Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's World Cup

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what an absolute farce of VAR. ignores the other foul too.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nigeria putting it about a bit.

I bet they give Nigeria a pen, now.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I really hope they don’t introduce this ‘ref explaining it’ business in the PL. You still get the same bad decisions and it just makes the ref even more the centre of attention. Building up VAR’s part instead of making it less disruptive. The conversation it’d be good to hear is the one the ref is having with VAR, otherwise don’t bother.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Obviously would've loved to have a penalty there, but if it had been against us I would've been disappointed. Thought Daly made a bit much of it. England definitely under the cosh at the back! 😱

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
If the VAR said "there's enough contact to keep your decision but I don't want to encourage future Mrs Tumbles" then I very much applaud them.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's one of those that in cricket feels like Umpire's call. Had the ref not given it I wouldn't have expected VAR to give it, but equally it wasn't a clear enough error to be overturned once the ref has given it. Hate VAR. She does go down very easily though.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I really hope they don’t introduce this ‘ref explaining it’ business in the PL. You still get the same bad decisions and it just makes the ref even more the centre of attention. Building up VAR’s part instead of making it less disruptive. The conversation it’d be good to hear is the one the ref is having with VAR, otherwise don’t bother.

They aren’t really explaining anything other than what the decision is. There isn’t anything the ref is saying that isn’t already covered by the big screen displaying “No Penalty, No Foul by player X”.

If like in cricket or rugby the VAR conversation could be heard then you’d hear the thought process in coming to the decision but this ref announcing the decision gimmick is a bit pointless.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Thing is, the 'explanation' isn't an explanation, it's just a vocal version of the decision! We still don't know why it was overturned....

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They aren’t really explaining anything other than what the decision is. There isn’t anything the ref is saying that isn’t already covered by the big screen displaying “No Penalty, No Foul by player X”.

If like in cricket or rugby the VAR conversation could be heard then you’d hear the thought process in coming to the decision but this ref announcing the decision gimmick is a bit pointless.
exactly

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

Shambolic shit from Football. If ref says “Daly invites contact to initiate a foul in the box so no penalty” then fair enough. But just saying no penalty WTF.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

I think there are just too many people working around football nowadays that don’t actually ‘get’ or love the sport for what it is. They see VAR as part of the drama. Not far removed from all that ‘countdown to kick-off’ shit and Wembley’s DJ that they think is needed to make it a big event. The football IS the big event.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Nigeria are fitter and stronger than everyone on our side apart from James. First time I've seen a women's team actually bully an opponent.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It's incredible to me that some people thought it WAS a penalty. It's obviously a little bit of contact which Daly then made a full three course meal out of. Never a penalty, well done to the referee.

I came into the thread to quote a line from the commentary which was absolutely ridiculous and an appalling use of the English language;

"If anyone was sleeping on her ability, they've woken up now".

There's no place in football commentary for such language.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It's incredible to me that some people thought it WAS a penalty. It's obviously a little bit of contact which Daly then made a full three course meal out of. Never a penalty, well done to the referee.

I came into the thread to quote a line from the commentary which was absolutely ridiculous and an appalling use of the English language;

"If anyone was sleeping on her ability, they've woken up now".

There's no place in football commentary for such language.

I agree. Would've been soft. No issues with sleeping on line though.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Don’t usually watch women’s football, I’ll be honest, watching this one reminds me of the Englands men’s team of a few years ago… totally devoid of ideas tactically at times, wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Nigerian win this.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Commentators being very hard on England. The Nigerians were never going to be a pushover, they're a strong physical side and whilst had the better chances in the first half, have sat back most of the second hoping to counter. Yeah England are finding it tough, but they're still right in this.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think there are just too many people working around football nowadays that don’t actually ‘get’ or love the sport for what it is. They see VAR as part of the drama. Not far removed from all that ‘countdown to kick-off’ shit and Wembley’s DJ that they think is needed to make it a big event. The football IS the big event.
All true.

It's the same with the transfer bullshit. A lot of people, and particularly the social media generation seem to much prefer that to the actual football these days. Which has led to the absolutely hideous talk of 'winning the transfer window' 🤮

Even on here which is generally/wholly more mature football fans, some get far too excited and carried away with it all.

It's all bollocks. Football is beautiful, it doesn't need the sideshows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here