Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup 2022 playoff

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hoping Poland make it through. Would love to see Jakub in a World Cup.

Koslowski (1 assist) and Karbownik both in the Polish U21 team vs Israel today too, in with a shout of the squad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see Ecuador - missing the suspended Moises Caicedo - are down 2-0 at h/t vs Paraguay, including a defensive howler in the 6th min of added time.

Hopefully, they'll throw on Sarmiento to try and salvage something from the match to get the point they need to guarantee qualification. Other results are going for them so they might be ok anyway.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ecuador update - Sarmiento came on at h/t and had a good half as they gave it a go but went down 3-1. However, with Uruguay's victory over Peru Ecuador qualify for the WC finals in Qatar.

So Caicedo and Sarmiento join Mitoma there - a good day for the Albion.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The fun starts at 1:56:50 and again at 2:00:10 when the table almost goes over.

To be fair to them, they kept their composure quite well all things considered.

I’m assuming Potter was in temporary charge of Italy for this fixture?

78c97b19aebbf440e5c81981799ae6f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
World cup play offs are generally thrilling fixtures. Two places between those 8 in brutal. Exactly how qualifying should be.

The Italy Portugal play off (which is blatantly going to happen) is essential viewing.

I'm picking Czech and Austria to fight it out in the other final, but those 4 are all closely matched.

This guy knows his onions. :thumbsup:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
zlatan.jpg

Not sure I've ever seen Zlatan this happy. All he wants is to finish his career with another World Cup... its the only real reason I want us to go to Qatar.

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Yves Bissouma's chances of playing in Qatar not looking good: this is the first time in many years that Mali have got within touching distance of a world cup, but centre-back Moussa Sissako (no, not the Watford one) has scored a HOWLER of an own-goal to give the Tunisians the lead in the first half of the first leg - Sissoko then got sent off four minutes later.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Crikey, only just found out about Italy, missing two WC’s in a row.

I thought Mancini was meant to be a genius by outwitting Southgate last summer?

Having that amazing CM trio of a Brazilian and Italians, a class above our workmanlike CM’ers, was the real key, imho.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

Having that amazing CM trio of a Brazilian and Italians, a class above our workmanlike CM’ers, was the real key, imho.

A tad disappointing I suppose But there is that small consolation of being European Champions only 9 months ago

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
A tad disappointing I suppose But there is that small consolation of being European Champions only 9 months ago

I bet Italy not making two world cups in a row is considered more than a tad disappointing in Italy. It does seem crazy how them have managed to sandwich winning the euro’s in between two failures to qualify for the World Cup.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Yup.. also not made it out of the group stage since 2006

gmabel830

Aug 12, 2017
Not playoff related, but USA annihilating Panama 4-0 at the half to all but wrap up their WC spot (they will be three points above Costa Rica with a massive GD advantage with one game left against each other).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here