Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Albion signing EVER

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sorry Gwylan but Farrington was absolute gash. I always thought the fee was £100k, not £60k and it was a lot of money to us at the time. We never bought anyone back then.

But worse signing ever? No chance. Mickey Thomas for me I think. Turienzo was a shit signing too.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Peter Ward and Gary Hart. Non league dead beats.

But Graeme Smith............hellfire.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Richard Tiltman.

I remember Barry Lloyd stating at the time that he was better than Dean Saunders!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Even as possibly not Barry Lloyds biggest fan I have to defend the great man here, he never said anything of the kind publicy or privately.

Brian Bedson (then Albion chairman) and co basically told Baz Saunders could not play in certain games because of his contract demands, ie appearence money, nothng to do with footballing ability.

As for worst ever Albion signings, going back Micky Thomas and Fash the bash takes some beating, as does the betamax Argie, but Davies is probably the pick of recent years.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Sorry Gwylan but Farrington was absolute gash. I always thought the fee was £100k, not £60k and it was a lot of money to us at the time. We never bought anyone back then.

But worse signing ever? No chance. Mickey Thomas for me I think. Turienzo was a shit signing too.

Farrington was £100,000, do doubt about it. Still, hardly his fault he was injured for so long.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Farrington was £100,000, do doubt about it. Still, hardly his fault he was injured for so long.

Not according to Tim Carder's book he wasn't. It says £60,000 and I trust Tim's research above NSC.

I'm not saying that Farrington was a good signing, he clearly wasn't. But he was a long, long way from being the worst. It's hard to judge someone with injury problems.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
To start us off

Mark Farrington. £100,000 from Feynoord. replacement for John Byrne. Whoever scouted this guy needed their head examined.

Farrington was signed as a replacement for Mike Small.. John Byrne was still here for several months after Farrington and his fickle groin signed for us.

Aldridge Prior

Aug 3, 2010
Not according to Tim Carder's book he wasn't. It says £60,000 and I trust Tim's research above NSC.

I'm not saying that Farrington was a good signing, he clearly wasn't. But he was a long, long way from being the worst. It's hard to judge someone with injury problems.
It was £100,000.

Well, the club paid £60k and then Barry Lloyd came to me for a loan of £40k. He asked for it in the pub and they still owe me for it.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Farrington was 60k... We had to pay another 40k after so many appearances and he was told that he wouldn't play another game as we didn't want to pay the extra 40k when he was one game short.... Apparently he went mental !!

As for why there is a myth, didn't Barry Lloyd say something about him being technically brilliant when we signed him... Think that probably got peoples hopes up !!!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Richard Tiltman.

I remember Barry Lloyd stating at the time that he was better than Dean Saunders!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Even as possibly not Barry Lloyds biggest fan I have to defend the great man here, he never said anything of the kind publicy or privately.

Brian Bedson (then Albion chairman) and co basically told Baz Saunders could not play in certain games because of his contract demands, ie appearence money, nothng to do with footballing ability.

As for worst ever Albion signings, going back Micky Thomas and Fash the bash takes some beating, as does the betamax Argie, but Davies is probably the pick of recent years.

Im sorry Harty but I was going to respond to Daffy prior to reading your post that I too recall the great man saying this, I really do. I was a 13 yrd old at the time whose biggest hero was Dean Saunders and when he left, it felt just like the time Vince Clarke had left Depeche Mode but then Baz said those words and I felt consoled for about 3 games before I realised Tiltman was gash.

Either that or I am one of 55% of our nation who apparently fondly remember events which never took place....

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Im sorry Harty but I was going to respond to Daffy prior to reading your post that I too recall the great man saying this, I really do. I was a 13 yrd old at the time whose biggest hero was Dean Saunders and when he left, it felt just like the time Vince Clarke had left Depeche Mode but then Baz said those words and I felt consoled for about 3 games before I realised Tiltman was gash.

Either that or I am one of 55% of our nation who apparently fondly remember events which never took place....

60% of people questioned in a survey in Times Square New York didn't know where Iraq was:laugh:

If you can find the quote from Baz back in 1987 I will donate £20 to the REMF.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A year's substantial wages for JASON DODD, represents absolutely our worse signing of recent times.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

60% of people questioned in a survey in Tines Square New York didn't know where Iraq was:laugh:

If you can find the quote from Baz back in 1987 I will donate £20 to the REMF.

Deal, I will start my search now.

I understand though that 70% of people questioned in a survey in Times Square New York didnt know where Iraq was, those Tines Square people you talk of were more (?) intelligent :laugh:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex

I understand though that 70% of people questioned in a survey in Times Square New York didnt know where Iraq was, those Tines Square people you talk of were more (?) intelligent :laugh:

Early morning typo, changed forthwith:laugh:

It was you slagging Baz off it go me all a quiver...........

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

Early morning typo, changed forthwith:laugh:

It was you slagging Baz off it go me all a quiver...........

I must point out though Harty that my slagging of Baz only relates to this. It needs reiterating to all the uneducated on this forum and those not old enough to remember, this man gave us so many great memories on a foundation of sand, gotsmanov, small, byrne, crumplin, anfield, wembley, playoffs and this is just a small sample of my (factual) memories.

cup of tea & a slice of cake should sort you out for your elevenses Harty.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
In terms of pure footballing ability I've never seen anyone worse than Damien Hilton or Ashley Neale.

If you're talking in terms of value for money from players I've seen it's Turienzo.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
In terms of pure footballing ability I've never seen anyone worse than Damien Hilton or Ashley Neale.

If you're talking in terms of value for money from players I've seen it's Turienzo.

Damien Hilton is a great shout, he sums up the bad old days of Pissfield

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here