Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst regional accent

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Having lived away for a long time, i met some people from East Grinsted/Forrest Row recently out of context and it was funny to hear a strong (north) sussex accent as an outsider.

We sound a bit daft :)

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Glaswegian - can never understand a word they are saying.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

There's no such thing as a Welsh accent - it's as daft as saying you dislike an English accent.

The Cardiff and Caernarfon accents (say) are as distinct as Geordie and Brummie. It's the same as Scottish accents: I have friends from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee and Inverness and the all sound totally different.

Personally, I don't dislike any regional accents, I like the fact that a small country like ours has such a diverse range in the way we speak. I think it would dreadful if we all spoke in a homogenised tone

Northern Ireland has to be one of the worst ... but I like the "proper" Irish accent.
And, of the various versions of Northern Irish, I'd point to the Fermanagh accent as being the most impenetrable. Whenever I've been there, I've found it necessary to respond to all attempts at conversation by saying, simply, "Really?" That covers most situations.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
ocker Australian does my head in as it is clearly an affection and put on to be more Aussie than drinking a can of VB in a singlet and stubbies while knocking the wife about and hating immigrants.

A friend of mine affects a kind of posh English accent when she talks to me for a bit. Reverting back to her private school upbringing, it always makes me laugh as she can't go back to normal and ends up sounding like a posh English bird doing a crap impression of an Aussie.

There's no such thing as a Welsh accent - it's as daft as saying you dislike an English accent.

The Cardiff and Caernarfon accents (say) are as distinct as Geordie and Brummie.

Even the Scots recognise that they talk funny in Cairdiff.

http://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairdiff

Cairdiff (Inglis: Cardiff, Welsh: Caerdydd) is the caipital an lairgest ceety o Wales, an the kintra's commercial centre. Gaun by the 2001 Census data, Cairdiff wis the 14t lairgest settlement in the Unitit Kinrick, and the 21st lairgest urban area. Houaniver recent local govrenment estimates pit the nummer o indwallers o the unitary authority as 317,500. The ceety o Cairdiff is the coonty toun o the historic coonty o Glamorgan (an later Sooth Glamorgan). Cairdiff is pairt o the Euroceeties netwark o the lairgest European ceeties. Cairdiff Urban Area kivers a bittie mair grund, includin Dinas Powys, Penarth an Radyr.

Cairdiff is the hame o the Naitional Assembly for Wales in Cairdiff Bay an muckle o the media in Wales. Doctor Who an Torchwood alang wi ither televeesion series is filmed maistly athin the Ceety an Coonty o Cairdiff. It haes the biggest media sector in the UK ootwi Lunnon, bein hame tae a nummer o televeesion studios an radio stations.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

The Cardiff and Caernarfon accents (say) are as distinct as Geordie and Brummie. It's the same as Scottish accents: I have friends from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee and Inverness and the all sound totally different.

Personally, I don't dislike any regional accents, I like the fact that a small country like ours has such a diverse range in the way we speak. I think it would dreadful if we all spoke in a homogenised tone

Nope welsh, it's all gobblydeegook

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I disagree. If you cannot differentiate between accents then you have to generalize. People often refer to my accent as "English". I can rarely distinguish between North American accents so refer to them as North American. Plenty of Aussie accents in London; is it daft?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Glaswegian - can never understand a word they are saying.

Beaten by people from Aberdeen. Also Dundonians are very hard to understand.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A man goes into a Black Country vintage clothing shop wanting a 70s suit for a fancy dress party. He tries on a nice flared suit and a big collared brown shirt. The shop owner says "would you like a kipper tie?" "Thanks. Two sugars plaaayz" is the reply.

There's a guy fishing in a Birmingham canal and a passer by asks if he's caught anything.
"Yes mate I caught a whale"

"You caught a whale, what did you do with it "?

"I threw it back, it had no tyre on it "

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

All welsh accents make me cringe.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Scousers.

Bristol.

Black Country.

Imagine some of history's great speeches being delivered with these accents. And yes, I know, that's massively snobbish :)

Quick mention for Northern Ireland too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here