Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Worthing - officially the best British seaside town to move to in 2023

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"Chances are, you’ve considered ditching the city for life by the sea. One thing holding you back might be the summer crowds that swarm to places like Brighton and Blackpool, but there are some gorgeous seaside destinations that are lesser known (and all the more peaceful for it).

Among them is Worthing in West Sussex, which has just been named the best seaside town to move to in 2023 by lifestyle website Muddy Stilettos. Just ten miles west of Brighton, it seems Worthing may well be giving the UK’s favourite coastal hotspot a run for its money."

Not sure I can see quite how it is official...

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Really?

And that's despite the Council's sterling efforts to make the town as unattractive and inaccessible as possible.

Roadworks and temp traffic lights all over the show. Holes being dug in pavements all over town and left for weeks. Numerous derelict town centre buildings. High parking charges. Unrepaired roads and pavements. Crap bus services.

The town has become a depressing mess.

If I didn't live and work in Worthing, it certainly wouldn't be a place I would move to.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Worthing has def improved a lot since I first arrived in Sussex but it’s not a patch on living in the nice parts of Hove & Brighton. It doesn’t have the culture or cafe society to the same extent .
It depends what you're looking for, surely? If you are looking for culture or cafe society then Brighton is indeed streets ahead. If you want a bit more space and like being able to get out of town in your car within half an hour, perhaps Brighton isn't for you. Personally I favour Eastbourne over Worthing but would be happy enough living in Brighton, Hove, Worthing or Eastbourne quite frankly - they all offer something a good standard of living but all have detractions.

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing has def improved a lot since I first arrived in Sussex but it’s not a patch on living in the nice parts of Hove & Brighton. It doesn’t have the culture or cafe society to the same extent .
Have you been down Warwick Street recently? Can't move for cafes down there. Loads of other small cafes around the town, Flour Pot have two locations in Worthing with rumours of another soon.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
We moved from Brighton back to Worthing almost two years ago now. It's much better here than it was when I was growing up here.

My only complaint is a (relative to Brighton) dearth of pubs outside of the town centre. There's a few near us in Broadwater and Tarring but I'm struggling to think of any outside of those three "hotspots". Brighton feels like there's a pub on every corner.

But! That's a small price to pay for a house with a garden and a much quieter life.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I think anywhere in Sussex on the coast is great to move to.
All Sussex seaside towns have their grotty side.
The likes of Bexhill, Eastbourne, Littlehampton, Worthing, Seaford etc have always been a magnet for the coffin dodgers of this world, but now an attraction for the young, bringing an agreeable balance.
All IMO of course :)

Bexhill does have a decent cafe culture...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It ain’t that great, takes me bloody ages to negotiate from west of Worthing to get through on a matchday! So much traffic going through it.

I live just outside and think it’s still a bit of a shithole, but I don’t really mind that :shrug:

I guess it depends on where you are comparing it to.

They are doing their best to drag it back down with planning applications for houses in every green space around it too :angry:

Last edited:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Really?

And that's despite the Council's sterling efforts to make the town as unattractive and inaccessible as possible.

Roadworks and temp traffic lights all over the show. Holes being dug in pavements all over town and left for weeks. Numerous derelict town centre buildings. High parking charges. Unrepaired roads and pavements. Crap bus services.

If I didn't live and work in Worthing, it certainly wouldn't be a place I would move to.
I know it doesn't make any difference to the person experiencing it but the local council can't stop utility companies working on the road and potholes are West Sussex County Council's responsibility and I believe are a problem all round the county.

Derelict buildings are partially the Council's responsibility but they did hold a housing conference to try and encourage developers.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Really?

Well l would move there like a shot if only l were able.

The missus and l always said, that once we retired we would love to move into a bungalow near the sea. We have always liked Worthing, and the area just just west of the town. Goring, Ferring, East Preston etc.

Just one problem, have you seen the prices of property there? bungalows especially.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
We moved from Brighton back to Worthing almost two years ago now. It's much better here than it was when I was growing up here.

My only complaint is a (relative to Brighton) dearth of pubs outside of the town centre. There's a few near us in Broadwater and Tarring but I'm struggling to think of any outside of those three "hotspots". Brighton feels like there's a pub on every corner.

But! That's a small price to pay for a house with a garden and a much quieter life.
It depends where you live in Worthing but it has got better with micro pubs and cafes that turn into pubs in the evening springing up in the last few years.

That said if you live in Durrington you have lost the Maple Leaf and Trout meaning there isn't much between the Swallows Return and Park View and there is quite a large gap between the micro pubs on Goring Road and Charles Dickens.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Worthing is Great. Loads of decent restaurants and The Dome Cinema

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I know it doesn't make any difference to the person experiencing it but the local council can't stop utility companies working on the road and potholes are West Sussex County Council's responsibility and I believe are a problem all round the county.

Derelict buildings are partially the Council's responsibility but they did hold a housing conference to try and encourage developers.
Many of those problems can be experienced all over the country, not just in West Sussex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here