Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] World gone Madras?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I went to an English owned Indian restaurant once in Blackpool, they made us pay before they served the food and the starter was Bombay Mix.

Yup, that is SO Blackpool :lolol:

Probably unlicensed as well ? Used to go to one of those at the bottom of Boundary opposite the Blue Anchor, and dive over the road to the pub to buy a few beers from their fridge.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So one person has suggested it then.

Worthy of a public outcry.

:ffsparr:

It's an [MENTION=35196]Is it PotG?[/MENTION] thread. Did you expect anything other than gammon (curry)?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Indeed. Also I used to work with an Italian guy who went absolutely batshit mental if anyone said "Domino's Pizza". (Or Papa John's, or indeed any brand). Cue massive rant about how the Americans had stolen and bastardised Italian culture, aided by traitors who dared to call themselves 'Italian-Americans'. It was a real full-on complete hatstand job.

He took pizza so seriously that he spent well over a grand building his own pizza oven at home. He imported everything, bricks and all, as he didn't trust anything that wasn't Italian.

I love a bit of tradition and authenticity.

I salute the many posts on this thread that have so lovingly upheld the tradition of mocking a pillock thread and a hopeless case of fishing by an OP :bowdown:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I love a bit of tradition and authenticity.

I salute the many posts on this thread that have so lovingly upheld the tradition of mocking a pillock thread and a hopeless case of fishing by an OP :bowdown:
A wonderful, if slightly concerning illustration of the direction in which we are headed.

A global news outlet releases a story, and the helpful sharing of it becomes hopeless fishing by a pillock.

Not worrying times at all.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
A wonderful, if slightly concerning illustration of the direction in which we are headed.

A global news outlet releases a story, and the helpful sharing of it becomes helpless fishing by a pillock.

Global news outlets know that pillocks love clickbait :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

A global news outlet releases a story, and the helpful sharing of it becomes helpless fishing by a pillock.

Don't start getting all serious with me. You were doing well, hovering between the slightly amusing and slightly alarming.

If you plant your feet too firmly in the Das Reich sandpit, the mockery will only intensify.

Keep up the comedy, I genuinely enjoy it :thumbsup:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Don't start getting all serious with me. You were doing well, hovering between the slightly amusing and slightly alarming.

If you plant your feet too firmly in the Das Reich sandpit, the mockery will only intensify.

Keep up the comedy, I genuinely enjoy it :thumbsup:

Well that's reassuring, I (along with many others) am only here for your entertainment 'H'.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

A global news outlet releases a story, and the helpful sharing of it is hopeless fishing by a pillock.

Spot on.
You obviously have no understanding of the incredible intricacies and regional variance of Indian cuisine.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Spot on.
You obviously have no understanding of the incredible intricacies and regional variance of Indian cuisine.

'Indian' and 'cuisine' (snigger) is the dog whistle. Can't be arsed to pursue it any more. The mockery on the thread will suffice.

And [MENTION=35196]Is it PotG?[/MENTION] is nowhere near being put on ignore by me. Reminds me of a lad down the pub who genuinely didn't realise his racist jokes were racist and not funny, and genuinely didn't realise we enjoyed his other jokes and just wished he's stop being a needless tit. :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Stick to making facist proclamations ‘lite,’ there’s nothing less amusing than cheap word play gags.

Playing the man not the ball - poor shout. You may not like him, but there's nothing wrong with that post in the context of this thread. NSC equivalent of lazy journalism there.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Spot on.

A stunning and too common example (and use of the word 'obviously') of a patronising and ignorant assumption based on the square root of sod all.

In my time both working and living across India, my experience of the cuisine was both varied and educationally enjoyable. Visiting remote villages with their mines, being warmly hosted by resident leaders was a highlight of my life's work travels.

To make such crass, sweeping assumptions is appalling, but if it keeps you happy.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A stunning and too common example (and use of the word 'obviously') of a patronising and ignorant assumption based on the square root of sod all.

In my time both working and living across India, my experience of the cuisine was both varied and educationally enjoyable. Visiting remote villages with their mines, being warmly hosted by resident leaders was a highlight of my life's work travels.

To make such crass, sweeping assumptions is appalling, but if it keeps you happy.

So why did you post the Sky news link? You are a worse person if you know better.

Not sure I’d invite you to dinner; “Thankyou that was a most educational meal” is a bit weird.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Okay I clicked!

The headline does suggest 'cancelling' the word but I didn't find anyone in the article actually saying the word should be cancelled.

All the article really did was explain why we are using the word incorrectly and gave a summary of why that happened in the first place. Quite interesting really.

I am going to file under 'click bait article designed to cause outrage' . . . the OP obviously enjoys such misdirection and outrage

All a bit daft really

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I love Massala Dosas, I've tried making them but didn't quite nail it.

I've had them in Southampton and Tooting in the UK, wish there was some place closer!

Used to get Gujarati take on dosas in Brighton at Manju’s down from the station. Two brothers out front and Mum in her 80’s in the kitchen. Haven’t reopened since Covid. Did a short pop up in the Lord Napier last month. Hoping they’ll find somewhere soon.

Looking at their website shows they have followed the cancel curry culture for sometime.

http://manjus.co.uk/

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Okay I clicked!

The headline does suggest 'cancelling' the word but I didn't find anyone in the article actually saying the word should be cancelled.

All the article really did was explain why we are using the word incorrectly and gave a summary of why that happened in the first place. Quite interesting really.

I am going to file under 'click bait article designed to cause outrage' . . . the OP obviously enjoys such misdirection and outrage

All a bit daft really

I haven't clicked, but yes it's all a bit daft. However I do think the word 'curry' is extremely useful as a generic term, e.g. if someone says "Fancy a curry?" you know you're not going to get fish and chips. The word covers authentic dishes from all parts of the Indian sub-continent, plus of course other cultures (such as Thai) and our own popular Anglo-Indian 'takes' on authentic Indian food. (Chicken Tikka Masala was apparently invented in England because the Indian sub-continent immigrants realised the English liked the equivalent of curry, chips and gravy). And not everybody likes all types of curry.

Ultimately objecting to the word 'curry' is like objecting to the term 'beer' as that too takes no account of local varieties or different types of brews.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here