Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Words to Sussex by the Sea going up on the big screens!!!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Cardiff put the words to Men of Harlech on their big screen too.

Did the fans of Cardiff ever sing it with a different set of lyrics or have they only ever used one version, whereas we have used a few (hence the need for a thread asking which version people would prefer after only a couple of hundred fans voted in favour of having the words on display in the first place (a long way from the majority of fans as they claim being in favour of this)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did the fans of Cardiff ever sing it with a different set of lyrics or have they only ever used one version, whereas we have used a few (hence the need for a thread asking which version people would prefer after only a couple of hundred fans voted in favour of having the words on display in the first place (a long way from the majority of fans as they claim being in favour of this)

I don't know, as I've never asked them. Lord Bracknell went to school in Newport and posted on here that there were different versions of that song.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
About time. People seem incapable of learning a couple of verses so this is next best thing. Give it a few games and it should sound great.

Last edited:

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
we are just copying derby who had the words on there big screen

Oh shit, quick, ban all chants other clubs use!

Allez Allez Allez oh, gone.
Albion! Albion! gone.
Hark Now Hear, gone.
Since I was young, gone.
ad infinitum,

All we'll be left with will be SBTS.

Reality is, football is the most unoriginal industry, everyone is nicking something off someone else.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't know, as I've never asked them. Lord Bracknell went to school in Newport and posted on here that there were different versions of that song.

There are: there are at least two different versions that I know of and there could be more

silverwizard

Nov 10, 2009
The original words were sung at Albion matches before Norman Wisdom's version. I know it's a long time ago but I have a clear memory of it being sung when Albion briefly led Burnley (then Div. 1 champions) in the cup tie in 1961. Unfortunately the lead was short-lived so the singing abruptly ended. In those days many fans knew the words of at least the first verse.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I do think there are lot more important things for people to get all huffy about. It's just some words, on a screen. If you know the bloody words anyway then you don't need to look. If you never sing at the football, don't you don't need to look either. If you want to der der der, you still can. If you want to sing "win the cup", then sing it. It's not's rocket science and I really don't see why those people who want to do what they always have done are getting all het up. Personally, I think it's great that a section of fans want to celebrate our uniqueness by singing the county anthem.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Which version btw?

The original version of GOSBTS which we have never sung at matches?
Or one where the lyrics are nearer to one of the many football related versions that we have sung over the decades? - If so, which one?

(how long before a Palace thread on BBS taking the mickey out of us for not knowing the words to our own anthem to such an extent that we need this?)

Whatever the words are I'm going to sing out extra loud tomorrow to try and drown out the sound of your whining.

The club have announced that the words to Sussex by the Sea are going up on the big screens tomorrow on a trial. Firstly, I would like to thank the club for listening to the supporters, and thank the 76.43% who voted in favour of this.

[Tweet]576396769040461824[/Tweet]

I've already seen the inevitable moans and groans about it! :lolol: But it was a majority decision!!!

I'm just hoping now that my small campaign a few weeks ago leads to something great tomorrow. I'm pleading that everyone gets behind it and sings the words to create a fantastic atmosphere for the team!!!

The club want to know people's opinions after the game. I'm sure lots will be quick to complain as it's new, so lets get a load of positive ones in! :wink:

Looking forward to an improved pre-match atmosphere tomorrow, Come on everyone, Altogether now...!

:albion2::albion2::albion2:

It gets worse:facepalm:

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Oh shit, quick, ban all chants other clubs use!

Allez Allez Allez oh, gone.
Albion! Albion! gone.
Hark Now Hear, gone.
Since I was young, gone.
ad infinitum,

All we'll be left with will be SBTS.

Reality is, football is the most unoriginal industry, everyone is nicking something off someone else.
i never said that ffs

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It gets worse:facepalm:

Oh no, they are going to make us all stand and sing our anthem. I've heard that if you don't sing, you will be made to stand in a room with the Palace coach driver, and when he has performed his party piece, you will be made to clear it up with left over clackers from the play off game.

For christs sake, if you don't want to read the words, don't look at the screens. I've never heard such a moaning bunch of old women as there is on here. The club is trying to improve the atmosphere, and all they get is 'REAL fans' carping cos they think kids etc should know the words to a hundred year old Regimental march.
And, before you ask , I do know the words

Oh no, they are going to make us all stand and sing our anthem. I've heard that if you don't sing, you will be made to stand in a room with the Palace coach driver, and when he has performed his party piece, you will be made to clear it up with left over clackers from the play off game.

For christs sake, if you don't want to read the words, don't look at the screens. I've never heard such a moaning bunch of old women as there is on here. The club is trying to improve the atmosphere, and all they get is 'REAL fans' carping cos they think kids etc should know the words to a hundred year old Regimental march.
And, before you ask , I do know the words
:thumbsup::timmy:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why thanks. And this sort of preachy bullshit attitude is why I really don't care for the words on the screen stuff. 31 years of going and I've barely ever heard the "correct" version sung home or away. It's always been "der der der der - and we're going up to win the cup etc" which as far as I'm concerned is the anthem that I've always known. Now, if the majority want to try getting the crowd to sing the "correct" words and essentially redefine the anthem that's fine and I'll join in and credit to those who are trying to do something constructive but don't tell me I'm an idiot. There are a lot of atmosphere issues at the Amex but in my humble opinion Sussex by the Sea isn't one of them.

You chose to be an idiot. I had no idea. But thanks for clearing up, the words on the screen will help you before the big test at the end of the season!! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here