Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] World Cup Hangover (not based on Charlton result)

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I am concerned we are going to suffer a real drop off in player form post World Cup. That’s not based on tonight’s result but it certainly has solidified the thought in my mind.

Alexis Mac will be buzzing but his head won’t be in the domestic game for weeks.

Trossard had a really poor experience at the World Cup both in terms of game time and the team results. We know he drops off for weeks at a time and I worry he will now.

Likewise the Ecuadorians and the high of the tournament versus the low of the first round exit.

I think we will really struggle at Southampton; partly because of the above but partly because they only had two players on international duty and we had 8. I would expect them to be much more energetic and cohesive.

Finally I think tonight does emphasise the squad depth issue. We are definitely one or two short.

Would love to be wrong on all the above.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The only area our squad is short is up front. I hate to say it, but Undav looks like another dud. He was dire in the first half (except one brilliant little run which came to nothing when he mis-controlled) and he improved in the second half, but I just don't see him getting up to the required level.

Fair point on WC hang over with respect to Trossard. That was the worst cameo performance I have seen in decades. He looked like a competition winner with a terminal illness.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Would this be particular to us, or shared by other sides?

There's been a whole host of Premier League players out in Qatar, and many of them were in sides that didn't quite have the tournaments they had hoped for.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I am concerned we are going to suffer a real drop off in player form post World Cup. That’s not based on tonight’s result but it certainly has solidified the thought in my mind.

Alexis Mac will be buzzing but his head won’t be in the domestic game for weeks.

Trossard had a really poor experience at the World Cup both in terms of game time and the team results. We know he drops off for weeks at a time and I worry he will now.

Likewise the Ecuadorians and the high of the tournament versus the low of the first round exit.

I think we will really struggle at Southampton; partly because of the above but partly because they only had two players on international duty and we had 8. I would expect them to be much more energetic and cohesive.

Finally I think tonight does emphasise the squad depth issue. We are definitely one or two short.

Would love to be wrong on all the above.
Agree with that and hope we're wrong! It's up to RDZ to sort it out though. He's got to get them ready for a Nathan Jones energetic shithouse Southampton team. I'm not sure he's up to it yet though.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Let's be honest we're all a bit rusty

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Would this be particular to us, or shared by other sides?

There's been a whole host of Premier League players out in Qatar, and many of them were in sides that didn't quite have the tournaments they had hoped for.
I think some other sides but we had one of biggest contingents from the ‘smaller’ clubs and have a weaker squad as a result. I think it could have a disproportionately big impact on us .

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
The problem as I see it is that the players that are the back up, like Enciso, Undav, Colwill, Gilmour, arguably Lamptey etc don’t play. So when we need them now we do have a bit of a World Cup hangover, they aren’t really ready.

They aren’t going to come on and be great when it’s the first game they’ve had in months (ok some of them played against Arsenal but you know what I mean). It’s also not that helpful that he makes lots of changes and plays them all at once so we have lots of rusty/low in form/confidence players all on the pitch at the same time, rather than giving one or two regular game time and rotating a bit.

The odd 10mins at the end of games won’t get any of them up to speed. RDZ either needs to give them enough game time time to play into some form or loan them out/bring in players he is comfortable playing for longer spells in PL games.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
The only area our squad is short is up front. I hate to say it, but Undav looks like another dud. He was dire in the first half (except one brilliant little run which came to nothing when he mis-controlled) and he improved in the second half, but I just don't see him getting up to the required level.

Fair point on WC hang over with respect to Trossard. That was the worst cameo performance I have seen in decades. He looked like a competition winner with a terminal illness.
I think we are short at centre half. With Webster out if Dunk picked up a knock we are relying on youngsters with no experience alongside Veltman. We need one more.

I also think we are short in midfield, if Alexis or Caicedo were out long term the drop off in physicality and energy would be huge. No way Gross or Lallana can do that role and Gilmour looks off it.

Clearly we are desperately short up top! Undav isn’t good enough.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The problem as I see it is that the players that are the back up, like Enciso, Undav, Colwill, Gilmour, arguably Lamptey etc don’t play. So when we need them now we do have a bit of a World Cup hangover, they aren’t really ready.

They aren’t going to come on and be great when it’s the first game they’ve had in months (ok some of them played against Arsenal but you know what I mean). It’s also not that helpful that he makes lots of changes and plays them all at once so we have lots of rusty/low in form/confidence players all on the pitch at the same time, rather than giving one or two regular game time and rotating a bit.

The odd 10mins at the end of games won’t get any of them up to speed. RDZ either needs to give them enough game time time to play into some form or loan them out/bring in players he is comfortable playing for longer spells in PL games.
And then get criticised for dropping/rotating players in a side that is doing well, losing, and everyone saying “why did he drop X when he was playing so well”?

Squad management must be very tricky but I think the continuity has worked in our favour. I think there are clearly some players he isn’t sure about, and tonight *should* have been the chance for them to demonstrate their ability. Sadly, they didn’t

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The only positives from the evening appear to be that RDZ has surely now realised that Undav and Gilmour are both substandard.

Your midfield worry is stretching the point though. Mac and Caicedo are two of the best midfielders in the world - of course we'd miss them. But we have alternatives that are absolutely fine especially when Moder returns.
Anyone better wouldn't come here if they weren't going to start.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
And then get criticised for dropping/rotating players in a side that is doing well, losing, and everyone saying “why did he drop X when he was playing so well”?

Squad management must be very tricky but I think the continuity has worked in our favour. I think there are clearly some players he isn’t sure about, and tonight *should* have been the chance for them to demonstrate their ability. Sadly, they didn’t

That’s you assuming they lose though, no one would notice or care if we win.

That’s also hardly a given if you put one or two players on for 30 or 45 mins in a game. Players and fans understand rotation these days and why it’s done, that someone not playing doesn’t mean they are dropped.

It’s exactly why you are saying though, it’s decided they aren’t good enough because they didn’t play well in this one game. My point is that they are unlikely to given the lack of match time they are getting - a vicious circle.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Maupay - Undav
Cucurella - Pervis
Bissouma - Gilmour

It's definitely weaker isn't it. Then you add in Mwepu. Mitoma is a nice option but we're well short in terms of physicality and as always need a forward. RDZ needs some help.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
All this after one game 😂

Charlton were matchfit, we weren't. We dominated the game (as we should have done), but didn't have the cutting edge. It's not the first time we've lost to a lower team and won't be the last.

Yes it's disappointing that we didn't go further in the cup, but really it was a bit of a 'preseason' game and we were never going to be firing on all cylinders. Other Prem teams will be in similar positions, even those who haven't had players in the WC won't have played a competitive match for a month.

We'll be fine.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea

Charlton were matchfit, we weren't. We dominated the game (as we should have done), but didn't have the cutting edge. It's not the first time we've lost to a lower team and won't be the last.

Yes it's disappointing that we didn't go further in the cup, but really it was a bit of a 'preseason' game and we were never going to be firing on all cylinders. Other Prem teams will be in similar positions, even those who haven't had players in the WC won't have played a competitive match for a month.

We'll be fine.
This. That was a good work out for Boxing Day. Soton will be stone cold.
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the pitch yet, it was dry and bobbly, the likes of Mitoma were struggling to run with the ball, it was the stereotypical leveller tonight.

Hugely frustrating but Charlton were playing for penalties from minute 1 tonight, annoying we couldn’t break them down.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I thought Lamptey was our MoM, so no WC hangover there.

At the other end of the extreme. Trossard. Terrible body language all night. Not sure what's going on there.

We'll be fine.
This. Although Ten Hag praised his world cup players returning to cup action last night as superb🤔🤔

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I thought Lamptey was our MoM, so no WC hangover there.

At the other end of the extreme. Trossard. Terrible body language all night. Not sure what's going on there.
Everyone’s talking about Mac.

Maybe he’s worried that January bid that we would have accepted won’t come in now after his World Cup (which I appreciate isn’t the be all and end all but spotlight off him at the minute)

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
This. That was a good work out for Boxing Day. Soton will be stone cold.
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the pitch yet, it was dry and bobbly, the likes of Mitoma were struggling to run with the ball, it was the stereotypical leveller tonight.

Hugely frustrating but Charlton were playing for penalties from minute 1 tonight, annoying we couldn’t break them down.
Why would Southampton be stone cold? They played and won their league cup tie on Tuesday night.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Everyone’s talking about Mac.

Maybe he’s worried that January bid that we would have accepted won’t come in now after his World Cup (which I appreciate isn’t the be all and end all but spotlight off him at the minute)
More likely the bid has come in and we've said no as its during the season.

scumbag Chelsea I betchya.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here