Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst end of career signings?

Leosayer

Aug 25, 2011
Kent
We've had quite a few 'big names' at the end of their careers a few worked out most didn't - do you think we should get an experienced old hand?

I can think of a few soem worked some didn't

Martin Chivers
Frank Worthington
Willie Young
Sammy Nelson
Joe Corrigan
Phil Beal
Joe Kinnear
Dennis Mortimer
Clive Walker

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bearing in mind, we wasted our entire budget on one player, my vote goes to ..............

Paul Kitson.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Would you include Kitchenchef and Tanno. Both top value.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Sorry BOF must read properly. :facepalm:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's a harsh list: I thought Worthington, Corrigan, Beal, Waker, Nelson and Mortimer did all right for us.

Spot on about Kinnear though - I remember a performance against Millwall that was the single worst by an Albion player (and I've seen Ashley Neal and Richard Tiltman).

I go along with Stapleton as one of the worst, a shadow of his former self.

As for others, how about Alan Young or Gerry Armstrong?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
We've had quite a few 'big names' at the end of their careers a few worked out most didn't - do you think we should get an experienced old hand?

I can think of a few soem worked some didn't

Martin Chivers
Frank Worthington
Willie Young
Sammy Nelson
Joe Corrigan
Phil Beal
Joe Kinnear
Dennis Mortimer
Clive Walker

Not sure how many of the above you saw play but none of them were bad signings, on the other hand Justin Fashinu and Paul Kitson were.

Leosayer

Aug 25, 2011
Kent
Actually I used to enjoy watching Frank worthington didn't run much but you could see the class he had.
Corrigan, nelson and walker didn't do badly either but Martin Chivers was completely past it
Mick ferguson was another bad one.

Tiltman I remember him - he had one of the most pathetic attempts at a shot I've ever seen. I remember Kieran o'regan holding his sides laughing when it happened - any idea who we were playing?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Paul "sick note" Kitson - THE worst, no competition.
Kitson was MUCH better for us than some are giving him credit for. The problem, if I recall, was that he got injured (long term) as soon as we signed him. However, once he recovered we actually got some good games out of him. I remember him being the best player on the pitch at Reading when we beat them 2-1 in the Championship, for example.

Jason Dodd, however, was a truly gash signing. Here for a final pay packet, I saw nothing in him that didn't make me wonder why we weren't just blooding a youngster. He was no Guy Butters.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Kitson was MUCH better for us than some are giving him credit for. The problem, if I recall, was that he got injured (long term) as soon as we signed him. However, once he recovered we actually got some good games out of him. I remember him being the best player on the pitch at Reading when we beat them 2-1 in the Championship, for example.

This. When he played,, you could see that Kitson had a bit of class - he was injured for a long time but I don't think that makes him our worst signing. Incidentally, if we'd have had this question at the end of that season, Butters would have been mentioned a lot - how things can change.

Absolutely him, I could never fathom out why we got him in, a truly dreadful old git.

I didn't count him as I never rated him much as a player in the first place - let alone when he was at the fag-end of his career.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here