Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] World Mental Health Day

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One of the bits of NSC I feel most proud of over the last few years, is the communal support shown for those who have been suffering with mental health issues.

A large part of our community is "men of a certain age" and life can be tough in many different ways and, despite the petty squabbles that can happen here, they have always been set aside when someone has made an appeal for help.

The video below from Norwich City is a powerful watch - kudos to them for putting this out today.

How is everyone doing?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't get that at all.

Can someone explain?
That although someone may appear to be OK, they could be struggling.

So ask someone how they're getting on - don't wait for them to tell you.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
That although someone may appear to be OK, they could be struggling.

So ask someone how they're getting on - don't wait for them to tell you.
So was the guy on the right the one who was struggling?

Now I'm more confused because the guy on the left showed no reaction to the action on the pitch but he was ok?

It seems I might be the target audience for this video but I must be missing something.

Apologies if I'm being thick.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I don't get that at all.

Can someone explain?
In essence, it also shows how traditionally our society has conditioned boys to become 'real' men that should always 'put on a brave face'. Big boys don't cry remember.

Well bollox to all that!, and thankfully our society and attitudes are changing in so many ways for the better. Mental health awareness and speaking up is one of those.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
My goodness, that's a good video. It got me thinking.

It made me think about me, and not my son. He's 24, and has had anxiety and depression for years. Once he gets into his funk, has can stay in bed for days. Obviously there is no chance of keeping a job, or a girlfriend. It must have had a deep effect on my wife and myself. She went to the Rock Clinic for a while. But I see my job as to just get on with it.

This week, for three days running, we have taken him out to cycle paths in the country, so that he can go on his electric longboard. That works wonders for him. I missed the Liverpool game as a result. But I didn't mind really. Well, not that much anyway. What is more important? Football, or your son's mental health? Tonight, he is out at nin-jitsu. This has been the best week for a long time. He is in a good place. Thanks for reading this.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

Now I'm more confused because the guy on the left showed no reaction to the action on the pitch but he was ok?

It seems I might be the target audience for this video but I must be missing something.

Yeah he was okay. I mean, he was watching Norwich. How much reaction can you expect?

The point is that even people that strike you as being happy and cheerful, full of life, can be hiding deep, deep problems. Don't assume because somebody isn't sitting around looking glum that they must be okay.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Genuinely hugely good video from Norwich that, outstanding

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Ok, I've watched it again and I think I initially missed the opening subtitle but for me it really doesn't work.

I think as I have zero emotional feeling and empathy etc. it has gone way over my head.

I'm genuinely glad others are getting it.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Yeah he was okay. I mean, he was watching Norwich. How much reaction can you expect?

The point is that even people that strike you as being happy and cheerful, full of life, can be hiding deep, deep problems. Don't assume because somebody isn't sitting around looking glum that they must be okay.
Thanks and lol at the bolded bit.

To me it's too cryptic, hidden messages etc.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I've been lucky to work with Elliott Rae recently on bringing conversation about men's mental health into my work, crossing over into fatherhood and parenting and football too. Thoroughly recommend listening to everything he appears on https://musicfootballfatherhood.com/

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Ok, I've watched it again and I think I initially missed the opening subtitle but for me it really doesn't work.

I think as I have zero emotional feeling and empathy etc. it has gone way over my head.

I'm genuinely glad others are getting it.
The guy who is all happy and cheery is ultimately the one who kills himself (that’s that the video is purporting anyway)

It’s a surprise as the whole way through the viewer is thinking it was the more boring / miserable bloke who would be the one not around at the end of the video.

The message is that mental health is hidden, it’s not like a broken arm, where you can see it. The guy on the right was masking it.

That’s why they are saying it’s good to talk and check in, as unless you ask, you don’t know how people really are.

I hope that helps.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Utterly fantastic.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
A few days ago, I was skimming through some Youtube videos, and I came across one from an American doctor, who after going round the houses a bit, said the number one symptom for magnesium deficiency was fatigue. And then muscle cramps. My son has both of these.

Further reading showed a lack of magnesium in the diet is associated with anxiety and depression. My son has this as well.
I also found magnesium deficiency is associated with - diabetes (wife), high blood pressure (me) and a host of other things I can't remember. Magnesium is necessary for some 350 bodily processes.

Further research is indicated. But at first sight, through the eyes of a layman, it might be worth a visit to a nutritionist, some vitamin/mineral supplements, and eating foods rich in magnesium - leaf greens, nuts, grains, legumes.

I have long been of the opinion, based on a hunch and no evidence at all, that depression - may - and in part - be a function of a chemical imbalance in the brain.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Bloody hell, that's pretty powerful! :confused:
@Papak, it's just pointing out that the people who act like they don't have a care in the world, or the people who act 'strong' can hide things very well. Basically don't assume that because people are coming across as fine, they are fine (I don't mean that you'd assume that, it's just what the video is trying to put across). Just a simple thing of making sure you ask how someone is, shows you care even if you don't really know them.
For all the bitching that goes on here, all petty arguments are forgotten if someone asks for mental health help. Hardest thing is asking for help though. If @Bozza posting this helps even one person to talk to someone about how they're feeling then that's potentially a life saved. (y)

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
First Appointment at the PTSD clinic today (which I’d been dreading for weeks) with MH practitioner - glad to say I feel much better after my half an hour misty eyed monologue - she said I had been ‘traumatised’ by recent life experiences and had PTSD but I think she was the one traumatised by what she was hearing judging by the look on her face as I got up to go 😂

I can tell ya - it feels really refreshing to have a bloody good wobble and spill my guts all over someone who’s paid to mop me up 😁 - another appoint in November.

Very moving video and sadly very true - sometimes emotional pain is just too deep to articulate in every day surroundings or to family and friends.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
First Appointment at the PTSD clinic today (which I’d been dreading for weeks) with MH practitioner - glad to say I feel much better after my half an hour misty eyed monologue - she said I had been ‘traumatised’ by recent life experiences and had PTSD but I think she was the one traumatised by what she was hearing judging by the look on her face as I got up to go 😂

I can tell ya - it feels really refreshing to have a bloody good wobble and spill my guts all over someone who’s paid to mop me up 😁 - another appoint in November.

Very moving video and sadly very true - sometimes emotional pain is just too deep to articulate in every day surroundings or to family and friends.
Many wobbles had by me over recent events, so nothing wrong in that.
Hope you are on the right track, and get the answers you need.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My goodness, that's a good video. It got me thinking.

It made me think about me, and not my son. He's 24, and has had anxiety and depression for years. Once he gets into his funk, has can stay in bed for days. Obviously there is no chance of keeping a job, or a girlfriend. It must have had a deep effect on my wife and myself. She went to the Rock Clinic for a while. But I see my job as to just get on with it.

This week, for three days running, we have taken him out to cycle paths in the country, so that he can go on his electric longboard. That works wonders for him. I missed the Liverpool game as a result. But I didn't mind really. Well, not that much anyway. What is more important? Football, or your son's mental health? Tonight, he is out at nin-jitsu. This has been the best week for a long time. He is in a good place. Thanks for reading this.
Top man. I salute you :bowdown:

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

Just an add on, I don't think the guy on the left was ok, he just wasn't as good at pretending everything was ok, as the guy on the right was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here