Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup - what have we learned so far?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
2. As usual when they reach the finals, no one else knows how to spell Colombia.

:ffsparr:

This thread has recovered well from such a dreadful start.

Oh, and we've learned that some Spanish players should really have gone out on a high.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
It's got to be more than a coincidence that three world cup winners (Spain, France and Italy) have not even got out of the group stages in the next world cup.

Maybe due to a great team, which by the time of the next World Cup had aged and/or had players retired. Can't blame it on the holders qualifying automatically and not playing any competitive matches, as this only affected France.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
That... ( after watching 12 successive World Cups )...... the group stages are just a dress rehearsal for the knockout phase. It doesn't matter a jot how well you start....its how you finish. History is littered with teams starting slowly but then progressing deep into the tournament....peaking at the right time.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
All I'm thinking about this World Cup, other than it's been bloody brilliant so far, is what an OPPORTUNITY it is for a team outside the usual suspects to win it. There isn't really a compelling case to be made for any of the big names.

Brazil - simply not that good, will buckle sooner or later.
Spain - out.
Argentina - less than impressive in their opening game.
Germany - played well against Portugal but will the lack of strikers come back to bite them?

The field is SO open. I now believe there are an awful lot of teams that could win it, unlike the last one where most people expected Spain to win. The World Cup is a cup competition after all, so it doesn't necessarily follow that the best team or the best players will win. I think we are going to see some big names fall early and I fully expect at least one surprise finalist.

What are you saying?

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
It's got to be more than a coincidence that three world cup winners (Spain, France and Italy) have not even got out of the group stages in the next world cup.

Maybe due to a great team, which by the time of the next World Cup had aged and/or had players retired. Can't blame it on the holders qualifying automatically and not playing any competitive matches, as this only affected France.

Interesting point. Maybe it's down to a reluctance to move on players that you know have been successful, but are a little past their prime.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
That despite many deserving attempts, Mars still have the worst football related advert, possibly ever made, although honourable mention should also go to all those other "English" companies backing "our boys"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here