Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup - Rest Days - Days Eighteen and Nineteen.

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
qatar 2022.jpg

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Plenty of shocks, Germany out in the groups, England through in style and Albion's first 2 World Cup scorers in consecutive days.

It's all been very enjoyable.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thoroughly entertaining fare so far, despite the unexpectedly high number of 0-0 games. No team has been 100% consistent either which makes for an unpredictable tournament. Brazil were brilliant in their round of 16 match but then so were a lot of the teams in the last 8.

It's a shame Japan didn't beat Croatia as WC quarters with an African, Asian, 2 South American and 4 European nations involved would have shown just how the difference between the best and not quite so good were diminishing.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Whilst it’s been interesting watching some Brighton players have genuinely felt emotionless about pretty much all of it. Couldn’t care less who wins. Can’t wait for proper footy to start again.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Been a very good world cup .

Only downsides is the atmosphere has been a bit noddy ( helps that a muslim country still in it ) and VAR was having shockers to start.

Apart from that , been plenty of shocks , no stand out side , entertaining games. Even all the reports back from people there say how good it is , welcoming locals , good atmosphere and plenty of booze at the fan parks .

Literally any of the last 8 could win it ...... yes include Morocco

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

Only downsides is the atmosphere has been a bit noddy ( helps that a muslim country still in it ) and VAR was having shockers to start.

I noticed that the radio commentaries had lots of crowd noise and yet the TV was almost quiet. Thought initially that the TV guys (& girls) weren't really there.
As for the winners. Yes any of the 8 could pull it off on the day but I don't think we'll see any upsets Friday thus bringing the game everybody wants to see, Argentina v Brazil next Tuesday. Saturday and both games are too close to call. Morocco with 35,000 fans on their side could pull off a shock (or would it be). England France is anybodies guess.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Apart from that , been plenty of shocks , no stand out side , entertaining games. Even all the reports back from people there say how good it is , welcoming locals , good atmosphere and plenty of booze at the fan parks .

Do you think Qataris will support fellow Muslims in Morroco ? I wonder if that is a thing….

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So, What do you think of it so far?
I've seen nearly every World Cup game since 1958 (there are some that are difficult to find and some I've not bothered watching) retrospectively (first I saw live on TV was 2002) and this is the best tournament, football wise, since 1998 IMO.

When Spain won the Euros 2008, WC 2010 and then also Euro 2012, I was worried that they had "solved the game". Not that they would win every time but that their style would win every time. Happy to see that this is not the case... lots of variety in tactics and playing style.

Pretty much every team that progressed into the quarter finals are/were really good as well, which is usually not the case. Last time around, Sweden and Russia had no business going that far but no scenario like that in this tournament.

In the QFs I'd say, judging just by player quality on a 1-10 scale, France might be 9/10, Argentina, Brazil and Portugal (now when they've decided to play with 11 guys on the pitch) 8/10, Croatia and England 7/10 and Morocco maybe 5/10 or 6/10. Those small differences doesn't matter a lot at this stage. Only surprise winner at this point would be Morocco and even that isn't much different from Brighton winning against Arsenal, Spurs and United within a few weeks last spring.

Expect every single game left to be exciting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here