Worst Pub in Brighton and Hove.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The Hare & Hound on Preston Circus has to be one of the shittest pubs around. One of the few pubs I know that was total pit, closed down for improvements and bizarrely opened up again as an even worse shit hole. Quite an achievement.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Yep not much going for it.

Not much wrong with this place. A typical old Brighton street corner pub that hasn't been taken over by students, isn't all bare wood and doesn't rip you off with the pricing. A place to go for a quiet couple of pints and read the paper.
It was far worse in the mid seventies when it was a Charrington pub run by the couple of old alcoholics with the mynah bird.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
A pub in Woodingdean was about the roughest I knew, it got shut down from what I remember there was always trouble in there. I think a gang of blokes from Whitehawk went up there once and smashed it up, can't remember the name of it.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Not much wrong with this place. A typical old Brighton street corner pub that hasn't been taken over by students, isn't all bare wood and doesn't rip you off with the pricing. A place to go for a quiet couple of pints and read the paper.
It was far worse in the mid seventies when it was a Charrington pub run by the couple of old alcoholics with the mynah bird.

This is the Mitre we're talking about

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Is there any worse than the "Whistle Stop" on Boundary Road. £4.10 for a pint of Stella!! It's not as if i'm paying for the ambiance or the fit bird behind the jump to look at.

£4.10 in that Karzi......... I'm still shaking my head in disbelief

Your wrong ! The Whistlestop is in Station Road, NOT Boundary Road. You are right it is a dump - further down Station Road "The Blue Anchor" is not much better and the Battle Of Trafalgar forms the Holy Trinity. :lolol:

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
A pub in Woodingdean was about the roughest I knew, it got shut down from what I remember there was always trouble in there. I think a gang of blokes from Whitehawk went up there once and smashed it up, can't remember the name of it.

The Toby - I think you can now hire it out for "special" functions !

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Used to drink in The Grenadier when younger, bloke in there told me he pissed on his play station because he kept losing the game, nice bloke he was.....not benn in there for ages but it wasn't the best of places a few years back...

It's still dire - any pub that needs TWO doorman, at LUNCHTIME, during the week has something wrong with it !

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Truthspeak. Does anyone know anyone that's ever been in there?

There is a lezza bar down a side street from St James towards Edward St. They have lunchtime Karaoke and people still smoke in there. It's got a big open window front and when you walk past say at 3pm on a Wednesday there is a really bad drag queen crooning away through the smoke against a tinsel backdrop curtain. Class.

The Queens Arms in George St. ????

Sadly, this may be the guy behind the very drag act you're talking about.......... :down:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1063...as_just_months_to_live_after_contracting_CJD/

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
If this had been a few months back, I would have mentioned the Rose Hill Tavern that I used to go to lunchtimes when I worked in London Road for a few years, it was truly a dingy back street hovel, but..... I revisited out of curiosity recently, its gone all 'local comfy boozer'......... I really liked it.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Horatios Bar on the Palace Pier
Back in the 80's this was the place to be on a Sunday evening in the summer, live band, reasonable beer. Havnt been since then though.

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Your wrong ! The Whistlestop is in Station Road, NOT Boundary Road. You are right it is a dump - further down Station Road "The Blue Anchor" is not much better and the Battle Of Trafalgar forms the Holy Trinity. :lolol:

Visited "The Blue Anchor" last week for a Bar Billiards match. Was one of the nicest pubs I have been in for a while. Really well done up, plenty of beer choice and friendly bar staff. 1 cracking feature is the front of a VW Camper over the pool table with the headlights providing the lighting.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
If this had been a few months back, I would have mentioned the Rose Hill Tavern that I used to go to lunchtimes when I worked in London Road for a few years, it was truly a dingy back street hovel, but..... I revisited out of curiosity recently, its gone all 'local comfy boozer'......... I really liked it.

Now shut.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Visited "The Blue Anchor" last week for a Bar Billiards match. Was one of the nicest pubs I have been in for a while. Really well done up, plenty of beer choice and friendly bar staff. 1 cracking feature is the front of a VW Camper over the pool table with the headlights providing the lighting.

Likewise. I was there with the Montreal team. A really nice pub.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports