a cohort of rich but clueless owners who will continue to screw things up despite chucking tons of cash at the clubs in a haphazard manner - and we’ll mostly stay ahead of them.

Our model is increasingly becoming recognised as the way to go - blindingly obvious Newcastle and Chelsea at least have been carefully watching what we do.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If in ten years time his son is not keen and a big USA investor comes in promising wealth beyond our dreams I think he would sell for the best of the club. A job well done.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He’s still only young really and assuming his wealth continues to grow as it has done , with the setup we have with Barber as Vice Chairman he can be as hands on / hands off as he likes

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He’s still only young really and assuming his wealth continues to grow as it has done , with the setup we have with Barber as Vice Chairman he can be as hands on / hands off as he likes

Based on recent experience, whether his his wealth grows or not is actually no longer an issue (in terms of needing to pump yet more cash in every year to cover losses) because Tony’s strategy of making the club sustainable long term is evidently working - imagine we’ll be showing a healthy profit in the next set of accounts due to player sales supplementing TV and other revenue, and I don’t see that changing in the future as the scouting and academy conveyor belt continues to pump out talent at a ridiculous rate.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Based on recent experience, whether his his wealth grows or not is actually no longer an issue (in terms of needing to pump yet more cash in every year to cover losses) because Tony’s strategy of making the club sustainable long term is evidently working - imagine we’ll be showing a healthy profit in the next set of accounts due to player sales supplementing TV and other revenue, and I don’t see that changing in the future as the scouting and academy conveyor belt continues to pump out talent at a ridiculous rate.

Yep agreed. Will be interesting to know if it is sustainable on the pitch though and can be repeated over a period of time. The challenge is if we can reliably push to be regular top 10s or even Europe that takes even more investment, wages go up etc

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If Tony wanted a little project in his retirement then maybe an ice rink and a return of the Brighton Tigers ice hockey team to the city would be a brilliant thing and achievable with - by his standards - pocket money.

Indeed, I think he has created a brand of club that it would be great to see rolled out in another sport. A Brighton and Hove Albion women's Netball team would be brilliant too. Continental football clubs have had success with basketball, while Saracens here have a very successful netball side.

This, I would love to see the Brighton Tigers back, thanks to the war we had Canadians and Americans in our line up back in the day, one of the best teams in the world at the time. great colours as well...

Attachments

• old-brighton-tigers-ice-hockey-team-knitted-jersey-from-the-1960s-BX32M6.jpg
    old-brighton-tigers-ice-hockey-team-knitted-jersey-from-the-1960s-BX32M6.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 117

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I took over my parents business and have to say made a few quid. Next year I'm looking forwards to retirement and taking a back seat so the next generation can take over. The business earns enough to give them a good income but if they sell they could earn 5 years income in one day. I've kept hold of the property so they cant sell. In the same way isn't the ground set up so that the family cant sell it?

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014

what a load of drivel , total nonsense

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Disagree, they can only buy something that's for sale. With his wealth and love of the club you're very unlikely to ba bale to make an offer he can't refuse.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Disagree, they can only buy something that's for sale. With his wealth and love of the club you're very unlikely to ba bale to make an offer he can't refuse.

Not saying he will sell up, but as we have seen with player sales, if the price is right…..I keep being told that first and foremost he’s a businessman so I wouldn’t dismiss the possibility of a sale.

It would be a sad day though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here