Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst England Manager

Worst England Manager out of these three goons..

• Graham Taylor

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Kevin Keegan

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Steve McLaren

Votes: 66 80.5%

• Total voters

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
In celebration of the Impossible Job being shown last night on ITV4 and again tomorrow at 9PM, incase you missed it, just who was the worst out of these three...

My vote goes to Steve McLaren, the man was simply clueless and while we got close to qualifying we were miles off the pace with such poor displays as the 0-0 with Macedonia and then the Croatia game, which despite being 3-2, could have been a walkover for them.

Kev was Kev, totally out of his depth but Phil Neville didn't help his cause. At least Kev and Graham Taylor qualified for something, although watching the show last night and seeing CARLTON PALMER and ANDY SINTON playing for England during his era makes it a close run thing.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
In celebration of the Impossible Job being shown last night on ITV4 and again tomorrow at 9PM, incase you missed it, just who was the worst out of these three...

My vote goes to Steve McLaren, the man was simply clueless and while we got close to qualifying we were miles off the pace with such poor displays as the 0-0 with Macedonia and then the Croatia game, which despite being 3-2, could have been a walkover for them.

Kev was Kev, totally out of his depth but Phil Neville didn't help his cause. At least Kev and Graham Taylor qualified for something, although watching the show last night and seeing CARLTON PALMER and ANDY SINTON playing for England during his era makes it a close run thing.

I have met Graham Taylor and he was a very friendly, genuine football person and also had a lot of time to talk to fans.

I have to say I cringed everytime Palmer was picked, he was absolutely awful.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I have met Graham Taylor and he was a very friendly, genuine football person and also had a lot of time to talk to fans.

I have to say I cringed everytime Palmer was picked, he was absolutely awful.

Watching the documentary, Taylor as a person came over quite well I thought.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
I was too young for Graham Taylor, but surely no one can beat McClown. I've heard he's a wanker as a person too.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The funny thing about those choices is that they were all excellent club managers, Taylor with Watford, McClaren with Boro and Keegan with....OK, maybe not all of them...but at international level, Taylor sometimes got his selection wrong, Keegan was tactically inept and McClaren really shouldn't have been given the job in the first place...other than that it is a really hard choice...but I went for McClaren, he had better players available to select than the other two, but miraculously squandered the opportunity.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Mcclown hands down

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Taylor's choice of players was questionable, but the quality he had to pick from, exclusing Gazza, was nothing like as good as McClown.

I agree. Thats the one saving grace for Taylor, the players he had to choose from weren't very good!!

Oh and that documentary that was aired "Do I Not Like That" showed that he really cared about the team, he may not have been that good but he put everything he had into it. McClaren didn't look like he ever gave a shit.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No mention of Don Revie? He was OUTSTANDING as a club manager, far more so than Keegan, McClaren or Taylor, but he was an utter failure as England boss - and he had good players.

Stumpy Tim

The funny thing about those choices is that they were all excellent club managers, Taylor with Watford, McClaren with Boro and Keegan with....OK, maybe not all of them....

What the f***??? Keegan was excellent with Newcastle. Took them from the bottom of Division 1 to the top of the Premier League. He may have had some money, but Asprilla apart most of his signings worked very well. The RUDDY faced clown on the other hand was awful at Boro, and even had fans throwing season tickets in his face.

Keegan was the best of those three managers for England, and even had the honour to step aside when he knew he wasn't good enough. The man's a legend.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
McClown, next question?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The funny thing about those choices is that they were all excellent club managers, Taylor with Watford, McClaren with Boro and Keegan with....OK, maybe not all of them...QUOTE]

how can you describe McLaren as being excellent with Boro and then say Keegan did poorly with Newcastle? how does that even begin to make sense?

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
clown.gif

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
No no no... none of them come close.... Don Revie by a country mile! He had a fantastic team and did bugger all with them and qualified for nothing... then buggered off.

In fact Howard Wilkinson and Peter Taylor have the worst records.

England's Coaches/Managers in Chronological Order

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Taylor really did not have much to pick from and was very unlucky with things that happpened against him on and off the pitch. I agree that he does come over as a nice bloke.

Keegan is a nice bloke too but I'm sorry, he is not and has never been management material.... and before anyone reminds me of " The Glory Days " at Newcastle..remember they leaked goals like a sieve and had the bonus of having two good wingers and a star centre forward but tactics... ? whats that ? It was all " bomb forward and score goals"

Its defffo Mclaren, he never had a clue and I don't think the players ever respected him

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Taylor. He took a team that had finished 4th at the 1990 World Cup to going out of Euro 92 in the first round and not qualifying for USA 94. To say he did not have the players to pick from is rubbish. He had players of the ilk of Gazza, Waddle, Lineker, Beardsley, Robson, Platt, Mark Wright, Des Walker, Shearer, Sheringham and Stuart Pearce.

Yet this was the manager that dropped Gazza and picked Gordon Cowans for a qualifier in Dublin. He refused for long periods to pick Waddle or Beardsley, prefering Brian Dean, David Hurst, Carlton Palmer and Andy Sinton.

He was truely awful.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Taylor. He took a team that had finished 4th at the 1990 World Cup to going out of Euro 92 in the first round and not qualifying for USA 94. To say he did not have the players to pick from is rubbish. He had players of the ilk of Gazza, Waddle, Lineker, Beardsley, Robson, Platt, Mark Wright, Des Walker, Shearer, Sheringham and Stuart Pearce.

Yet this was the manager that dropped Gazza and picked Gordon Cowans for a qualifier in Dublin. He refused for long periods to pick Waddle or Beardsley, prefering Brian Dean, David Hurst, Carlton Palmer and Andy Sinton.

He was truely awful.

I think you will find he had inherited an ageing team and tried to bring youth in. Its just that there was not much about that was any good at the time . A brief rundown of the names you mentioned..

Gazza .....26 but suffered from a string of injuries at that time.
Waddle....32
Lineker.....32 moved to Grampus 8 in '92.. a touch of Beckhamesque jet lag ?
Beardlsey...31
Robson......36
Platt.......26
Wright .....30
Walker..... 28 but was playing in Italy, often out of position, confidence shot
Shearer 23.... played intermittently due to injuries
Sherringham...27 1st cap in 1993
Pearce.....31

as you can see, a good balance of er, old age and injured youngsters !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here